What's new

I thought you guys were crazy

So here I was shaving with everything from disposables to Gillette's offerings, until they went through the rafters with the pricing of their cartridges, and finally settling on the Schick Hydro 5. Although I had no problem with the Hydro it sometimes felt like mowing a lawn with a 100" mower as I pulled it across my face trying to get everything shaved in one sweep.

I heard all the talk about the DE razor and was pretty intrigued. Even at 49 I still remember being a kid watching my father stand by the bathroom basin shaving with his DE, shaving seemed so much cooler back then. He was a commercial fisherman and I remember him telling me the real treat was coming home after 10-14 days at sea and heading to the barbershop to get a shave and a haircut. Of course the save was done by a skilled barber with a straight edge razor.

But I had a hard time believing that I could get as close of a shave as the Hydro without tearing myself to pieces. Surely the technology going into these modern razors is superior than a DE isn't it? At any rate, I thought what the heck, and ordered a very inexpensive DE through Amazon that came with a pack of Bluebird and Feather blades. Boy was I wrong, after 2 shaves my face is every bit as smooth, if not more, than the Hydro 5, I didn't think that was possible. Yes I had a couple of small nicks as I learn the ropes, but it was the experience, I felt like I was really shaving. Without opening a can of worms, there was something that felt manly about it that's a kick back to the days when men were men and women were women.

I think I'll use this for a while and then invest into a merkur or something similar.

Like yourself, I got a cheap DE first (Feather with a plastic handle) and MAN is it a nice little shaver! Then I wanted one that was all metal, so I got a Wieshi. It shaves well too, but not as good quality build as I would like.

So, I recently got a Merkur. Made in Soligen, Germany. I'm impressed. I love it. Well built and I have gotten a couple of really good close shaves with it.

Then I got a hankerin' for my dad's old Gillette. I found it (or one exactly like it) on Ebay. It's on its way as I type this.

I think four will be enough for me. At least, for a while.

I started last September with a jagger de-87 a pack of derby's that was included with the razor, a puck of Vdh and a Walmart boar brush. Then I started lurking on B&B and joined. After that it was all over. To me wet shaving is now a lifestyle.

I started last September with a jagger de-87 a pack of derby's that was included with the razor, a puck of Vdh and a Walmart boar brush. Then I started lurking on B&B and joined. After that it was all over. To me wet shaving is now a lifestyle.
+1000. I started with a Parker SR1 and a VDH boar brush. I was actually pretty secretive about it, at first. I was concerned my friends and family would think I lost my mind. After I discovered B&B, that was when I realized I am not alone. I'm now pretty open about it, have bought more razors than I will ever need, and am full-blown obsessed. My next tattoo is going to be a straight razor with "Ockham" written on the scales.

Welcome to DE shaving! It will only get better. The four and five blade cartridge razors actually cause more irritation by lifting the hair and cutting it so that it drops beneath the skin. I couldn't figure out why I kept getting ingrown hairs in my neck all the time when I was buying super expensive cartridge razors. Since I've switched to DE my face feels much better and I haven't had a single ingrown hair. One blade really is better than four or five.

Now you've gone and done it. Better just go ahead and apply for a loan now, hahaha.

But seriously, congratulations on making the switch. Your face thanks you.

I think I'll use this for a while and then invest into a merkur or something similar.
...and then a couple-three vintage Gillettes, an Edwin Jagger, a Muhle R41 just for the challenge, a travel razor, a Cadet or Fat Tip just to see how an inexpensive "decent" razor shaves, and then an Above The Tie for $185, and then in 3 months you'll wonder "How the h3ll did I collect all this in 3 months? I thought I was going to save money?"

SUCKER!!!!!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Congratulations on seeing the sunshine. Try to bring some of your friends along for the ride. They will thank you for it.

Ahhh... Another convert. Welcome to the right side of shaving. Now clear an area on your vanity top and let the collecting disorder flow. :w00t:

Top Bottom