What's new

I think she's trying to kill me

Howdy all! Lately, I've been training in preparation for my local fire department's hiring process, the first step of which is the CPAT (physical testing). Now, strength has never been an issue for me; I lift weights every day, alternating between heavy-set legs and upper body, with a lot of core on both days. Well, I realized I need to work on my endurance and cardio. To this end, I thought it would be fun for SWMBO and I to go for a run together. Well, I somehow forgot that she used to run cross-country competitively. Hence, our definitions of a "short jog" are very different. I thought, a half-mile, no sweat. Have to start somewhere, right? I'm good in a sprint (I used to be a middle linebacker and kickoff wedge-breaker in college), but a mile is about as far as I can go at one stretch, and I will have to walk half of it. It doesn't help that- due to my bulky musculature- I waddle when I run. Well, so off we went.
5 miles and 2 hours later, we got back to my apartment. SWMBO had a healthy blush and a little perspiration, while I was drenched and wheezing like an asthmatic water buffalo. I passed out on the couch and woke up 8 hours later, sore to my marrow. Anyone have any suggestions to increase my endurance without killing myself? I can do half a mile at a quick jog, but I peter out beyond that. It doesn't seem to be getting any better. If it helps, the actual endurance portion of the FD test is to go three and a half minutes on a Stairmaster (set at 60 steps per minute) with 75 pounds strapped to my back. Help please!

Last edited:
Pay attention to how your feet are landing as well as your running form. Actual running shoes that are properly will make a huge difference to how your legs will feel the next day.

As far as running out of breath, that's just a matter of increasing your endurance through practice. Run a mile, then briskly walk a mile, etc. That way you still get the distance, but you get a breather. After you get comfortable with that first mile increase it to 1.5 or 2 miles. Progress like you would shave I guess is a good way to think about it.

End note, YMMV (couldn't help myself with the pun).

Endurance starts with mental toughness and refusing to quit. That being said you need to gradually increase your endurance by pushing your endurance. Each day go a little further and before you know it you'll be making big gains.

From my military training, we built endurance doing LSD(long slow distance) runs using the Airborne shuffle. Very slow shuffling runs between 10 and 15 miles. Slowly building the amount of weight bearing in our packs. Good luck Nate.

From my military training, we built endurance doing LSD(long slow distance) runs using the Airborne shuffle. Very slow shuffling runs between 10 and 15 miles. Slowly building the amount of weight bearing in our packs. Good luck Nate.

Good way to build shin splints too. I hated airborne shuffling.

Thanks Tony! That sounds like it would be particularly beneficial for the requirements of the department test. Might have to start with shorter distances, but you have to walk before you can run! Or shuffle, as the case may be.

Thanks Tony! That sounds like it would be particularly beneficial for the requirements of the department test. Might have to start with shorter distances, but you have to walk before you can run! Or shuffle, as the case may be.

Like Jason said, it comes with a bit of a price. Wear good footwear and choose a surface to train on that won't tear up your shins.

You might consider paying attention to your heart rate. Endurance is built with aerobic exercise. Find out what your max heart rate is and then work with an effort that is between 70-80% of that max for an extended period, e.g. 30 minutes. Doesn't matter what you do, cycling, running, stairmaster, etc. it's the extended work effort that matters. The key is to watch your breathing, if you're out of breath, then you're moving from aerobic effort to anaerobic effort, which won't help with your endurance.

Now, it's been ages since I've considered any of this so you might want to do some research on the actual numbers for this; mine are a rough example only. I'm sure someone around here can hone these concepts for you.

If you want to increase power, e.g. climbing stairs with weight, increase the effort for shorter periods. Mix these in with your endurance workouts.

You and me both brother. These days like has more to do with it than during my military years. :wink2:

Years ago on a motorcycle camping trip with some friends and a cold snap came in. When I mentioned getting a hotel room the others said I'd survive. To hell with survival, I did that already, I want to be comfortable now.

Years ago on a motorcycle camping trip with some friends and a cold snap came in. When I mentioned getting a hotel room the others said I'd survive. To hell with survival, I did that already, I want to be comfortable now.

Haha, I feel you there. I had someone ask me recently if I wanted to go camping. I "camped" in a GP medium with nine of my closest friends for a year in Bosnia once and I've had no inclination to camp since then. If I ever need to survive I know how but here's to hoping I never have to!

Last edited:
You might consider paying attention to your heart rate. Endurance is built with aerobic exercise. Find out what your max heart rate is and then work with an effort that is between 70-80% of that max for an extended period, e.g. 30 minutes. Doesn't matter what you do, cycling, running, stairmaster, etc. it's the extended work effort that matters. The key is to watch your breathing, if you're out of breath, then you're moving from aerobic effort to anaerobic effort, which won't help with your endurance.

Now, it's been ages since I've considered any of this so you might want to do some research on the actual numbers for this; mine are a rough example only. I'm sure someone around here can hone these concepts for you.

If you want to increase power, e.g. climbing stairs with weight, increase the effort for shorter periods. Mix these in with your endurance workouts.

This a far more informed response than mine. So please do consider this Nate. My experience with fitness is a tad Neanderthal.

Strangely enough she didn't think it was humorous when I suggested they go camping and I'd stay at the nearest Holiday Inn. I'll never figure women out I guess. :001_cool:

Do some interval training. If running on the street, sprint from on light pole or telephone pole to the next and then jog one. Then sprint two light pole distances and jog one etc. Or, go to a running track and sprint the straight aways and jog the curves. Do this for four laps for the first week, six laps the next week, eight the next and stay at eight laps. In the gym do the eliptical after every workout shooting for a 30 minute/2 mile run. This will help your time when running on real surfaces. Also a kettle bell routine will immediately add to your cardio endurance faster than any running will. This is what I did in the army and it worked extremely well. Good luck.

Do some interval training. If running on the street, sprint from on light pole or telephone pole to the next and then jog one. Then sprint two light pole distances and jog one etc. Or, go to a running track and sprint the straight aways and jog the curves. Do this for four laps for the first week, six laps the next week, eight the next and stay at eight laps. In the gym do the eliptical after every workout shooting for a 30 minute/2 mile run. This will help your time when running on real surfaces. Also a kettle bell routine will immediately add to your cardio endurance faster than any running will. This is what I did in the army and it worked extremely well. Good luck.

Excellent. We used to call it Fartlek training. Very beneficial. Plus I like saying Fartlek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

Top Bottom