What's new

I think my taste buds must be off or something

I'll grab some of those, thanks for the tip. I also want to get a brick of tobacco I can cut my own flakes of at some point

Once every few days, sometimes a week in between

Those are labeled as plugs, Samuel Gaweth, Gawith and Hoggarth, Peterson, and GL pease all make plug cuts that are highly regarded. Be careful many are fairly potent.

Those are labeled as plugs, Samuel Gaweth, Gawith and Hoggarth, Peterson, and GL pease all make plug cuts that are highly regarded. Be careful many are fairly potent.
Will do. Probably won't order one of those until I get used to stronger blends

I like the McClelland Dark Navy Flake, it's a real mild flavor. I've also had 1792, and I can appreciate the uniqueness of the flavor, honestly every time I've smoked it I've almost had my lunch revisit me. I don't know what it is, if it's the high vitamin N content or what, but that one for me is enjoyed in small doses. The only thing I don't like about flakes is how temperamental they can be with lighting and staying lit.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Both are good tobaccos. However to get the most out of light VA flakes you really need to be comfortable going low and slow. I'd recommend SG Navy Flake or Peterson's Irish Oak (not a flake) both rich tasting blends that take a fair bit of abuse without biting about medium in strength.
I will second the SG Navy Flake. It is a good change for me (I am about a 75% Sqadron Leader smoker)

I'll likely be hitting up a local tobacco shop this afternoon, as I need pipe cleaners and some other items so I'll see if they have any of these there. Last time I only looked at their bulk blends, nothing tinned.

They had precious little in the way of tinned tobacco (they are really a cigar shop I suppose) but I got m hands on a tin of Villiger 1888 After Dinner, which is a flake tobacco made of "Mature flue-cured Virginia with Louisiana Perique." It was overpriced, but hey. Online reviews seem to say it's good stuff

Don't feel bad. I never smoked before pipes and still don't smoke often and still can't taste anything from a majority of aromatics. Also keep in mind that aros are prone to lose flavor with age.

My personal advice, switch to non-aromatics. Don't be afraid of the strong Balkan blends. In direct defiance of traditional rules of starting with mild stuff, I've found I enjoy full flavor in pipe tobacco, cigars, and scotch. I tried all the light stuff and never enjoyed it.

My favourite PLUG tobacco is Sam Gawith's Kendal Plug. Trouble is, I can't find it anywhere here in the UK even though we make it! It's a nice, sweet straight medium strength Virginia.

Got my last block from Syneco in Switzerland!

I got m hands on a tin of Villiger 1888 After Dinner, which is a flake tobacco made of "Mature flue-cured Virginia with Louisiana Perique."
So what'd you think?

In case you haven't tried it yet, it's a VaPer from the description so be careful to sip it and not smoke it too hot.

My favourite PLUG tobacco is Sam Gawith's Kendal Plug. Trouble is, I can't find it anywhere here in the UK even though we make it! It's a nice, sweet straight medium strength Virginia.

Got my last block from Syneco in Switzerland!

Is that plug and twist the same? I remember seeing kendall twist on mistersnuff.com

Also, it's not on their website for order, but Gauntley's in Nottingham looks like they stock a full selection of Sam Gawith plug tobaccos.

Just basing on what I've seen on the internet, never been to UK. I hope that might help.

There are similarities in the names even... Vanilla Cream, Christmas Cookie and No Bite Delite just scream out to me that they are similiar. Look at the composition of all these blends and you will probably notice a lot of similarites with the tobacco used even. I would be more concerned if you said the No Bite Delite or vanilla cream tasted just like an English blend.

So what'd you think?

In case you haven't tried it yet, it's a VaPer from the description so be careful to sip it and not smoke it too hot.
It was pretty good. I was outside and did the fold and stuff method so it was hard to keep it lit without going hot, but it did taste different from the aros.

Top Bottom