What's new

I think I’ve lost it

Great advice above!

It looks like you have to go back to your old, effective routine. Give yourself some time and be a bit patient. I suggest you approach this as if you were starting over with special care to each aspect of your shave.

The ’good news’ is that you already know what works, so I predict a rapid ‘re-learning curve!’:popc:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Quick update gentleman.

Had a shave today after 4 days off. WTG/ATG above jawline. Under jaw a mix of XTG/ATG on a few areas.

The same irritated spot from the past weeks still seems to be tender somehow. Just a WTG/XTG pass and you can feel the skin is not 100% ready for a normal shave. Visually, nothing, but the feeling is there.

I’ve never had an irritated spot take so long to heal, like it’s still there just waiting for a mistake to “wake up” again.

Have you guys ever experienced something like this? 2 or 3 days was all that it ever took to heal anything, as bad as it could be. Not this time. Intriguing…

I’ll continue with caution, eventually I think it’ll go away, I hope.

Overall, a nice shave. That’s the current status.
Could be an ingrown hair.

~doug~

Great advice above!

It looks like you have to go back to your old, effective routine. Give yourself some time and be a bit patient. I suggest you approach this as if you were starting over with special care to each aspect of your shave.

The ’good news’ is that you already know what works, so I predict a rapid ‘re-learning curve!’:popc:
Hope you’re right! 🙂
Could be an ingrown hair.

~doug~
Man I was just thinking about that!

The thing is, I have that image of ingrown hairs, all red, inflamed, bumpy and so on… I’ve never had that.

But I was closely looking that spot on my under jaw and maybe it could be a mild case of ingrown, not overly inflamed or red. Just enough not to look terrible but to feel discomfort while shaving.

There’s indeed some really mild red spots, so mild that it’s not easily spotted.

I’ll try some salicylic acid scrub and some aspirin over that spot.

Thank you for that input!

Gentlemen, quick dermatologist visit.

Mild inflammatory reaction on that specific spot. Nothing major or bacterial, but skin is injured.

No salicylic acid face wash, nothing exfoliating for now.

7 days treatment with anti inflammatory cream, no shaving ideally.

This new razors rotation madness, trial and error, good shaves and bad shaves, was indeed harsh and something to learn from.

Easy and slower steps from now on. RAD is a slippery road.

It may have been seven days.

Have things improved, @Alex Jr ?
After one week of cream and rest the first shave still showed signs of irritation, at the same spot.

Further talks with the doctor and it became clear that the outer layer of skin was quite damaged and dehydrated as a consequence.

It seems that new razors, constant not so great shaves and bad exfoliation, alcohol aftershaves and salicylic acid cleansers (chemical exfoliant) created a perfect storm of over exfoliated and dry inflamed skin.

I don’t use balms, never. Now I do.

I’m shaving WTG only with my Muhle R41, and abusing on skin hydration and repairing.

I’m noticing irritation decreasing day by day. It’s a healing process, but I’m getting there.

What a lesson!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you for the update, @Alex Jr Looking forward to your triumphant return to shaving how you want without suffering and your rockstar-like addiction to shea butter and hyaluronic acid along the way.

Maybe you’ll become an expert at super close, super comfortable single pass WTG shaves with your R41?

lasta

Blade Biter
Rather than balms, cleansers, anti-inflammatory creams and dermatologist visits, maybe try a simpler approach?

Boxers get punched in the face 100 times in a bout, it still hurts but they get used to it.

Do the same to your trouble spot, beat it into submission. Shave everyday, ATG, stick to it for 3 months and see where things end up.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Very strange. I hope you find your groove again. Wondering if some element that was introduced may be part of the problem. Perhaps a different blade or soap or pre-shave?

Thank you for the update, @Alex Jr Looking forward to your triumphant return to shaving how you want without suffering and your rockstar-like addiction to shea butter and hyaluronic acid along the way.

Maybe you’ll become an expert at super close, super comfortable single pass WTG shaves with your R41?
That’s exactly what I’m doing. And surprisingly I’m getting great WTG shaves! But I can’t live without my ATG pass 😂
Rather than balms, cleansers, anti-inflammatory creams and dermatologist visits, maybe try a simpler approach?

Boxers get punched in the face 100 times in a bout, it still hurts but they get used to it.

Do the same to your trouble spot, beat it into submission. Shave everyday, ATG, stick to it for 3 months and see where things end up.
Yep, tried that. Initially I just ignored it. No good. Just got worse.

No problem, I’ve always shaved 2 passes ATG, I’ll be back. Slowly and each day the skin is getting better.
Very strange. I hope you find your groove again. Wondering if some element that was introduced may be part of the problem. Perhaps a different blade or soap or pre-shave?
Nope. Just different razors.

Like previously said, as I began having some bad shaves with these new razors, I kept pushing it, first mistake.

Second, once irritation settled in, I continued using exfoliating products that were already part of my routine. Results? Over exfoliating and inflammation.

That combo seriously damaged an area under my jawline.

Good news is that skin regenerates, and with proper hydration I’m getting there.

I was shaving 1 or even 2 pass ATG with my eyes closed for a long time, with my usual small rotation, just a daily autopilot routine.

The lesson here, take it easy when changing gear.

The lesson is that razors that won’t let you comfortably shave steep ATG from start to finish are hurty and gross and usually should be avoided. Also, yay balms!
Oh steep ATG… you’re the best, how I miss you…😂😂

Well said!

Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear and read about your mishaps in shaving lately. First:
I’m really sorry to bother you guys with these weird out of the blue shaving set backs.
No such thing brother! This is what we are here for! Help each other out to give you better shaves.

It is good you let your skin rest a period of time. I had the worst shave ever with a R41 clone and took me some days to get my skin back into the game (pun intended).

My suggestion would be to take out the Fatip, grt a really slick and nurturing soap and with no pressure use the Fatip for two-pass shaves for a week to rebuild your micro muscle. Use your preferred blade to rule out dependencies.

I’m shaving WTG only with my Muhle R41, and abusing on skin hydration and repairing.
I would be inclined to say to leave the R41 in storage until you’re back in the saddle again.

As for strokes the Gillette Slide might help you too: WXTG in one pass reduces irritation.

Cheers,

Guido

Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear and read about your mishaps in shaving lately. First:

No such thing brother! This is what we are here for! Help each other out to give you better shaves.

It is good you let your skin rest a period of time. I had the worst shave ever with a R41 clone and took me some days to get my skin back into the game (pun intended).

My suggestion would be to take out the Fatip, grt a really slick and nurturing soap and with no pressure use the Fatip for two-pass shaves for a week to rebuild your micro muscle. Use your preferred blade to rule out dependencies.

I would be inclined to say to leave the R41 in storage until you’re back in the saddle again.

As for strokes the Gillette Slide might help you too: WXTG in one pass reduces irritation.

Cheers,

Guido
That’s what I love about the shaving world.

Actually, the R41 feels incredibly easy and smooth for me, if used properly.

Fatip felt harsh, so harsh that I sold the FOCS. Still have the piccolo, time to revisit it maybe.

I’m actually getting some nice shaves WTG only, pretending I’m using a straight razor, literally.

Stretching the skin a lot, trying to effectively cut the whiskers, inch by inch.

It’s amazing how much you can make a WTG pass highly effective if your hair is standing up with a proper stretch!

Ah! Ok, well the R41 is an amazing shaver indeed. I find her quite comfortable actually. You just have to take your time and indeed if you do the R41 will give you a very closer shave even only WTG. I love that of mileages may vary. I proposed the Fatip as I find that one just a notch more comfortable than the R41. But then again I find my NEW Improved also comfortable and smooth whereas others find it harsh.

Personally I would be careful with skin stretching. For me that can lead to ingrown hairs if I do it too much.

But all in all Alex, see that you are finding your way again?! You are already better off than you were prior to this ordeal.

Keep it up!!

Guido

Ah! Ok, well the R41 is an amazing shaver indeed. I find her quite comfortable actually. You just have to take your time and indeed if you do the R41 will give you a very closer shave even only WTG. I love that of mileages may vary. I proposed the Fatip as I find that one just a notch more comfortable than the R41. But then again I find my NEW Improved also comfortable and smooth whereas others find it harsh.

Personally I would be careful with skin stretching. For me that can lead to ingrown hairs if I do it too much.

But all in all Alex, see that you are finding your way again?! You are already better off than you were prior to this ordeal.

Keep it up!!

Guido
It’s great how some setbacks put you in a position to discover new things. Maybe that’s what’s all about.

My shaves were kind of auto mode. WTG and 2 ATG pass. The same everyday. No nicks, cuts, irritation.

No time wasted. Fast.

Then RAD kicked in, and a few bad shaves later, I’m here.

Fortunately, I’ve never had any problems with ingrown hairs. But stretching sure has its limits. It’s been fun trying to get the best shaves WTG only.

One more lesson. Your skin can be severely dehydrated, even damaged like mine, without obvious signs.

Shaving aside, my face looked normal and healthy during the day. Oh but it wasn’t.

During all this, my skin never felt dry. Never. Oh but it was.

I’ve always just used an alcohol AS and sunscreen. It lacked hydration.

A lot.

Your skin can be severely dehydrated, even damaged like mine, without obvious signs.
Check! That’s what got me over the edge from electric shaving too wet shaving again. LOTH see a huge difference at least.
I’ve always just used an alcohol AS and sunscreen. It lacked hydration.
I included alcohol only after a few months, but I have used balm from the start. I think the combination works wonders on my skin.

And as Cal usually says: always good to keep wearing your white-belt when shaving. Note to learn that way!
Guido

Check! That’s what got me over the edge from electric shaving too wet shaving again. LOTH see a huge difference at least.

I included alcohol only after a few months, but I have used balm from the start. I think the combination works wonders on my skin.

And as Cal usually says: always good to keep wearing your white-belt when shaving. Note to learn that way!
Guido
Yep, exactly!

Live and learn 🙌

Quick question guys.

I’ve been using for some time a water spray containing B5/panthenol, followed by a balm with the same ingredients. (On my face)

Panthenol is known for strengthening the hair, making it more “healthy” and strong.

For you mad scientists out there, could that be something making the whiskers even harder and stiffer to shave?

That would explain the tugging, hurting and weepers ATG.

By the way, correlated or not, I didn’t use anything other than aftershave when I had wonderful autopilot shaves.
Quick question guys.

I’ve been using for some time a water spray containing B5/panthenol, followed by a balm with the same ingredients. (On my face)

Panthenol is known for strengthening the hair, making it more “healthy” and strong.

For you mad scientists out there, could that be something making the whiskers even harder and stiffer to shave?

That would explain the tugging, hurting and weepers ATG.

By the way, correlated or not, I didn’t use anything other than aftershave when I had wonderful autopilot shaves.
I also used D Pantanol, skin. burned and an allergic reaction began. I can't explain it, but I think you should stop using it and see if it's not so bad.

I also used D Pantanol, skin. burned and an allergic reaction began. I can't explain it, but I think you should stop using it and see if it's not so bad.
Already stopped it. Now using cerave Pm moisturizer only. Great cream.

Top Bottom