What's new

I think I’ve lost it

Flitting from one razor to another every day is not for everyone (it certainly isn't for me) Alas, it appears it isn't for you either.

On the bright side, you already know which razors give you great shaves so perhaps ditch the new acquisitions...?
Many of us here are batshyte crazy with the number of razors, brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves, blades, whatever that we seem to think we need. I recently returned a couple razors which worked fine but were pointless in that they shaved no differently than most of my others. I still have 15 or so razors in rotation which means a razor gets used once every two weeks (or less if I use the same razor for a few days). It's insanity. Same with brushes and software. But needs have little to do with wants. ;)

Flitting from one razor to another every day is not for everyone (it certainly isn't for me) Alas, it appears it isn't for you either.

On the bright side, you already know which razors give you great shaves so perhaps ditch the new acquisitions...?
I usually give it some time before getting rid of it. But yeah, some of them are still being tested.

Gents, this is new to me.

I’ve been doing this for over a decade, great shaves always, autopilot mode.

I’ve always kept a small rotation, EJ89, progress, Fatip. Lately, RAD kicked in and I’ve acquired lots of different razors.

I began having trouble shaving ATG under jaw and neck with some of these new ones, as reported in another thread.

The sequence of bad shaves was so constant that I’ve decided to put a stop to the rotation madness for a while and go back to my comfort zone.

To my surprise, my comfort zone is gone.

It’s like I tried to change my technique so much trying to adapt to new razors that I’ve messed up what was a perfect autopilot task.

I’ve destroyed my under chin/neck 3 days in a row shaving ATG with razors that I could shave with my eyes closed a few weeks ago!

I don’t know what kind of madness this is, but it’s like I’ve lost my hand skills. And there’s nothing worse than beginning an ATG pass with an insecure hand and “fear” of getting hurt.

It seems like a crazy story, and it is. I don’t know what the heck is going on.

I’ll take an even further step back and shave only with a mix of XTG and sliiiiiiiiiiightly carefull ATG under jaw/chin/neck and go from there.

I may have to learn again what I’ve done perfectly for quite some time. 🤷‍♂️
No need to panic. At all.
You'll get there.
As a matter of fact: once you get the hang of it again, you'll be an even better shaver.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Gents, this is new to me.

I’ve been doing this for over a decade, great shaves always, autopilot mode.

I’ve always kept a small rotation, EJ89, progress, Fatip. Lately, RAD kicked in and I’ve acquired lots of different razors.

I began having trouble shaving ATG under jaw and neck with some of these new ones, as reported in another thread.

The sequence of bad shaves was so constant that I’ve decided to put a stop to the rotation madness for a while and go back to my comfort zone.

To my surprise, my comfort zone is gone.

It’s like I tried to change my technique so much trying to adapt to new razors that I’ve messed up what was a perfect autopilot task.

I’ve destroyed my under chin/neck 3 days in a row shaving ATG with razors that I could shave with my eyes closed a few weeks ago!

I don’t know what kind of madness this is, but it’s like I’ve lost my hand skills. And there’s nothing worse than beginning an ATG pass with an insecure hand and “fear” of getting hurt.

It seems like a crazy story, and it is. I don’t know what the heck is going on.

I’ll take an even further step back and shave only with a mix of XTG and sliiiiiiiiiiightly carefull ATG under jaw/chin/neck and go from there.

I may have to learn again what I’ve done perfectly for quite some time. 🤷‍♂️

I am so sorry Alex, poor dude! :crying:

Your story actually reminds me of what happened when I damaged my face pretty bad, after doing some pretty bad shaves, back in my early days this year. Even if I was careful the next shave, I seemed to had re-opened old wounds, and back to flowing weepers again, regardless of how careful I was being. I ended up discovering what the problem was, and it was simply due to the fact, I was shaving so often, I wasn't allowing my face to heal up proper.

Depending on how bad you damage your skin shaving, it honestly can take up to a week for it to heal up. In a further post, you had mentioned, that when you went to shave again, you noticed your skin was still sensitive. That right there, indicates that your face was still in the healing process. To aid in face healing, I recommend using aftershave balms, not splashes. And once the aftershave balm has dried on your skin, then I recommend following it up with a proper hydrating lotion product.

And after each day that you wash your face, I would re-apply the lotion product. Proper moisturization, aloe, and vitamin E, plays a big role in healing your skin. Once your skin is all the way healed, you can then again, begin shaving. But until then, I would hold off on shaving, to give your skin a chance to heal. Not long ago, I damaged my face using a Gillette RED Flare SuperSpeed, I looked like a 15yo kid with severe acne disorder, it really was quite horrifying.

After that incident, I couldn't shave for a week, I cleaned my face every day, and I used a lotion product to hydrate my skin, and help it heal quickly. 7-days later, I had another shave, using a different razor, and it went far better! Hope this advice helps!

I am so sorry Alex, poor dude! :crying:

Your story actually reminds me of what happened when I damaged my face pretty bad, after doing some pretty bad shaves, back in my early days this year. Even if I was careful the next shave, I seemed to had re-opened old wounds, and back to flowing weepers again, regardless of how careful I was being. I ended up discovering what the problem was, and it was simply due to the fact, I was shaving so often, I wasn't allowing my face to heal up proper.

Depending on how bad you damage your skin shaving, it honestly can take up to a week for it to heal up. In a further post, you had mentioned, that when you went to shave again, you noticed your skin was still sensitive. That right there, indicates that your face was still in the healing process. To aid in face healing, I recommend using aftershave balms, not splashes. And once the aftershave balm has dried on your skin, then I recommend following it up with a proper hydrating lotion product.

And after each day that you wash your face, I would re-apply the lotion product. Proper moisturization, aloe, and vitamin E, plays a big role in healing your skin. Once your skin is all the way healed, you can then again, begin shaving. But until then, I would hold off on shaving, to give your skin a chance to heal. Not long ago, I damaged my face using a Gillette RED Flare SuperSpeed, I looked like a 15yo kid with severe acne disorder, it really was quite horrifying.

After that incident, I couldn't shave for a week, I cleaned my face every day, and I used a lotion product to hydrate my skin, and help it heal quickly. 7-days later, I had another shave, using a different razor, and it went far better! Hope this advice helps!
Thank you for that my friend!

That’s what I’m going to do. My face really needs a brake after this wide razor experiment that didn’t turned out so smooth as I thought it would be.

The red tip indeed was one of the players of this novel! 😂😂

Hope you can shave with it again in the future and have different results. I’ll sure try that!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Thank you for that my friend!

That’s what I’m going to do. My face really needs a brake after this wide razor experiment that didn’t turned out so smooth as I thought it would be.

The red tip indeed was one of the players of this novel! 😂😂

Hope you can shave with it again in the future and have different results. I’ll sure try that!

Your welcome! Ya, just let your face heal up, and I think you will be good after that. ;)

Its going to be awhile before I try out the RED tip again. Ya, that RED tip razor will surprise you with how aggressive it can be, but not in the way you'd think. It doesn't appear to be aggressive with blade gap. It just seems to be very unforgiving. All I know is, I am not going to try out mine again, not until I get it fully restored and re-plated. Then I will try it out again, but I will use a different blade in it.

Cause another thing that I am not sure about, is that my RED tip could also have a physical issue that I am not realizing. So thats why I don't just want to get it re-plated, I want to get it fully restored, have it looked over by a razor expert like Chris at BRG, and just get the razor right. Then I will slap a smooth cutting blade in it, like a Wizamet for example, and see how it does after restoration.

Your welcome! Ya, just let your face heal up, and I think you will be good after that. ;)

Its going to be awhile before I try out the RED tip again. Ya, that RED tip razor will surprise you with how aggressive it can be, but not in the way you'd think. It doesn't appear to be aggressive with blade gap. It just seems to be very unforgiving. All I know is, I am not going to try out mine again, not until I get it fully restored and re-plated. Then I will try it out again, but I will use a different blade in it.

Cause another thing that I am not sure about, is that my RED tip could also have a physical issue that I am not realizing. So thats why I don't just want to get it re-plated, I want to get it fully restored, have it looked over by a razor expert like Chris at BRG, and just get the razor right. Then I will slap a smooth cutting blade in it, like a Wizamet for example, and see how it does after restoration.
The red was a weird shave for me too. At least until now. I’m sure there’s room for improvement as I approach it sometime in the future.

Mild feeling but unforgiving is exactly what I noticed.

I’ve spent a long time shaving with the same gear. Like I said, great autopilot shaves.

But I know there’s a learning curve. It’s a different design and new to me of course.

Same thing is happening to me. I've recently shaved with a couple of modern razors that some people describe as autopilot razors and I did get some irritation from them. My advice is to know when to quit as soon as you find the razor that gives you the best shaves compared to anything else. Trying to find the ''perfect'' razor is a never ending game and you end up with a messed up technique or shaving style as well as losing your time, money and getting mediocre or bad shaves in the process.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Same thing is happening to me. I've recently shaved with a couple of modern razors that some people describe as autopilot razors and I did get some irritation from them. My advice is to know when to quit as soon as you find the razor that gives you the best shaves compared to anything else. Trying to find the ''perfect'' razor is a never ending game and you end up with a messed up technique or shaving style as well as losing your time, money and getting mediocre or bad shaves in the process.

Believe it or not, while it took awhile, (8-Months) I ended up finding my perfect razor. And as long as I maintain proper technique, and prepare my face properly prior to the shave, this razor shave my face perfectly everytime. This ended up being the most smoothest, most best shaving razor I have ever used. And this is the only razor where I not only gave it a full 5-stars, but I also gave it my SWCT stamp of approval. Which in other words, means that this razor is great for everybody, beginners, intermediate, and experienced.

PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable In Rose Gold
proxy.php
IMG_4273.JPG

IMG_4277.JPG
IMG_4271.JPG

Perfectly said. Enough is enough.

And I have a lot to work with the ones I already have but haven’t gotten used to yet.

I love trying new razors, but my latest razors were a total dissapointment and on top of that are some of the most expensive razors in my collection. It's always a gamble when buying a new razor.
So what did you buy that sucks?

Many of us here are batshyte crazy with the number of razors, brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves, blades, whatever that we seem to think we need. I recently returned a couple razors which worked fine but were pointless in that they shaved no differently than most of my others. I still have 15 or so razors in rotation which means a razor gets used once every two weeks (or less if I use the same razor for a few days). It's insanity. Same with brushes and software. But needs have little to do with wants. ;)
Amen to that 😉

I'm retired and shave every-other day. My shaves are so close that I don't look like a hobo on off days, and my face gets a break. You may want to try that (if possible) as you make your "comeback", or just go for a 2-pass (WTG and XTG) socially acceptable shave until you get back in the groove.

I can't imagine torturing my face daily with the accumulated irritation.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Quick question guys.

I’ve been using for some time a water spray containing B5/panthenol, followed by a balm with the same ingredients. (On my face)

Panthenol is known for strengthening the hair, making it more “healthy” and strong.

For you mad scientists out there, could that be something making the whiskers even harder and stiffer to shave?

That would explain the tugging, hurting and weepers ATG.

By the way, correlated or not, I didn’t use anything other than aftershave when I had wonderful autopilot shaves.
I find washing my face with an olive oil soap before shaving is the best pre-shave prep. I would also recommend letting your face rest a few more days until all the redness and irritation goes away before shaving again.

Have you been using the same blade with your new acquisitions? It might be the new razors work better with other blades than the ones you have been using.

Hope you get it figured out soon!

~doug~

I'm retired and shave every-other day. My shaves are so close that I don't look like a hobo on off days, and my face gets a break. You may want to try that (if possible) as you make your "comeback", or just go for a 2-pass (WTG and XTG) socially acceptable shave until you get back in the groove.

I can't imagine torturing my face daily with the accumulated irritation.
I love my daily shaves but it’s for sure not worth it if you have accumulated irritation.
I find washing my face with an olive oil soap before shaving is the best pre-shave prep. I would also recommend letting your face rest a few more days until all the redness and irritation goes away before shaving again.

Have you been using the same blade with your new acquisitions? It might be the new razors work better with other blades than the ones you have been using.

Hope you get it figured out soon!

~doug~
I’ve tried different blades and my usual ones.

For now, rest it is!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Everyone reading this thread is looking forward to you healing up and having better shaves the same way we look forward to someone receiving their $€£¥€₩$$ razor from parts unknown (none of us know where Canada, Germany, Japan, Portugal, Turkey, or USA are located and some of us are starting to think they’re made-up countries like Luxembourg or Estonia).

Quick update gentleman.

Had a shave today after 4 days off. WTG/ATG above jawline. Under jaw a mix of XTG/ATG on a few areas.

The same irritated spot from the past weeks still seems to be tender somehow. Just a WTG/XTG pass and you can feel the skin is not 100% ready for a normal shave. Visually, nothing, but the feeling is there.

I’ve never had an irritated spot take so long to heal, like it’s still there just waiting for a mistake to “wake up” again.

Have you guys ever experienced something like this? 2 or 3 days was all that it ever took to heal anything, as bad as it could be. Not this time. Intriguing…

I’ll continue with caution, eventually I think it’ll go away, I hope.

Overall, a nice shave. That’s the current status.

Top Bottom