What's new

I Think I've Lost It

Yeah, but it happens I have replaced that one now, but at the time it was upsetting to lose a blade like that.

This can happen with any SR that undergoes heat treatment, some are more susceptible than others. All SRs, except RSOs, undergo heat treatment. I suggest that you just use an electric razor.
Nice......
Real nice...
Congratulations, you just made my "ignore
This can happen with any SR that undergoes heat treatment, some are more susceptible than others. All SRs, except RSOs, undergo heat treatment. I suggest that you just use an electric razor.
"Nice...
Real nice....
Congratulations, you are the first here on B&B to make it to my "Ignore" list.
As a gentleman I will not respond in kind.

Good day Sir.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You may think so, however all my other Titans are very good shavers. Where I come from US products are considered garbage.
Getting off the tone of the last post, I have a Geneva and a Torrey which I found to be pretty impressive American made razors. Most of mine are German and Swedish. However, the Gold Dollars I’ve had were very decent shavers although I prefer smaller blades. Since you are an Aussie, you should be able to pick up a Bengall. Amazingly good razors. Impressive customer service experience there.

Many blades break at the time of the quench, just before the tempering process. This is prior to the final grinding, so the razor/knife never makes it to the point of sale. Normally once the blade is tempered the likelihood of it making it through final grind and useful life is pretty high.

A common rule of heat treating is to temper immediately following quench and there are countless tales of blades that broke over night prior to tempering. Not that this has anything to do with the razor that failed after the point of sale.

Last edited:
A common rule of heat treating is to temper immediately following quench and there are countless tales of blades that broke over night prior to tempering. Not that this has anything to do with the razor that failed after the point of sale.

What's the mechanism here, excessive residual stress in the lattice from quench that would have been alleviated by tempering?

What's the mechanism here, excessive residual stress in the lattice from quench that would have been alleviated by tempering?
I think that is mostly it.

If multiple temper cycles are going to be done, the first cycle, or a flash temper, can be done before the blade reaches room temperature, so the existing martensite is tempered before the full conversion to martensite occurs. Kind of skipping the highest stress period. Martempering accomplishes this also and micrographs show less microcracking in martempered steels.

I hope that we are not going too far off topic.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Tracking shows that my replacement SR has arrived at the local PO. Unfortunately I am unable to collect it due to our 24/7 curfew. All I can do is wait - that's the Filipino way.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have kept my cracked Titan VG10-HZ thinking that the scales might come in useful one day. Erwin visited me yesterday and we were talking about SR shaving. I showed him the cracked blade.

Erwin thinks that he can fix this cracked blade with just some welding and a little grinding. I told no and why but he insists on wanting to try. So I will gave the blade to Erwin to play with. First I will remove the scales. If he can weld and grind it without it falling to pieces, at least it will give him something to use to learn very basic honing and stropping.

I think Erwin is coming around to the idea of traditional SR shaving 😀.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Tracking shows that my replacement SR has arrived at the local PO. Unfortunately I am unable to collect it due to our 24/7 curfew. All I can do is wait - that's the Filipino way.
My replacement eventually arrived in July. They sent the wrong one. Instead of another VG10-HZ, they sent me my first ACRO T.H.64, costing almost twice as much. I have since bought another seven ACRO T.H.64's to make a M7+1DS of them.

Do I need professional help with this AD?

Do I need professional help with this AD?

I thought you already had plenty of professionals helping to properly engrave and provide shared housing for your M7DSs. Are you looking for fertility counseling so you can breed them for second generation M7DSs? That may, at this time, be beyond even the the highest professional skill levels.

You are not wrong there. I am seriously considering putting together a M7DS of Filly 14's, all in original matching scales.

If I can get that together, I'll sell/PIF some of my other sets.
That would be an impressive feat. Ill be happy to watch from afar as you get it together.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That would be an impressive feat. Ill be happy to watch from afar as you get it together.
Shouldn't be too hard, just a WTB post in BST should easily get them 😂. I'm sure there a many member who want to get rid of their worthless pieces of Filly 14 junk 🤔.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The difficulty depends on which model(s) you choose. A set of gen 2 Doble Temples could be had fairly quickly, but if your looking for Sub Cero, Novidur, or Medallon Taurino, you’re going to be at it a good bit longer.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Not sure if this is really commercially viable, but when I was making my "barbecure razors", I always took them through at least two normalizing cycles before final HT and quench. Think of it as re-annealing. I usually didn't temper them still hot from the quench but it is probably a good idea and I will be doing that in the future. Just sayin.

Top Bottom