What's new

I think I've found my first restoration

I picked this Fuller brush up on the bay. I'm thinking it may be my first restoration. Any good suggestions on what I should put in it?

That is a nice handle...looks to be in excellent shape too.

18 or 20mm Finest two-band would be my first choice. GradeA silvertip would also be nice.

I have a couple of GN's Best knots too and they are no slackers...but Finest would still be my choice.

For a first restore, I'd say get a 20 or 22mm 2 band bulb (extra stuffed) finest.

After that some nice TGN's to try are the UK black and the 23mm Badger style nylon. The UK super and China Silvertips are both nice and soft, but very floppy so be sure to set them low if you want good backbone. I'd say the UK super isn't worth the premium over the Finest anyway. I'll let you know what I think of the 23mm UK Silvertip once mine arrives.

I was watching that auction too, but couldn't think of what knot I'd need to put in it. Congrats.

18 or 20mm Finest two-band would be my first choice. GradeA silvertip would also be nice.

For a first restore, I'd say get a 20 or 22mm 2 band bulb (extra stuffed) finest.

Yep either a finest or Silvertip Grade A in a 20 or 22mm . Both are great knots.

Should fit with no modification, though you may need to modify for loft depending on your preferences.

... The UK super and China Silvertips are both nice and soft, but very floppy so be sure to set them low if you want good backbone.

mmm, interesting Ian, I find the UK super 20mm I've got a little scritchier than the Finest and Silvertip Grade A and the China Silvertip VERY scritchy. :001_huh:

Just another indication of how YMMV !!!!! :001_smile

Bruhling, see my sig for some articles that may assist you :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Hello all: I also have an old Fuller brush like this that I would like to restore. Let alone how to do it (I'll look that up...), where do I go about getting "18 or 20mm finest two-band" or "20 or 22mm 2 band bulb (extra stuffed) finest"? Thanks.

Hello all: I also have an old Fuller brush like this that I would like to restore. Let alone how to do it (I'll look that up...), where do I go about getting "18 or 20mm finest two-band" or "20 or 22mm 2 band bulb (extra stuffed) finest"? Thanks.

I've got a bit of a step by step restore of a Fuller here. Hopefully of some assistance.

Knots come from www.thegoldennib.com.

Legion

Staff member
That brush looks very nice. Not much restoration needed there.

I put 22mm finest in my last restoration and it is now my "go to" brush.

It's just me but, since that brush is in such good, as new condition, with the box and all, I would probably not restore it. I'd keep it as a collectable and find a banged up, manky knotted thing to really restore and bring back from the dead. Cutting the bristles off a near perfect vintage brush would bother me, even if the handle was really cool like that one. Just my two cents...

Last edited:

It's just me but, since that brush is in such good, as new condition, with the box and all, I would probably not restore it. I'd keep it as a collectable and find a banged up, manky knotted thing to really restore and bring back from the dead. Cutting the bristles off a near perfect vintage brush would bother me, even if the handle was really cool like that one. Just my two cents...

ya!
that brush you have looks like NOS... it hasn't even bloomed.

ya!
that brush you have looks like NOS... it hasn't even bloomed.

+2. No need to restore that! Clean it and use it with the existing knot... or just use it as a display of you are into that. Just because it is old doesn't mean it need to be replaced. I have a couple of vintage brushes that were NOS that I have been using and they are great! :thumbup1:

I'd also be inclined to use it as it is.

If the current knot works for you then go with it !!!!

If however the knot sheds, smells then consider the reknot.

Most of my brushes even unused have obviously sat around too long and suffered from this.

My Vulfix Hyde Park though is still it's original Boar !!! :biggrin1:

OP -

I have a very similar brush I found at an antique store that needs more help than this one. Handle is almost identical, it is a rubberset brush with the marbled butterscotch base and black top, black top is NOT in as nice shape as this one, nor is bristle. I'd send it to you for cost of shipping, probably around $2. Send me a PM if you are interested and I'll take a few pics.

I'll go dig it up. I did one with a similar color scheme with a Grade A silver tip and it looked great. I bet the two band would as well.

Top Bottom