What's new

I think its time...

To switch completely to soaps. When I started a little over a year ago i couldnt make soaps work, now i dont seem to enjoy my shaves with creams anymore. So...I have some P.160, XXX and some AoS soap....any recommendations of some really good soaps?

MWF, D R Harris, Fitjar, Tabac, Sir Irisch Moos, Speick, Czech and Speake....... there are a great number of well thought of soaps.

Mithell's Wool Fat, Mama Bears and Tabac. Mama Bears is wonderful if you like glycerine based. Great smells! Tabac makes great lather and MWF leaves the skin feeling the softest.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
If a shaving soap is really good is something quite hard to objectively establish. You have to find those products that work for you and that you like using. And the only way to actually know is to test by yourself. In this thread you'll certainly get a lot of suggestions on a lot of soaps. My only suggestion is, again, to try by yourself and test as many soaps as you can, starting preferably from budget price products.

Arko. Haven't seen a poor soap suggested yet. I suggest only one melt and pour. They bore me despite the overwhelming number of flavors available.

Cade - one of my favorites.

I wouldn't dream of excluding creams from my rotation any sooner than I'd exclude soaps. I like and use both. Some of us old timers started with soaps because that's pretty much all that was available back in the day. Creams are a newer thing to me and easy to use. Why wouldn't I want to continue to keep them in my rotation? I think there's a bit more variety in the creams out there than hard soaps. But what do you do with a soft soap like Cella? I consider it more of a cream than a soap. Point being, is it in or out?

To switch completely to soaps. now i dont seem to enjoy my shaves with creams anymore. So...I have some P.160, XXX and some AoS soap....any recommendations of some really good soaps?
Arguably your P.160 and XXX are creams, or as much a cream as a soap. It's hard for me to call something you can poke your finger through as a soap. There is a huge wide swath of shaving software that straddles the grey area, regardless whether it's popularly called a soap or a cream.

I feel the man difference between the two is the degree of moisture. If someone denounces creams (not the OP) and then lauds Cella, I find a flaw in that.

Well, I'd call Cella & P160 soaps, because they are commonly used like a soap (load on top of the bowl), but I think what one calls them is really irrelevant. The bottom line is - do you enjoy using the product? Isn't that really the name of the game?

I like, in this order:
1. Queen Charlotte (both soaps and creams [hard creams...croaps?])
2. Vintage Williams
3. Cade
4. AoS Sandalwood soap...hate the creams
5. Mitchell's Wool Fat
6. Van Der Hagen
7. Modern Williams

Of those I probably use Modern Williams the most because I can load so heavily and brush it on really fast for a quick, slick lather that lets me shave quick and get out the door. I think that is helping break in my new boars which don't hold a lot of lather yet so they use/require more product, PLUS I really just want to get rid of it. :p I probably use AoS and Vintage Williams the least because they are, respectively, expensive (AoS) and out of production (Vintage Williams).

I dislike Prairie Creations and can't think of any others that I've tried, but they obviously didn't make much of an impression on me. Tabac Cream was meh, haven't used the soap. I really want to get a hold of Arko and Palmolive, as well as some Italian croaps.

Top Bottom