What's new

I think I’m starting to step into the rabbit hole….

I’ve only been seriously dabbling (is there such a thing?) for a year or so. I’ve found I’ve got a taste for Preben Holm and Ben Wade pipes. I probably have about 8 gnarled pieces. I’ve got a small horde of Meerschaums as well, several probably over 100 years old. I’ve got 5 Kirsten aluminum pipes as well. I like sitters and bents I think. I’ve got a few badass lighters from aliexpress, an original thorens filler, a commissioned solid sterling zippo with smooth sapphire insert and another sterling armor zippo too.

I’m in trouble. I need to get off the bay and friends for a while….

PS: I know it’s nothing compared to some, but I gotta watch out…

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ha Ha! STARTING to step...?

:biggrin1:

You're already "ahead" of me, although most folks here will verify I don't play by conventional rabbit hole rules. I think I hit an updraft. :lol:

I don't do pre-chewed pipes, but do have a few modern Ben Wades from the Dunhill factory. Very good smokers. I've gone the Falcon route instead of Kirstens. As to lighters, I have quite a cluster from my cigarette smoking years, including zippo with standard inserts, but have kept to the cheapos so far with the pipe.

Are you getting much use from them, or just happy collecting?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
:devil:
Lighters?
Check out the Nimrod lighters from the 1950's!
Some really cool stuff!

:angel:
All you really need are some wooden kitchen matches, or an inexpensive soft flame disposable butane lighter with the loong neck!

Ha Ha! STARTING to step...?

:biggrin1:

You're already "ahead" of me, although most folks here will verify I don't play by conventional rabbit hole rules. I think I hit an updraft. :lol:

I don't do pre-chewed pipes, but do have a few modern Ben Wades from the Dunhill factory. Very good smokers. I've gone the Falcon route instead of Kirstens. As to lighters, I have quite a cluster from my cigarette smoking years, including zippo with standard inserts, but have kept to the cheapos so far with the pipe.

Are you getting much use from them, or just happy collecting?

“Pre-chewed”. You make it seem so….dirty.

New pipes don’t have the same character to me and are often to expensive in my opinion. Supply and demand and artisanal and all that I know. But still expensive.

Yeah. The pipes get rotated. Some are travelers and go to classes with me (nice just to go to park and hang under a tree), some of the older meers haven’t been used as much since their a little small and some in various levels of restore. The Kirsten’s are for working in the yard, motorcycling, garage, etc. They’re also good for experimenting with technique and blends…especially aros, helps keep the temps down. And they’re easy to clean.

:devil:
Lighters?
Check out the Nimrod lighters from the 1950's!
Some really cool stuff!

:angel:
All you really need are some wooden kitchen matches, or an inexpensive soft flame disposable butane lighter with the loong neck!

I like complications and mechanisms. Have one of these in stainless and also a Thorens double claw knock off. Which is surprisingly all CNC.

I also like mechanical auto winding watches. Fortunately I’ve avoided THAT bug.

Attachments

• 789953EE-7057-4FE3-A88D-4A6BF3CA3208.png
    789953EE-7057-4FE3-A88D-4A6BF3CA3208.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
Abandon all hope, you are doomed. You didn't mention how many pounds of tobacco you have :devil:.
FORTUNATELY….I’m limited by default. It’s hard and expensive to get a variety here in Japan. I’m still going through a generous sampler a member sent me as well as packets of half finished disappointments. I also got gifted another members collection of aros that I’m trying out…

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
“Pre-chewed”. You make it seem so….dirty.

New pipes don’t have the same character to me and are often to expensive in my opinion. Supply and demand and artisanal and all that I know. But still expensive.

Yeah. The pipes get rotated. Some are travelers and go to classes with me (nice just to go to park and hang under a tree), some of the older meers haven’t been used as much since their a little small and some in various levels of restore. The Kirsten’s are for working in the yard, motorcycling, garage, etc. They’re also good for experimenting with technique and blends…especially aros, helps keep the temps down. And they’re easy to clean.
I don't want you to get the wrong impression of @AimlessWanderer based on his comment. You'll find no pipe snobs here, least of all Al. He wasn't poo pooing your collection of estate pipes, merely that they aren't for him. Al's entire collection of new pipes probably cost him less money then your collection of pipes. He takes pride in smoking inexpensive, good smoking pipes (just so long as they sit).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Indeed. I may knock certain pipes (razors, pens, etc...) but not the folks that like them. :wink:

I'll stick to buying new ones, so long as they are very cheap sitters :biggrin1:. I prefer to know mine is the first mouth they've been in, plus have the rights to return them, and know I'm supporting current factory workers. So the plus side is that you'll never be getting competing bids from me on eBay :thumbsup:

I have seen some beautiful pre-chomped ( :devil: ) pipes on here, but they're not for me :)

I don't want you to get the wrong impression of @AimlessWanderer based on his comment. You'll find no pipe snobs here, least of all Al. He wasn't poo pooing your collection of estate pipes, merely that they aren't for him. Al's entire collection of new pipes probably cost him less money then your collection of pipes. He takes pride in smoking inexpensive, good smoking pipes (just so long as they sit).

Nah. I learned long ago to read forums with a shaker of salt and a smirk on your face.

My comment was in jest with a hint of inuendo. The idea of sucking on some old codgers used bits DOES conjur a certain feeling.

I’ve got nothing on his gear either. Simply saying for various reasons I like estate pipes…be it character, price, or somethjng even less tangible. To get the kind of pipes I’m gravitating towards would have been cost prohibitive….

On top of it. So much is lost translating from thought or voice to text. I never took anything as a dig at all.

Somethjng I will say…I can’t stand some of these new pipes. They’re just weird. Bent up aluminum tube, some of the weird shapes out there. I just don’t know. Freehand is as weird as I’ll go. I like the Kirsten’s for the Cadillac wing styling. Atomic age and all. Imagine bunch of guys hangin around skunkworks drafting tables with their slicked hair trying to stay one step in front of the Soviets.

Top Bottom