What's new

I think I'm ruined for all other ryes.

So as I've been exploring North American whiskies lately I think my favourite bourbon right now is hands down Four Roses Single Barrel and my favourite rye a toss up between Lot 40 and CEHT.

As some of you know, spirit prices are high here in Ontario, but 4RSB is one of the best deals at $45 which is somewhat close to US prices, it seems.

Anyway for a long time, I've eyed Mastersons 10 Year Old Rye (100% Canadian Rye, bottled in California) but the price has always been about $75, which I've always thought was crazy for a domestic product no matter how good bottled in the U.S. and then shipped back. U.S. price seems to be about $60, so it's not that far off, but still hard to justify.

Sales are also small and relatively rare at our government controlled liquor outlets, but today I stumbled across my local store clearing it out and there were only a few bottles left, marked down to $52, so I grabbed one, am sipping it now, and think it's ruined all other ryes for me. It's spicy, but doesn't have that dill nose, which can sometimes be overpowering. Beautiful oaky backbone which I think mingles well with the spices. And a surprising sweetness in the middle which I have never tasted before in a rye, and is almost more bourbon-like.

Such a well made whiskey I wish all our Canadian ryes were made like this. The ounce I poured for myself went WAY too fast!

If you find it in your area and got some extra splurge money I recommend it.

They also had $30 off Bulliet Rye and George Dickel too, which was great! Essentially it was U.S. prices day at this LCBO!

Cheers

Top Bottom