What's new

I think I'm finished

I've been using a DE razor and artisan soaps and creams with a brush for almost a year now but it's always been irritating and bloody. I suspect it's because of my inability to make a good lather because I get a perfect shave with ease with Barbasol and Gillette Foamy or any other canned cream. I've followed the steps, tips, and tricks that have been posted here, bowl lathered, face lathered, used synthetic and boar brushes but I still don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know if I want to keep trying at the expense of my face. I see why some people can be finicky with their lather.
Buy a polymer or bakelite and use no pressure.
I could send you a Philite.
Another suggestion: the Yaqi Mellon.
Fool proof, and it relathers during the shave. I can only cut myself with it if I try real hard. Dirt cheap too.
Read my thread on that razor.
Cuts are always a matter of technique, irritation frequently a matter of too much pressure and/or allergic reaction to a soap ingredient.
Keep trying, but most of all: use the exact same gear for a month.

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I hadn’t considered the water. It is hard here in California but I’m sure other Californians manage. This all leads my to believe it’s my poor lather skills
When I lived in Corona I needed to use bottled water to get a decent reliable lather. Pretty easy actually, either out of the hot water dispenser in the kitchen or heat up RO filtered water in the microwave.

Since we moved to Norco, the tap water is fine.

~doug~

When I lived in Corona I needed to use bottled water to get a decent reliable lather. Pretty easy actually, either out of the hot water dispenser in the kitchen or heat up RO filtered water in the microwave.

Since we moved to Norco, the tap water is fine.

~doug~
Hmm that’s interesting. I don’t live too far from Corona. I’ll give it a shot when I don’t have to go anywhere just in case I tear up my face

I've been using a DE razor and artisan soaps and creams with a brush for almost a year now but it's always been irritating and bloody. I suspect it's because of my inability to make a good lather because I get a perfect shave with ease with Barbasol and Gillette Foamy or any other canned cream. I've followed the steps, tips, and tricks that have been posted here, bowl lathered, face lathered, used synthetic and boar brushes but I still don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know if I want to keep trying at the expense of my face. I see why some people can be finicky with their lather.
Hi Kyle,

How did your stick of Arko work for you versus the Artisan soaps? Saw in your earlier messages that you purchased a stick when you first returned to wet shaving. Saw that you liked the aroma.

Also what brushes are you using? Didn't see any specifics on your brushes in earlier posts beyond mention of boar and synthetic (same types that I use). Let us know the specific brushes including knot size and loft.

P.S. Nothing wrong with Barbasol and Gillette Foamy. Have a can of each for rare occasions when I'm too rushed to soap lather.

Top Bottom