What's new

I think I'm done with badger for a while.

I started out with a best badger brush from RoyalShave.com and recently became intrigued with all the positive dialogue regarding boar brushes. I purchased the Proraso (Omega) Boar Bristle Brush and have been using it constantly. Face lathering has become my preference since the acquisition. To be fair, I gave the badger a try yesterday and it just didn't cut it. I felt like I was lathering with a pancake. I'm going all boar for a while...

Who else has experienced this and what is your favorite boar brush? Any recommendations for another brush investment?

I'm going the opposite way, I have 4 boar brushes, just ordered my first big boy brush. A Rooney 1/2 in super. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Omegas and Semogues, but have grown to yearn for a dense knot with backbone and soft tips. My boars have all been broken in and still feel scratchy. We will see once the Rooney is delivered this week.

When I had boar brushes I liked the 1305 Semogue and the BIG Omega 31064

I no longer have any boar brushes :sad:

If you are looking for a brush with the maximum back bone take a look at the Simpsons brushes in pure badger. I had a Beaufort B4 that rocked as a face lathering brush

proxy.php

I just realized I should've put this thread under shaving brushes... :blushing: Please... if anyone thinks there's a badger to change my mind... Let me know! It's gotta have some backbone, though...

I just realized I should've put this thread under shaving brushes... :blushing: Please... if anyone thinks there's a badger to change my mind... Let me know! It's gotta have some backbone, though...

Simpson Manchurian
Simpson 2-Band
Shavemac D01 2-Band
Shavemac D01 3-Band
Morris & Forndran 2-band Blonde Badger
Semogue 2-Band Badger Mele Mele
Vie Long 2-Band Mele Mele

All these have great backbone and wonderful performance !!

My Shavemac Black and White with a D01 two band has way, and I mean not even close, more backbone than any boar brush I have owned. I have owned Semogue SOC, 1305, 830, and 620 as well as a couple of Omega's. My Simpson Chubby 2 in best also has more and my Rooney Heritage Stubby 3XL has just as much. I have always thought the backbone on boar brushes is overrated.

I started off with a Simpson's Colonel, and I use it very seldom. Oddly, I have really taken a liking to my Semogue 1250. Only issue with that one is that it sheds almost every shave, but I love the way it feels on my face. The Colonel has yet to shed a hair I believe.

Crazy to say but my 620 was out-punching my Chubby 1 (bought both together) but then the Chubby "broke" and has been my go-to ever since. The 620 is reserved for use with Cella but as it's a "winter" soap neither have had much attention from me of late.

The 620 is my fave boar after some failed attempts with Omega 48 & 49.

I face lather all the time now, and I find that my Boar's work very well with soaps and my Badgers do best with creams.
For me, there is a place in my den for both.

Do yourself a favor. If you really like boar brushes get yourself a Semogue SOC Boar. You'll thank me later.

And by all means, don't give up on badgers. But I'm in the same boat as you.

I gave up on badger for a while. Then I gave up on boar for a while. Now I use both.

I do think people overstate the backbone of boar brushes. There are some very stiff ones, but they all break in a bit and get softer, and some of them get almost floppy. The thing is, even when they are a bit floppy, the individual hairs are resilient enough that you get a less "mushy" tactile experience than with a floppy badger.

For me, using a boar brush is about the density and creaminess of the lather, coupled with a firm-yet-plush facefeel. The flow-through of boar as a result of the thicker hair shafts yields this type of lather and feel. Some badgers provide one or the other; few provide both as readily. That said, badger gives me a bit more heat retention throughout the shave, and the tips of my favorite badgers scrub (not scritch nor scratch) in a way no boar ever has for me.

If you want a badger with backbone, I'd say Simpson Best, Rooney Super or Heritage, M&F Blonde Badger, Semogue 2-band, and Shavemac D01 2-band are good bets. If you want backbone with soft tips, cross off the two-band stuff. If you want backbone with soft tips and good flow-through, cross off style 1 Rooneys and the densest Simpsons. In other words, buy a Duke 3 in Best.:wink2:

Top Bottom