What's new

I think I want a nice peacoat. Schott? Spiewak? Naval issue? Something else?

The one I ordered from Sterlingwear has held up exceptionally well although their website appears to be “under construction”.

It has been for quite a while. I think Sterlingware is done with peacoats:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Had a surplus Peacoat as a kid in the early 80s. Don’t know what happened to it. About 20 years ago I was shopping at an Old Navy outlet store of all places, and they had their version of a Peacoat on sale for something like $12. Bought one. Fits like a glove, has lasted like a champ, and warm as can be. It makes my Navy veteran brother-in-law jealous every time I wear it. Still would like a real one again some day.

Ive long thought about upgrading my wool peacoat. I bought mine from target for $40 circa 2005 and it is still in great condition today. SUPER warm and still gets alot of compliments. My only complaint is the sleeves are a bit tight so it does not serve well as an overcoat. 60% wool and made in srilanka

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Peacoat weather is just around the corner here in Melbourne Australia looking forward to dragging mine out again.

B5860C5F-5CF7-4D3E-BB31-9702955D00C0.jpeg

I am interested in a peacoat and going to stop at The Schott NYC store one of the next few days. Online is a bit confusing since they have 2 different modles but I want to take a look. They aren't cheap. They also have a large selection of leather jackets that I want to look at. A report will be sent.

I am interested in a peacoat and going to stop at The Schott NYC store one of the next few days. Online is a bit confusing since they have 2 different modles but I want to take a look. They aren't cheap. They also have a large selection of leather jackets that I want to look at. A report will be sent.
Look at the 740. No, they're not cheap but sometimes you get what you pay for. I have both the 740 and the 782. The 740 is light years ahead of the 782. Do not buy the 740 if they're not making it with a quilted lining. In my opinion Schott cut a lot of corners making the 782, and it's an inferior coat, nowhere near the value of the price they're charging.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Look at the officers bridge coat, it's the long version of the enlisted peacoat.
If you want authentic, you can also browse thrift stores near major Naval Stations.

Look at the 740. No, they're not cheap but sometimes you get what you pay for. I have both the 740 and the 782. The 740 is light years ahead of the 782. Do not buy the 740 if they're not making it with a quilted lining. In my opinion Schott cut a lot of corners making the 782, and it's an inferior coat, nowhere near the value of the price they're charging.
The 740 is 80% wool and 20% Nylon. It is listed as having the Nylon qulited lining. No 782 model but there is a 764 which is 100% wool but it's more expensive. Take a look.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I was issued a pea coat in 1970. It was a great coat that I eventually outgrew. At that time there were multiple contractors involved. There was definitely a difference in the material texture.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I have a naval pea coat. It let's no wind through it, but it's as stiff as a board. Still, It's a great coat.

The 740 is 80% wool and 20% Nylon. It is listed as having the Nylon qulited lining. No 782 model but there is a 764 which is 100% wool but it's more expensive. Take a look.
Well, thanks, but I don't need to. I'm VERY familiar with Schott and their peacoats; I own two. The 740 I purchased a few years ago. I still think it's excellent. The 782 isn't manufactured as well as the 740. The 764 is 100% wool, but 28oz, and the lining of the jacket seems to be the same thin, simple polyester lining I have in the 782. If you are going to the Schott NYC store, keep these points in mind before you purchase.

I was wearing the 740 on Boxing Day in Duluth last year. There was a blizzard blowing in off of Lake Superior. It plastered the side of my peacoat in snow, but my upper body wasn't cold. The snow and wind wasn't getting to me at all.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I think the stiffness goes with a tightly woven heavy wool coat -- the cheap crap is softer but doesn't work or wear as well .. guess it depends on whether one is after fashion or function

My first pea coat came from my college roommate's WWII USN father. 25 years out of service it was stiff, but it was wind & water-resistant as well as warm. I had another cheapie that was made in the 80's that fell apart, it felt like a sweatshirt & worked about as well. Ten years ago I went on the hunt again, and picked up a no name coat at the local Army/Navy surplus store. I don't like buying outerwear without feeling it up first .. this one felt pretty much as I remembered the WWII issue .. and it gets worn all winter here with no sign of coming apart ..

DSC00537.JPG

Top Bottom