What's new

I think I screwed up my blade

Usually I like to put the razor on the counter while I do other things. I lay the razor on its spine, but today I accidentally laid the razor on its edge. If you can imagine, I didn't use any force besides the weight of the razor, but I'm still worried.

I took it to the barber's hone and Crox paddle for good measure, but it still doesn't pass the HHT like it used to. Should I be worried? Should I send it out to get inspected?

If you don't find any chips on the edge after a thorough visual inspection you can still shave with the razor. A blade that does not pass the HHT can still shave ok. If you find the blade duller than usually and the test shave is unpleasant you can still send it out for honing.

Try shaving with it, you will know quickly if you damaged the edge.

Also, you might consider keeping a small hand towel on the counter to rest your razor on instead of directly on the counter.

just curious, but wouldn't some stropping get it back to good enough edge alignment if that is what this gent is concerned about?

Legion

Staff member
just curious, but wouldn't some stropping get it back to good enough edge alignment if that is what this gent is concerned about?
Depends on how badly the edge has been messed up. Potentially it could damage the strop.

If you have taken it to a stone and CrO though, I would just shave with it and see. If it's no good it doesn't sound like anything a honemiester couldn't fix up.

Testshave. If it's a little rough try giving it a massive strop session, if it's still rough then hit stones etc

just if it's folded a little and you hone the fold off, it will leave a gapin the edge, rather than trying to straighten it back to normal and then removing some metal

Well the shave wasn't comfortable, although I was able to shave WTG and XTG as usual. I conclude that the blade is dull, but not in horrible shape. My one week old 7 AM DE blade is sharper that my straight :(

I'll give it a vigorous barber honing and see where that gets me tomorrow. If I can't fix it, I'll send it out to be inspected.

I did run the blade up my thumb nail and didn't feel any snagging btw.

EDIT: Also the blade was honed by shavedzombie. Does anyone know whether he uses tape while honing? If so I've just been an idiot since I've been honing without tape...

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Well the shave wasn't comfortable, although I was able to shave WTG and XTG as usual. I conclude that the blade is dull, but not in horrible shape. My one week old 7 AM DE blade is sharper that my straight :(

I'll give it a vigorous barber honing and see where that gets me tomorrow. If I can't fix it, I'll send it out to be inspected.

EDIT: Also the blade was honed by shavedzombie. Does anyone know whether he uses tape while honing? If so I've just been an idiot since I've been honing without tape...

Send him a PM.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I want to but first I need to find a post of his. Or I need to find how to search for members...

Marker test?

In the top menu click on 'Community' and then Member list

You can then do a search.

Mark the cutting edge with a marker. Then do a few passes on your stone. Then look to see if you are removing the marker from the whole edge, or just on part of the bevel.

If you go to user cp and send text message when you type the name in it fill in the rest from Members matching that spelling if your close you'll find the right one.

I asked Jeremy (Shavezombie) this very question. He told me that he does not use tape.

Thanks guys.

Today the blade felt better, but the question I now have to ask myself is do I continue honing it, or stop. The blade was okay on my wtg and xtg passes, but I don't even want to dare doing anything further than that. I feel like the blade still isn't as sharp as it was when I first got it, but I don't know what more I should do.

Alrighty I'll do that.

BTW, how do I know when to reapply paste onto my balsa wood?

Top Bottom