What's new

I think I need to accept reality.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If I could just stop wanting younger women to like me lol.
If you seek the company of younger women then maybe that is some of the reason for the way you are feeling. I mean no offence to anyone, but to my eye there is little that makes a man look older, and a little sad, than a much younger partner. If you want to look and feel younger then perhaps try dating an older lady. Either way, I hope you find what you are looking for👍

You guys are all very inspiring helpful. I had a feeling there may be another person out there felt the same way as me, but I didn't know there were that many of you. I learned something new along the way. I'm sure as I turn 50 I'll find a way to make peace with it, it just doesn't feel like it today. But you all have so many words of wisdom and inspiration that I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to even read this. If I could just stop wanting younger women to like me lol. Hard on the ego.
Younger women aren't all they are cracked up to be they break to easily and duck tape and super glue wont always fix them...Ha Ha..
but seriously why care if they like you or not. I mean my wife is 10 years younger than me but even if she wasn't it wouldn't matter... You can easily get younger women to like you if you are wealthy enough but who wants eye candy.. Its better to have that someone who wants you for you, not for what age you are or any other reason than you being you ..

I wear bifocals (can’t manage progressives) and there is now a gap between what I see clearly close up and what I see clearly at a distance. Conveniently this not quite in focus middle distance includes my own reflection in the mirror, allowing me to preserve some illusion about how great I look. If I wear my computer glasses that are sharper in the middle distance, who’s the sudden geezer over there?

I’m ok with it. I’m pretty active and fit.

The quote in my signature is the last thing George Orwell wrote in his notebook. Sadly he passed just shy of that milestone.

I wear bifocals (can’t manage progressives)

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but 2 years ago, I met some close friends for lunch. All of us had just turned 50. I had started to wear progressives and, as I got to the table, before sitting down, I looked at them and proclaimed: "P-r-o-g-r-e-s-s-i-v-e-s! The BEST thing EVER invented by mankind!"

One of my friends looked at me and said:

At 20, we would come here and say "wow, I met this really hot chick at a bar!"; at 30 it was "I went to this really nice restaurant..."; at 40, "You have to try this spetacular wine..." and now, "Progressives! The best thing EVER!". I guess that's how it goes. 10 more years and we'll be talking about doctors!

If you seek the company of younger women then maybe that is some of the reason for the way you are feeling. I mean no offence to anyone, but to my eye there is little that makes a man look older, and a little sad, than a much younger partner.

@EclipseRedRing puts it in a more elegant and subtle way, but I'll second him and add my 2 cents with a wet shaving analogy: some people swear by the Feather AS-D2; some people swear at it. Either way, the vast majority of them wouldn't pair it with a less than super sharp blade. YMMV, as with all things in life, but it's hard for that combo to provide good, consistent shaves.

I’m 53. When I turned 50 it was like I hit a brick wall. Try being that old as a firefighter. It ain’t easy. Decades of sports, abusing my body, and multiple injuries have finally caught up with me. My skin is all leathery from surfing since I was a kid and my eyes need reading glasses.

I’m at the point where I’m ready to sit in my garden, smoke my pipe and grow tomatoes. But I have two more years until I can retire. Two more years of sore knees, a tweaked back, and waking up every morning with some new ache or pain.

But just because I have a hard time keeping up with the young guys doesn’t mean I don’t intend to grow old gracefully. I still have things I’m thankful for: I still have a full head of thick hair and my plumbing still works as it should. I can still get out in the water and surf or paddleboard.

I actually appreciate meeting mellow, well-groomed and thoughtful older people. There is something majestic about it. Hopefully I can end up like that.

Great thread, an entire trove of great anecdotes and wisdom. Plenty of favorites to dispense: "You're only as old as you feel", etc. I love that quote "Getting old is fun. Being old sucks."

I'm 56, barreling toward 60. All things considered I'm doing pretty well. I eat what I want (and not a diet doctors or those wishing for longevity would condone), go to the gym most every other day, get a solid 7-8 hours sleep a night, and try to stay out of the sun during the summer--it's brutal here in AZ. I hold doors open for folks, treat most everyone with respect (except for those who clearly haven't earned or deserve it, but that's pretty rare), say "thank you", and try to be a decent example for anyone watching. I'm no angel, I'm just me . . . just another human.

I've never really experienced what some of you gents are expressing. Sure, I've been aware of the passage of time, but I guess I've always simply accepted it as part of the deal. I have taken stock of my life and frankly am truly content with what I've accomplished and experienced. I'm not going to rebel when my time comes to shuffle off . . . I actually look forward to it. That frees me up to take each day as it comes. I'm not wedged into any expectations or obligations that I don't wish to be part of. With each passing day it amazes me just how much I expect things to work out for me, and how good things keep coming my way. Once I stopped fighting it and went with the flow everything became easier.

I have great respect for those who have paved the way for people like me, for people who make it part of their lives to make others lives better. I am fortunate to have been able to stand on the shoulders of giants.

Great thread, an entire trove of great anecdotes and wisdom. Plenty of favorites to dispense: "You're only as old as you feel", etc. I love that quote "Getting old is fun. Being old sucks."

I'm 56, barreling toward 60. All things considered I'm doing pretty well. I eat what I want (and not a diet doctors or those wishing for longevity would condone), go to the gym most every other day, get a solid 7-8 hours sleep a night, and try to stay out of the sun during the summer--it's brutal here in AZ. I hold doors open for folks, treat most everyone with respect (except for those who clearly haven't earned or deserve it, but that's pretty rare), say "thank you", and try to be a decent example for anyone watching. I'm no angel, I'm just me . . . just another human.

I've never really experienced what some of you gents are expressing. Sure, I've been aware of the passage of time, but I guess I've always simply accepted it as part of the deal. I have taken stock of my life and frankly am truly content with what I've accomplished and experienced. I'm not going to rebel when my time comes to shuffle off . . . I actually look forward to it. That frees me up to take each day as it comes. I'm not wedged into any expectations or obligations that I don't wish to be part of. With each passing day it amazes me just how much I expect things to work out for me, and how good things keep coming my way. Once I stopped fighting it and went with the flow everything became easier.

I have great respect for those who have paved the way for people like me, for people who make it part of their lives to make others lives better. I am fortunate to have been able to stand on the shoulders of giants.

I couldn't agree More... Most say I have a beach Bums mentality and take things as they come.. I believe in free will but I also believe If something is meant to happen then its gonna and there is nothing you can do about it.... A motto I live by is from a Jimmy Buffett song and states.... Breathe In , Breathe Out , Move On ..

not looking your age for your whole adult life can be a curse. I have kept my weight from when I was younger, my athletic shape, and my youthful looks, including no grey hair. I’m 59. I am currently separated, no kids, and I’m fending off marriage proposals from 2 girls. One 31, and the other 24. Both are very attractive and sweet. Different culture, and I have known both for several years.
Promotions were delayed over the years, because I was perceived to be inexperienced and young. Friends have grown old, with health problems (I have none). It is very odd to be at this age but not feel it and to have the world not see it.

Married over 50 years and turning 75 next month. I don't remember ever caring about an age or birthday. I try to ignore things I have no control over. Just glad to be alive with no major health issues.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Married over 50 years and turning 75 next month. I don't remember ever caring about an age or birthday. I try to ignore things I have no control over. Just glad to be alive with no major health issues.
Met a man today who claimed to be 87. Could have EASILY passed for 67! Lol, me too, but I'm 59!

You have the right attitude, my friend. I've been blessed, BLESSED, with friends of ALL ages since I was barely an adult myself. I just don't think about age in others that much.

It has been my observation though that idiots that bother me would probably have bothered me when they were 40 or 50 younger just as much as they do now!

I'm 33 now and trip out about how old I'm getting all the time. Very strange.

Although men tend to age much more gracefully than women

Top Bottom