What's new

I think I need to accept reality.

You know I've been coming on here looking for recommendations on face care products hair products and even body wash. I don't really know why I've been doing it but I think I have a feeling why. I turn 50 in a couple of months, and for some reason I'm trying to chase something I really can't have and that is youth. I think I'm better off if I just accept that I don't look the same as I used to, and there are no miracle cures in a bottle. I don't know why it dawned on me tonight or why I'm even typing this right now but I feel like I can be honest with you guys. Maybe there's even someone out there who could relate just a little bit.

There is something to recognizing you can't maintain what you've got without a wee bit of attention on your hygiene. Don't sell that aspect short. I had issues with dry skin for years as a youth and young adult. Come to discover some of the soaps I'd used and the way I bathed weren't as 'useful' to my skin as I'd just assumed. I learned something when I finally took a bit of time for myself to learn about these things herewith shaving. Good journey Friend.

I’m 68. No profound advice, but my experience past 50 was to reassess my own style, and adjust a little. At 50 something I had let a few things slip - I had spent more than a decade working and raising a kid. Maybe the best improvements can be simple things - no one wants to see us trying to look younger. With that in mind, grooming is your friend. Get a good pair of shoes, polish the **** out of them. Get rid of that stained t-shirt. Shave. Get the hairs out of your nose and ears. Be a gentleman- be polite. Have a sense of humor. Be kind. Look at old folk who’ve figured it out. Read something outside of your comfort zone. Draw on the experience that your years have given you.
I hope this doesn’t read like a bunch of platitudes- it’s really stuff I’ve dragged together to keep myself going, and, at this point, I’m having a pretty good time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’m 68. No profound advice, but my experience past 50 was to reassess my own style, and adjust a little. At 50 something I had let a few things slip - I had spent more than a decade working and raising a kid. Maybe the best improvements can be simple things - no one wants to see us trying to look younger. With that in mind, grooming is your friend. Get a good pair of shoes, polish the **** out of them. Get rid of that stained t-shirt. Shave. Get the hairs out of your nose and ears. Be a gentleman- be polite. Have a sense of humor. Be kind. Look at old folk who’ve figured it out. Read something outside of your comfort zone. Draw on the experience that your years have given you.
I hope this doesn’t read like a bunch of platitudes- it’s really stuff I’ve dragged together to keep myself going, and, at this point, I’m having a pretty good time.
Why can't I write like this? Wonderfully, perfect advice my friend!

I had an EXTREMELY difficult day on my 50th birthday. I also did on my 30th! Believe it or not TWENTY was a hard age for me to accept as well. That's just stoopid!

For some reason, 40 didn't hurt at all. Probably because I had changed professions, gone back to Skool to be a Nurse, had a beautiful bouncing 2 year old boy, a loving wife......I was much too busy LIVING to be all caught up in myself.

My advice, which I think is EASILY worth what you are paying for it is this: life is SO short, and at the same time SO DANGED LONG, that we get bogged down in the minuetia (yeah, I spell bad, or badly!) that we don't enjoy the journey.

Being 50 almost 9 sucks. But I don't think I'd go back for any "do overs"..... Except maybe to go back in time to punch more than a few bosses in the nose.

The difference between men and women is that a man can be old, overweight, and bald and still think that they looks fantastic. We have the ability to age like a fine wine if stored in the right cellar. Women have a harder time. Some pull it off but they will rarely recognize it themselves.

Grooming, an age appropriate style, the dentist and the barber are your friends. A splash of colour in the wardrobe works wonders. Nothing ages more than wardrobe dominated with grey and beige. A nice fragrance never hurts either. You will never be any younger than you are today so make the most of what you’ve got.

I will soon be turning 40 and in my mind I have never looked better. I shave everyday, go for a haircut every couple of weeks, get my clothes tailored, started fasting and don’t stay out partying all night anymore. It makes a big difference. I plan to embrace the incoming greys and stay fit for as long as possible. At this age you can already see the difference between those that look after themselves and those that don’t.

Last edited:
The difference between men and women is that a man can be old, overweight, and bald and still think that they looks fantastic. We have the ability to age like a fine wine if stored in the right cellar. Women have a harder time. Some pull it off but they will rarely recognize it themselves.

Grooming, an age appropriate style, the dentist and the barber are your friends. A splash of colour in the wardrobe works wonders. Nothing ages more than wardrobe dominated with grey and beige. A nice fragrance never hurts either. You will never be any younger than you are today so make the most of what you’ve got.

I will soon be turning 40 and in my mind I have never looked better. I shave everyday, go for a haircut every couple of weeks, get my clothes tailored, started fasting and don’t stay out partying all night anymore. It makes a big difference. I plan to embrace the incoming greys and stay fit for as long as possible. At this age you can already see the difference between those that look after themselves and those that don’t.
More good advice! And Tomo, I gotta tell you, I admire your style- at least what I’ve seen in your shave den! Best to you.

Why can't I write like this? Wonderfully, perfect advice my friend!

I had an EXTREMELY difficult day on my 50th birthday. I also did on my 30th! Believe it or not TWENTY was a hard age for me to accept as well. That's just stoopid!

For some reason, 40 didn't hurt at all. Probably because I had changed professions, gone back to Skool to be a Nurse, had a beautiful bouncing 2 year old boy, a loving wife......I was much too busy LIVING to be all caught up in myself.

My advice, which I think is EASILY worth what you are paying for it is this: life is SO short, and at the same time SO DANGED LONG, that we get bogged down in the minuetia (yeah, I spell bad, or badly!) that we don't enjoy the journey.

Being 50 almost 9 sucks. But I don't think I'd go back for any "do overs"..... Except maybe to go back in time to punch more than a few bosses in the nose.
Farmer Tan, Thanks! You’ve been on my radar on this site. I too might enjoy a swing at a few old bosses, and a couple of landlords. And I count myself lucky in so many ways, tonight we had dinner inside with a couple of old friends ( we’ve all had our vaccines) - much love (and no respect!) from people that have seen us at our best and worst. I’m also happy for this forum - I have a feeling that there’s probably people that I might not ever meet in real life, might not share the same politics, views or whatnot - but I see much generosity here, and it inspires me to be my better self. Best to you as well.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My life was a massive disappointment for me; for many years I felt as though something unknown was missing. I drifted, drank too much, and it cost me my pride, dignity, self respect, job, car, driving license, and access to my child; it almost cost my home, my freedom and my life. At 50 I quit drinking and four years later I have back everything that I lost and a whole lot more; I am married to a wonderful woman and have a happiness and blessings like never before. I have learned unconditional self acceptance and the knowledge that the past will never get any better but the future most certainly can, and that is up to me and the choices I make. I know what was missing for me but for you it may be something different, it is that one thing.

ot.jpg

In my experience, men tend to age better than women. There are exceptions, of course. Men who take decent care of themselves can often look good for many years.

For me, the turning point was age 60 when I started taking pills for high-blood pressure. Things started going down from there.

No sage advice here but...if you don't like the way you look, then it might be time to reassess
your lifestyle choices. Our face and appearance are a reflection of our DNA and the way we
live our lives. You can do little about the first but you can do a lot more about the second. Getting
enough sleep, eating a good balanced diet, exercising daily, practicing good hygiene and drinking
alcohol in moderation are factors that you can control. Smoking seems to really do some damage
to not only our lungs but our skin as well. (am trying not to judge here, we all have our vices).
Even something as simple as drinking enough water each day can have a big impact on the
condition of our skin. IMHO there is no magic bullet in terms of a lotion or cream that can overcome
poor lifestyle habits. To sum up, change the things you can and don't worry about the things
you can't. My two cents...

I really like your quote "You will never be any younger than you are today so make the most of what you’ve got."
I may borrow it if that's okay ?

My life was a massive disappointment for me; for many years I felt as though something unknown was missing. I drifted, drank too much, and it cost me my pride, dignity, self respect, job, car, driving license, and access to my child; it almost cost my home, my freedom and my life. At 50 I quit drinking and four years later I have back everything that I lost and a whole lot more; I am married to a wonderful woman and have a happiness and blessings like never before. I have learned unconditional self acceptance and the knowledge that the past will never get any better but the future most certainly can, and that is up to me and the choices I make. I know what was missing for me but for you it may be something different, it is that one thing.

View attachment 1243454
Thank you for posting! I’m 44 now and quit drinking almost 2 years ago. It has been quite a journey, and acceptance isn’t always easy. Thank you for the reminder 🙏🏼

Guys thank you very much. I've been reading over these replies all morning and for some reason it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who either is going through something like this or has gone through it in the past. I don't know why turning 50 is a lot harder for me than other birthdays but it is. I've never really given my age that much thought and I've certainly never struggled with it until now. So this is kind of new.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I was about 43 when the wheels fell off. I'm now 47 with complex neurological issues, hobbling around with a walking stick, and bouncing off walls and fences. Wonky vision that specs can't fix, migraines, balance disorder, vertigo, "fight or flight" kicking in unnecessarily, impaired spatial awareness, defunct night vision, intermittent cognitive and communication issues. That's on the days I'm not bed ridden.

Forget looks. If everything works, get out there and use it. One day you might not be able to. Even now, I still try to make the most of what's left. Quit staring into the mirror, and focus on the road ahead. :)

Top Bottom