What's new

I think I might be a Rye man.

I had my first Manhattan a little over a year ago, and that was my intro to rye. It has been my go to ever since. Started with Old Overholt which I enjoy, and I’m currently drinking Rittenhouse. Templeton and Bulleit are definitely on my list especially since Bulleit is available very reasonably at Costco. I too like it with a cube of ice either straight or in a cocktail.

I had my first Manhattan a little over a year ago, and that was my intro to rye. It has been my go to ever since. Started with Old Overholt which I enjoy, and I’m currently drinking Rittenhouse. Templeton and Bulleit are definitely on my list especially since Bulleit is available very reasonably at Costco. I too like it with a cube of ice either straight or in a cocktail.

My humble opinion, but I would recommend Bulleit over Templeton, unless you find a nice sale on Templeton. They both start with the same juice, barrels & aging locations could be different. I'm from Iowa and want to love Templeton, but to my pallet they are too similar to justify the $6 to $9 dollar higher (in my area) of Templeton. If I find it on sale, i will almost certainly try the Templeton 6 year though.

As for Rye in general I find that I like the really high ryes like Templeton and Bulleit. I also bought a bottle of CR Northern Harvest Rye that says it's 90% rye, not had a chance to try it yet though.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've always enjoyed rye whiskey. One of my favorite, simple Summer drinks is a pour of rye with a dash of orange bitters, a dash of lemon bitters, and either one ice cube or a splash of cool water.

I've always enjoyed rye whiskey. One of my favorite, simple Summer drinks is a pour of rye with a dash of orange bitters, a dash of lemon bitters, and either one ice cube or a splash of cool water.
Mmm. There's something about Rye and citrus I think, have to try that.

Good man! You should try what I am drinking tonight: Woodinville Whiskey Company Rye! Terrific (and they have the awards to prove it)!

I like the Michter’s rye. Oddly, I like bourbon and rye, but the jury is still out on high rye bourbons. I liked the Old Grandad quite a bit, but didn’t care for the Redemption. More testing needed...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I meant to echo the above opinion about Whistle Pig, i.e., that it's a fine rye but not worth the price.

Overholt is great ... for Old Fashioneds and the like.

Bulleit Rye would be my go to neat or with one cube. I've had Tempelton and just wasn't that impressed. I've had Redemption in a cocktail ... but haven't had it neat yet.

Tried this last night. Was very good. Definite rye spiciness and nice finish. No burn and very smooth.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gents, picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse rye 100 proof for Vieux Carre and Manhattans and other cocktails calling for rye. I am not a big drinker to begin with but do enjoy reading about the traditional way many cocktails were formulated and try to stick to it til I at leadt know whether I like a certain spirit. I had a bottle of Bulleit Rye til some blackheart liberated it from the house! So I never got to know it very well. I grabed the Rittenhouse because...I have seen it over and over in YouTube videos dèmonstrating rye cocktails. Did I make a solid hoice? I haven't opened it yet.

I'm never without a bottle of Bulleit Rye, either from Costco or BevMo when they have a sale. Perfect for Manhattans and Old Fashioneds, and 1.75 litres lasts a while :)

Top Bottom