What's new

I think I might be a Rye man.

Fair to say I've been an enthusiastic whisk(e)y drinker since I came of age, though mostly interested in Scotch Whisky with the occasional Bourbon/Irish/Canadian/other for good measure. However, I have had something of a revelation of late.

In Australia we make far fewer whisky's than the lands of my fore fathers (this is slowly changing) and in my family anything outside of Scotch was considered inferior. But, I'm not above changing teams if it means a fine dram, regardless or the origin, so I had tried for some time to drink fine grain spirits from all over which might satisfy me. Canadian and Irish are fine, but Bourbon just didn't suit me unless it was in a highball. Some of the Japanese varieties I very much enjoy. Still have attempted any local offerings yet.

Then I found a recipe for a Penicillin which called for Rye Whiskey... I'd never even heard of Rye Whiskey. So I found some Jim Beam Prohibition Style Rye and make some cocktails; Rye, muddled ginger, honey, lime juice, splash of Laphroaig... bliss!

I'm well into the third bottle of Rye I've ever experienced and finding I like it however it comes; neat, water, ice, cocktail, highball, it's all good. The really bold initial character and soft finish, it's like having a fight with the wife followed by make-up... *cough* ... well, you get the idea.

:)

Big fan of rye myself for whenever I feel like drinking the dark stuff. Plenty of options that are reasonably priced too, although I guess a lot of the offerings in Oz are probably a lot more expensive right? My brother just got back from a trip to Melbourne and said he was shocked at how expensive the alcohol was (even for local beers).

Not so long ago the only rye whiskey I could find was Old Overholt (Doc Holiday's brand). It was cheap then but has been going up in price since rye has become more popular. I recently bought Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye, but have only had one drink, so it is too soon to tell if it is a keeper. Time will tell.

Not so long ago the only rye whiskey I could find was Old Overholt (Doc Holiday's brand). It was cheap then but has been going up in price since rye has become more popular. I recently bought Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye, but have only had one drink, so it is too soon to tell if it is a keeper. Time will tell.
I first tried Old Overholt because it was the only name I heard of. I was not impressed. Bulleit, on the other hand, is extraordinary!

Haven't seen either of those... We really miss out. On the plus side I'm enjoying the Knob's Creek a lot, lots of complex characters, far more than the others I've tried. It's more of a sipping Whiskey, not really well suited to cocktails. I have to look into how this is made and better understand where all the flavours come from.

Made up a Manhattan last night with Crown Royal Harvest Rye and enjoyed. I also enjoy it with a single ice cube. Rye neat is a tad too harsh for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm well into the third bottle of Rye I've ever experienced and finding I like it however it comes; neat, water, ice, cocktail, highball, it's all good. The really bold initial character and soft finish, it's like having a fight with the wife followed by make-up... *cough* ... well, you get the idea.

proxy.php

Interesting. Never thought about rye but I do recall being very impressed by a bottle of Knob Creek years ago. Will keep an eye out for a decent rye.

Most Canadian Whisky is Rye. Canadian Club, Wiser's, Gibson's Finest, Alberta Premium, Forty Creek Barrel Select, Walker's Special Old, Crown Royal.

Forty Creek Barrel Select is my new favorite, it has pushed all of the others off the table, even my longtime friend Crown Royal.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I like to tell jokes about whiskey.

I have a rye sense of humour.

Bulleit... for the money, cannot be beat. I've been drinking ryes since college, early 70's and the ryes on the market today are tasty. Too many others to mention...

I like Bulleit, Knob Creek Rye, and Sazerac. All good ones in my book. I had an expensive bottle of Whistlepig Rye but didn’t find it to be much better than your everyday Rye. Maybe my tastes are average.

Top Bottom