What's new

I think I love menthol in the summer: what’s the most mentholated soap around

Noble Otter has a new soap called Orbit. The menthol is bearable and the fragrance is masculine. I've tried the Chiseled Face Cryogen and its too strong for me. Eyes will water up to the point I can barely see! Also have some of the Glacial soaps by Stirling Soaps. Try the Glacial Margarita . Its got a menthol kick also.

I was looking to try a menthol other than Proraso Green myself, but hesitant with some of these recs as many contain lanolin...a few years back I convinced myself I reacted to that and have avoided soaps with that ingredient. Any thoughts on non-lanolin coolants?

Proraso pre shave and soap/cream is the upper limit of my menthol tolerance but I will follow this thread for sheer entertainment value :D

I have been using bigelow green and just bought a tub of the proraso green version along with my first try of the pre shave. Both a great esp after my work out on a hot day. I think tho I want to go “bigger”. May try PAA Frost Byte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisa's Florida Freeze is the high end limit for me. Then to finish off the shave, I have two bottles of Proraso Green AS. One bottle is as it came from the factory. The other bottle I add menthol crystals, it's got a bite!

Thought this might be fun to add to this thread. Double post from the Terror thread.

My Terror's coming in sometime today and I'll be using it tomorrow PM. Until then I'm using some Stirling Glacials so I have some basis of comparison. Here's yesterday's shave with Obsidian:

[For comparison's sake]

In preparation yesterday I used Stirling Obsidian Soap and AS. They are very strongly mentholated.

The soap runs right up to the edge of maybe becoming uncomfortable but not quite there. Sort of like the rush you get from a great chili pepper recipe when you're "pushing it." Maybe an 8 or 9 on my personal scal. Eyes almost watered but not quite. By my 3rd pass was looking forward to rinsing.

AS went on and starts to bite about a minute later. Maybe a 6 or 7 on my scale. Intense chill lasted about 10 minutes before i wasn't noticing it unless i thought about it..

90* humid day in NYC. It was nice. [Warning you've got to love that black licorice scent. It went on for a couple of hours.]

Probably do Satsuma today unless Terror shows up early.

I see Declaration Grooming has put out a soap version of Chatillon Lux Taum Sauk, which based on the aftershave I would expect to be heavily mentholated.

But Chiseled Face Cryogen and Fine Snake Bite should be the most

Just picked up Stirling Glacial Satsuma on sale from WCS and the smell is incredible!! I have not had a chance to use it yet, but I cannot wait.

Terror showed up early !!!! :a14: . Figure maybe next 90 minutes it'll get wet.

Initial impression is a very light pine/citrusy scent. Subtle on both counts but with a base of something underneath.

The Stirling rinses clean from brushes? Like will I need a brush just for it?

I went and checked my brush from yesterday (Obsidian) a moment ago. (Maggards SHD 2 band knot)

By feel the soap on my dry brush is gone. I didn't detect any residue and all I did was rinse it off under a running stream of water yesterday.

To my nose I didn't detect any menthol. I did still smell the anise -- which I expected.

So yes. I'll say it rinsed clean.

Terror: Be not afraid. For me it is a very pleasant soap and AS combo with a much greater than average menthol edge. No eye tearing. No desire to wash off of face. No worries the menthol chill is so pronounced it might do permanent damage to your nervous system.

It chills. It's a pronounced chill. It's a lasting chill ( a little over an hour as I'm writing this). But, if you're looking to be chilled it's very well balanced.

I'll put the difference between it and Stirling Glacial as very similar to what happens when one might order a spicy dish to eat. Think buffalo wings or chili or a vindaloo. Sometimes you just want something that's hot, warm and exciting. Sometimes some people want something that's going to push the limits and make them breathe fire.

Terror is more the hot (cold in this case) and exciting dish -- balanced enough you can taste the food but still amped enough to make it exciting. The Stirling glacials are closer to let's challenge the chef and see how hot (cold in this case) we can make it. There's a place for both and I enjoy both.

Overall verdict: Terror is a very pleasant yet chilling menthol experience. Cold enough to make you take notice, long lasting enough to let you enjoy it for a while with a nice somewhat subdued piney sort of smell plus all the usual great things you'd expect from B&M's bases and AS in terms of skin feel, lathering and glide .

Just shaved with the Glacial Satsuma tonight and it was noticably chillier than regular MITA. I love the sweet smell of oranges with the menthol. I had not used a Stirling glacial soap and likely would not want to do a glacial wintergreen as this Satsuma was cold enough for me.

Every time I use Stirling, I am reminded how good of a performing soap it is. Very enjoyable shaves.

I heard once, and please tell me if true or not....higher the menthol, the higher likelihood of nicks and weepers...I assume because of the numbing properties of the menthol...in the hands of an experienced wet shaver, I imagine this can be avoided (??)

Top Bottom