What's new

i think i give up on straights

just does not seem like i am able to get it down on shaving with a straight razor. i do love my de. mayby i need more practice and giving up to early i am not sure. but it just seems its not for me. i did have fun trying though.

Practice makes perfect. Try incorporating your de in your routine. Just shave your cheeks with the straight then finish with DE.
That way you learn straights with out neglecting your other razors

So, what makes you think this is not for you? Takes too much time? Did you cut yourself? Perhaps if you give us a bit more information, we can help?

This community will help you figure it out if you want to, but we need more information. What are your current stumbling blocks? If you just don't want to that is cool, to each his own, but if it is a comfort or performance issue I am betting we can help you out.

i been trying for a month now whipped dog honed a few old straights for me i had 3 done i bought the poor man strop kite. nothing seems wrong with how sharp the razors are. i did cut myself on my cheek that going to scar hehe but thats not what concerns me. it that it feel like unnatrual when i am trying to shave my neck. or trying to shave my left side i am right handed i tried both ways using my left hand for left side and using right hand for left side. i may try again in a week or so i guess just frustrated a little bit. trying to find that perfect angle wtg is how i cut myself on my de i always has to shave atg. straight i really do not want to try that. cheeks seems just fine wtg but neck part is a diffrent story. there is the time thing to days i work i just do not have the time for it sometimes i do 12 hour shifts. so i was doing it on my days off and useing de on my work days.

Yup, the neck can be a challenge. No flat surfaces, just a bumpy, tendon-laced column, so to speak. For me, it took forever to realize that I shave my neck best when I am stretching from the bottom, regardless of shaving N to S, or S to N. If I stretch from my chin, I catch the edge on skin folds. Stretch from near my shoulders, and those folds all but disappear and the razor rides right over them. I also needed to learn to shave my neck much more lightly then my cheeks. The razors were brutal when teaching me this.

No point in pushing it, if you're frustrated. Take a couple days, enjoy your DE, let your skin relax and heal a bit, then try again if it "calls you." This time with a super light touch, barely touching the skin, just to get the motions. In fact, you might try AFTER shaving with you DE. Don't even worry about removing hair, just get the motions down a bit. And STRETCH!!!

Good luck!

Larry has a lot of good suggestions there! I love the idea of using your straight after you DE shave. Concentrate on a very light gentle touch and short easy strokes. Skin stretching and blade angle on an already smooth face. I know that my last pass is the easiest because there is so little hair left. I call it my Hollywood pass because it really makes me look like an expert.

Hi,

Shaving with a straight is a school of patience before anything else. I am not a patient man but it took me (and most of the friends of this community) at least 100-150 shaves before I started to control the situation. And I am still learning ..!

Larry gave you great advises and we can help you progressing if you so wish. Just give yourself another chance and ...time.
Cheers

I got myself a straight for Christmas. I've just been using it around every 3 days or so, and using my DE in between. And I'm just doing one pass when I do use it, and using the DE to smoothen things out a bit. This is helping me learn slower and not get so frustrated with it. I'm and lefty and my right hand has always been next to useless, but I've been forcing myself to use my right hand each time and I can tell I keep getting better and better. Baby steps.. You'll get there if you want to.

You can always do a WTG pass with the DE to knock it down and finish up with the straight. That will save you most of the tugging while you learn the angle.

Due credit: [MENTION=44174]Doc226[/MENTION] often suggests beginners shave with their DE first. Not an original thought on my part (lightning hasn't struck this month).

It would be nice, if that were the case. But actually, he'll hone my razors on a sidewalk, if I'm not careful . . . . lol

I imagine Doc would give you a shaveable edge, even on a sidewalk. It would have to be a Japanese sidewalk though. :)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You stuck it out this long, might as well go the distance!

At the same time maybe you just enjoy DE shaving more. It doesn't reflect on you in anyway as it is just a preference. I would suggest, however, that you not sell your kit right away in case you have a change of heart should you turn your back on the Dark Side.:lol:

Top Bottom