What's new

I think I Found 1612’s Big Brother!

My intrigue with the ER 1612(far left) led to to this Bone handle mystery brush(far right).

73B8A70D-ADCE-4960-A7D6-522D0E466F32.jpeg

Once I got it home I was able to twist it(I heard rattling inside the handle) to release the decades old crystallized “glue”. It rotated in an orderly way, as if on threads. Sure enough, the ferrule was tapped for a threaded handle. And the ferrule, which I originally thought was wood, probably is not wood-could it be horn?!

439D5A4E-D402-4432-B917-A6F19DD9FA2C.jpeg

Do I have the big brother of my 1612M?

Originally I thought it was going to be more like this interesting and old wood handled brush(below, far left) which I have failed to turn up much information on.

1CEF4D17-53BB-4413-936A-20EE90BFF35D.jpeg

When twisting the ferrule, both released in much the same way. An old crystallized substance is holding the knot together, leading me to believe they all pre-date “knots set in rubber”
The “ebony” ferrule is not tapped to serve as a screw-on ferrule, but it is fitted and held together with an adhesive material.

54C68F6D-220B-4F06-89A0-90D1DFB1C895.jpeg

Happy days here in Northeast Texas. Now I just have to decide how to proceed with both unknown brushes.

@emwolf Here is a Horn & Bone possibility.

Last edited:
My intrigue with the ER 1612(far left) led to to this Bone handle mystery brush(far right).

View attachment 928652

Once I got it home I was able to twist it(I heard rattling inside the handle) to release the decades old crystallized “glue”. It rotated in an orderly way, as if on threads. Sure enough, the ferrule was tapped for a threaded handle. And the ferrule, which I originally thought was wood, probably is not wood-could it be horn?!

View attachment 928653
Do I have the big brother of my 1612M?

Originally I thought it was going to be more like this interesting and old wood handled brush(below, far left) which I have failed to turn up much information on.

View attachment 928655

When twisting the ferrule, both released in much the same way. An old crystallized substance is holding the knot together, leading me to believe they all pre-date “knots set in rubber”
The “ebony” ferrule is not tapped to serve as a screw-on ferrule, but it is fitted and held together with an adhesive material.

View attachment 928654

Happy days here in Northeast Texas. Now I just have to decide how to proceed with both unknown brushes.

@emwolf Here is a Horn & Bone possibility.
Nice vintage brushes brother. So, you are purchasing replacement knots?

Nice vintage brushes brother. So, you are purchasing replacement knots?
I might just have more than a couple. A 20mm will fit nicely in the Bone & Horn. The Ebony and Wood brush will need at least a 20mm knot if everything stays as it is.
I put a light in the Bone ferrule and saw a beautiful pattern. Totally Stoked! It's cracked and I'll need to repair it, but it should really pop once it is treated and isn't so dry.

I might just have more than a couple. A 20mm will fit nicely in the Bone & Horn. The Ebony and Wood brush will need at least a 20mm knot if everything stays as it is.
I put a light in the Bone ferrule and saw a beautiful pattern. Totally Stoked! It's cracked and I'll need to repair it, but it should really pop once it is treated and isn't so dry.
Gorilla makes a clear glue now. Elmer wood glue is nice. Of course, if you want to go vintage, mix up some hide glue. :)

Gorilla makes a clear glue now. Elmer wood glue is nice. Of course, if you want to go vintage, mix up some hide glue. :)
I will most likely take a file to the inside of the horn to create some horn dust and use that dust to mix with the CA for the crack.
IMG_6585.JPG

I put a little oil on the horn to reveal the grain and colors. It's "bone-dry"
IMG_3979.JPG

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Interesting brushes, funny how the bristles finishing up leaning in the same direction.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I want to see the crack repair when you have finished
it looks like it will go back together for you nicely

Top Bottom