What's new

I think I could be the first.

After a few weeks of experimentation I have decided that warm lather is not for me. I've tried it with my various scuttles as well as a few other techniques and I simply get better results from cool lather. Somehow something of the hydrating quality is lost when I heat the lather, I don't know if its my technique or the water in my area but its just not working. So whilst lathering up with some nice hot lather sure is a luxury that I will indulge in on slow days I'm not one of those 'I will never shave without one again' types.

Test items:

Ayars Lather Bowl
Small Moss Scuttle
Large Moss Scuttle
Dirtybird Scuttle
Old Fashioned Soap Scuttle
Mug

Heated Water:

Water as hot as bathroom tap would go (Around 60 celcius the legal maximum of Aussie water heaters)
Boiled water from electric kettle

I guess I'll be trading some scuttles soon, no point in selling to get them since posting back up north costs the price of the scuttle I effectively paid double for much of this stuff.

Sounds like your water is too hot. The purpose of a scuttle is to keep lather warm so it's not uncomfortable when it hits your face (cold lather will also have a detrimental effect on your prep, as the hair hits the cold and decides to hide). Too much heat, as you've found, will kill your lather. Try something around comfortable bath heat, if not just above. That should do the trick. Keep us posted!

I used to do that but it was cold well before the end of the shave. If it can't stay hot the entire time I really can't be bothered.

yeah, I only use a ghetto scuttle (bowl floating in sink) when I can be bothered too.

let me know if/when you decide to let go of a scuttle though!

Ghetto scuttle. Great. That's the method I use and it keeps the lather warm, which I prefer. But after an extended camping/hiking trip, where I did shave, at least occasionally, I found that I could get a good shave without all the hot water I use at home.

Well, actually I was scratching my head this morning since I seemed to get less irritation on my second pass, using cooled off lather left in the brush...

Sooo...I don't know...:confused:

I did a cold-only shave, after a cold-only shower today, but I did that because it's so hot and humid right now that the mere thought of hot water makes my blood boil--literally. I used proraso pre because it feels so nice and cool, then lathered, in cold water, from an EJ aloe soap, shaved, washed with cold water, relathered, 2nd pass, washed with cold, splashed some AS, balm, and that was it.

Apparently my face didn't mind, as there's zero irritation.

I use hot water to start, but if it doesn't stay hot it's no big deal. A lot of the time I am using mentholated cream or soap, anyway, so if it gets cold doesn't bother me. Now when it's cold I may break out the ghetto scuttle, but I don't like a sink full of stubble-infested water, as it gets all over my mug. That's another reason I don't use it often.

I use hot water to start, but if it doesn't stay hot it's no big deal. A lot of the time I am using mentholated cream or soap, anyway, so if it gets cold doesn't bother me. Now when it's cold I may break out the ghetto scuttle, but I don't like a sink full of stubble-infested water, as it gets all over my mug. That's another reason I don't use it often.
+1. Exactly the reason why I stopped using the 'ghetto scuttle' method.

Even with water at 120F (49C), the lather in my brush scuttle goes all bubbly and useless. Someone posted temperatures where lather breaks down. It's a little above body temperature, but I don't remember exactly. I'm not ready to dump the scuttle and go cold, but I will try lowering the temperature a little.

The sink full of dirty water is why I dumped the ghetto scuttle and went to face lathering. The brush scuttle followed.

I was forced to do the cold shave this past weeked. no hot water at the beach hotel...what did i expect for 80 bucks a night in season..
had to cold shave w/ L'Occitane soap. It was the best shave I've gotten from that soap. will be trying it with my other soaps soon.

i find warm lather turns to foam, cuase it seems the water evaporates the moisture in the creamy lather,

for me i like to warm my brush, build lather and just rinse with warm water in between passes

i also find that if i soak my brush in my bills bowl full of hot water it gives the bowl jsut a touch of warmth so that it doesnt just feel cold on the face :)

Top Bottom