What's new

I think I botched it

So I have a KC razor it was stamped with my initials the bevel wasn't set and I tried to set it strip it and the Polish it with no luck then I tried to straight on the spine set the bevel the strip and polish but nothing is working I think I'm grinding it to hard I normally use knife straightners for hunting not stones for honing as I've read it's different and requires different skill as I've also read I could be Rollins or blanking the edge any help would be very appropriated I've had these blades for over a year I collect them I love using them but they're all dull my grandfather gave me his as no one in the family besides me is any good with knives or cares enough so it is a great honor and a skill I keep close at heart to learn and perfect I would like to be able to shave with the red imp he gave me after I hone it myself at some point

Welcome Nuvinamermaid.

It's hard to tell what you are actually doing. I'm guessing that english is not your first language. If you post your general location there is possibly a member close by that could take a look at your razors, stones, and technique.

Welcome Nuvinamermaid.

It's hard to tell what you are actually doing. I'm guessing that english is not your first language. If you post your general location there is possibly a member close by that could take a look at your razors, stones, and technique.
I'm in Colorado

I apologize for all the typos it's normally late when I research something that I'm working on and I don't use punctuation unless it's for work

Welcome to the forum.
Like Vic, I too am in Colorado. Im in the Springs. When Im not in the truck i can take a look at your razors. Honing a razor is something that takes much time and learning before you can get great edges. PM if your in my area or Victors part of the woods and we can try to help ya out.

I am guessing your razor is one of these, probably the first one, but the second one appeals to a lot of folks also.

Both are rebranded Gold Dollars and even though the retailer says "No need to hone this beauty, it comes ready to roll. Well balanced carbon steel, with good weight on the blade for an easy shave. All you need from here is a strop to keep the blade on it and you're set. " i'd be surprised if it was.

Most gold dollars require some extra effort to maximize their potential, whether it be honing wth the shoulder off the hones, modfyng the shoulder and/or fixing the geometry of the razor (spine width to razor width).

proxy.php

proxy.php

My suggestion would be to go to some antique store bay, find a second Red Imp or similar razor in decent condition and learn to hone on that non-sentimental or non-Gold Dollar razor first.

Good Luck!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My suggestion is to ignore folks hung up on punctuation. I'm dyslexic. I don't even see punctuation most of the time, lol.

So I have a KC razor it was stamped with my initials the bevel wasn't set and I tried to set it strip it and the Polish it with no luck then I tried to straight on the spine set the bevel the strip and polish but nothing is working I think I'm grinding it to hard I normally use knife straightners for hunting not stones for honing as I've read it's different and requires different skill as I've also read I could be Rollins or blanking the edge any help would be very appropriated I've had these blades for over a year I collect them I love using them but they're all dull my grandfather gave me his as no one in the family besides me is any good with knives or cares enough so it is a great honor and a skill I keep close at heart to learn and perfect I would like to be able to shave with the red imp he gave me after I hone it myself at some point

What are you trying to hone on? The gold dollars aren't particularly easy to hone for a beginner.

Looks like a rebranded ZY Razor or possibly a RSO ( Razor shaped object ) just because it looks like a straight does not make it one.

Top Bottom