What's new

I think I am beginning to come down with RAD, is there a cure?

I think that I will use an analogy to describe what this is like. Imagine that you are stuck on Gilligan's island. You have successfully hitched yourself to Maryanne (Rockwell 6S). She is pleasant to look at. She is stable. She will stick with you through thick and thin and never let you down. She is the girl next door and she will do you wrong. She is just right. But along comes Ginger (1934 Gillette Aristocrat). She has the classic lines and seductive curves. Her teeth are straight and shiny. If you nudge her bottom in the right direction she will open up like a flower. You are fairly sure she will be high maintenance but when you look at her, you heart beats faster and your palms sweat and you know that you want her. She will probably bring you nothing but misery but still, you want her. Sigh. I think I need to stick with Maryanne and just live happily ever after. Ginger, you are just a fantasy.

Attachments

• Vintage-Gillette-1934-Aristocrat-Open-Comb-TTO-Safety.jpg
    Vintage-Gillette-1934-Aristocrat-Open-Comb-TTO-Safety.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Aristocrat open.jpg
    Aristocrat open.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 13
I went for 14 years using nothing but my grandfather’s Gillette NEW Long Comb and my Dad’s Super Speed. I didn’t even know what they were called other then Gillette and I was happy. When I couldn’t find DE blades in the local pharmacy or grocery store I went online to find blades. Two years later I have 40+ razors, at least a dozen soaps, brushes, spashes and 5,000 blades.

I enjoy my hoard and am still happy but I wish I would have spaced out my razor purchases to maybe one a month or one a quarter to draw out the acquisition enjoyment and to really use the new acquisition but at this point my RAD is cured. I don’t even feel a tingle when a hot new razor comes out or I trip over a beautiful classic. I still suffer from SAD and to a lesser extent BAD though. For some reason I never had an interest in acquiring brushes. I have five but use one.

Last edited:
Great question, is there a cure for RAD. Of course there isn't. I know of no 12 step recovery program for shaving related AD's. And I'm thankful there isn't one!

Having three kids and a wife that doesn't work has helped me keep mine in check. I'm madly in love with my Fatboy, but I'm still on eBay or Facebook marketplace looking at vintage razors or looking at high end models on other websites pretty much every other day. Just haven't bought any of them since I really can't afford to be buying all these razors.

Wait until you start trying a few good soaps and aftershaves...
I don’t think that will be much of an issue. I lost my sense of smell completely about 7 years ago so one cologne smells the same as another to me. First cream that I bought was TOBS sandalwood. My wife hated the smell. I liked the cream though. Next I tried DR Harris Windsor cream and she really likes that so I bought the matching soap, aftershave milk and cologne. Might as well make her nose happy right? However I did just order a Simpson Trafalgar T2 synthetic brush even though I am happy with my Omega synthetic brush. I know that I am being anal because I bought the British soaps, creams aftershaves, colognes and British made Gillette Aristocrat razor. So I needed a British made brush right? Just think of all the money I am saving using DE blades!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I am new to DE shaving and I have been shaving s short while with a Rockwell 6S. I like it quite a bit. I have even posted that I don't intend to buy another razor. Then it happened. During some slow time I was browsing "The Safety Razor Of The Week" sticky and I saw the 1934 Gillette Aristocrat. It was love at first sight. Now I find myself browsing Ebay and the buy, sell, trade section. I don't need another razor. Do I? My infatuation with that razor is unexplainable. Now I just noticed some nice Gillette Super Speeds for sale at $20. That's not much to spend is it? It is like owning a piece of history right? I think I am starting to understand why some here have a rotation of razors in their stables. There must be a cure that I can take before it really takes hold.
All very good rhetorical questions :ouch1:

Top Bottom