What's new

I think Artist Club blades are spoiling me

I bought a used Razorock Hawk-A from the BST about 8 weeks ago. I've since purchased the standard Hawk baseplate and 4 or 5 different AC blades.

After consistently getting fantastic shaves with the Hawk and trying the various blades I sold my Razorock Game Changer and Lupo to help fund the purchase of a new Blackland Vector. While I found the Vector to require a bit different technique than the Hawk (mainly requiring more pressure) it too gives fantastic shaves and has a wide effective shaving angle from shallow to steep. And the various blades can make it go from mild to wild, so to speak.

The only negative I see is the AC blades are more expensive but they do last me personally several more shaves than a DE blade, so the cost per shave is not much higher if you shop around and find the best price on the AC blades. Also, the single-edge razor naturally requires more frequent rinsing. But the overall shave experience is superior IMHO.

So my DE razors have been collecting dust; I think I've used a DE razor 3 or 4 times in the last 8 weeks and I know once was the Gillette Slim just for Vintage April and Adjustable April.

Rest assured my Lambda Athena, Blackbird, and Timeless DE razors are not going anywhere. But I do have about a dozen or so others that may be finding new homes, time will tell.

I have to agree with Shane in the video I will post below. If you are coming from cartridge razors consider the AC single-edge razors. The various blades let you vary the level of aggressiveness instead of buying several DE razors or different base plates for them.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
These days; when growing a long scraggly beard and populating it lichens, isopods, and foraging mammals is de rigueur; any form of shaving is being spoiled. Might as well get the most out of it, right?

I bought a used Razorock Hawk-A from the BST about 8 weeks ago. I've since purchased the standard Hawk baseplate and 4 or 5 different AC blades.

After consistently getting fantastic shaves with the Hawk and trying the various blades I sold my Razorock Game Changer and Lupo to help fund the purchase of a new Blackland Vector. While I found the Vector to require a bit different technique than the Hawk (mainly requiring more pressure) it too gives fantastic shaves and has a wide effective shaving angle from shallow to steep. And the various blades can make it go from mild to wild, so to speak.

The only negative I see is the AC blades are more expensive but they do last me personally several more shaves than a DE blade, so the cost per shave is not much higher if you shop around and find the best price on the AC blades. Also, the single-edge razor naturally requires more frequent rinsing. But the overall shave experience is superior IMHO.

So my DE razors have been collecting dust; I think I've used a DE razor 3 or 4 times in the last 8 weeks and I know once was the Gillette Slim just for Vintage April and Adjustable April.

Rest assured my Lambda Athena, Blackbird, and Timeless DE razors are not going anywhere. But I do have about a dozen or so others that may be finding new homes, time will tell.

I have to agree with Shane in the video I will post below. If you are coming from cartridge razors consider the AC single-edge razors. The various blades let you vary the level of aggressiveness instead of buying several DE razors or different base plates for them.

Bullgoose just reduced their Asylum RX-2 from $189 to $120 with free U S shipping and I grabbed one to have with my original Asylum.

I had to educate a few sellers on eBay that they just can't list razors for ridiculous prices and expect a buyer stampede, They respond "Well, I have to pay commissions" and I reply "I have to pay your sometimes inflated domestic shipping prices and high California sales tax." Of course, when their "rare one of a kind" razor attracts zero bidders they usual re-list at the same high starting bid price.

Covid, nearly empty offices, an iffy economy, the aging wet shaver user and collector and the decline in shaving requirements has taken the bloom off the rose.

Top Bottom