What's new

I think about the girl I left Behind

Thinner lather has helped. I shower shave with a DE and can't help but think that strategy would yield, and maintain, a nice moist face during a straight razor shave. However I am in the safety business and a risk management analysis reveals some potential hazards involved. I will work on hazard mitigation efforts and maybe give that a go.

TY! I guess I thought azwetshaver meant to leave a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possible but maybe forgot but I did a search and found that link... Mine is the black and white XL and love it for winter, never tried it in the summer with iced water that will come next year.....

Possible but maybe forgot but I did a search and found that link... Mine is the black and white XL and love it for winter, never tried it in the summer with iced water that will come next year.....

I’m in love with the idea of leaving a small bowl of lather in the hot water. I think it would concentrate the heat. I like hot lather year round [emoji51]

Did he build the lather in the cup from the soaps container, I wonder. The site leads me to believe he doesn’t keep his soap in the cup.

looks like he grates it and presses it into the soap bowl, that's what he put into the scuttle to heat up he even does lids for the soap bowl. So he must leave the soap in the little dish the mind ponders..... He could be a face latherer so he would just put the brush in the scuttle to keep warm..

looks like he grates it and presses it into the soap bowl, that's what he put into the scuttle to heat up he even does lids for the soap bowl. So he must leave the soap in the little dish the mind ponders..... He could be a face latherer so he would just put the brush in the scuttle to keep warm..

I was thinking he put the cup in the scuttle to heat it up. I could see that as a real advantage. Lots of hot water around a smaller ball of lather.

You will get it eventually. Stretch your skin and be sure that your razor is up to par. Ensure that your strop is also good.

OK so I have a razor I acquired that definitely needed to be honed. It did not appear to have much of a bevel at all. I did the Sharpie test and the blade did indeed appear to be out of whack (I should have taken pictures throughout the process but I was in the middle of the battle). I have watched 100 honing videos and have Shapton Pro 1000, 5000, 8000, and 12,000 stones (I am a danger to myself and others).

I went after it... I tried not to apply any pressure but it looks like a lot of metal has fled the scene. On the other hand... I think it is fairly sharp.

Doesn't look like you're getting consistent bevel contact. Probably needs a rolling X stroke to hit it consistently.

I know in any war there will be losses. Some wounded and others making the ultimate sacrifice. The war to conquer the straight razor is not going well. It is easy to be discouraged. I look around and see nothing but carnage and desolation. In times of quiet honesty I ask myself, "Should I even be here? What do I hope to accomplish?"

I hope all is well back home in the DE/SE world. I am looking for happier times but for now I just hope to survive moment to moment, day to day... shave to shave.

War is Hell.

View attachment 1025692

Don't stress. I still get small cuts and bad razor burn when using straights. It's esspecially worse if I don't have time to use a straight for a week or two. From what I have read seems like it will take a hundred or so shaves with a straight before you are great at it. Don't know if I believe that. But I will say going between straights and safety's. I tend to use a little more pressure with a safety razor since I shave faster. With a straight you definitely have to watch the pressure you use. Tonight I used a little too much pressure on my jaw line and very bottom of my neck and feels like I went through a meat grinder. Just don't give up. Maybe try alternating between the two. Use the safety to just go WTG. That way it gives your skin a little break while you are really getting the hang of straights.

Top Bottom