What's new

I taught my Dad to shave today, our way.

My Dad recently had his 60th birthday, and I wanted to do something for him shave related. So I got him a silver bowl at an antique store and melted a puck of VDH glycerin soap into it. I also got a VDH boar brush, and a latte mug for making lather. Along with these I gave him a Gem 1912 with CVS blades, a slim adjustable in good condition, and a Star DE razor (gold) in excellent condition. For DE blades I gave him a pack of Wilkinson swords from Walmart (my favorite) and a pack of Feather blades. His first reaction was "Are you sure you want to give me these razors, I know how much you like them." I told him yes, they are his now, and he should enjoy them. I them taught him how to make lather, and he loaded a Wilkinson into the star razor and proceeded to get a great shave. For those that don't know the Star razors shave just like a Gillette tech. Theo only thing he said would be hard to get used to is no pressure, as he is used to using cart razors. He seemed to really enjoy the gift, and is really looking forward to trying out the Gem 1912, which is my personal favorite safety razor. I believe we have another one in the fold gentlemen.

Thanks to B&B for passing along the collective knowledge that I, in turn, have been able to pass on to my sons and now, my Dad.

Oh, I told him if he is ever interested in a straight I would hook him up. He gave me a firm "no thanks". :lol:

I wish I could do that with my dad, he has been an electric
shaver since the 70's and doesn't want anything to do with, as he calls it, 'that mess'

You are a good son. :thumbup:

Time was, fathers would teach their sons the manly art of wet-shaving! But I digress...

You are lucky. Both me and my brother have wanted to convert my father, to the point that my brother bought him a birth razor, and we would honestly give him anything he wanted....soaps, creams, brushes, etc.
We did not even try to give anything to him. He thinks we are crazy for using such old, outdated technology.

Again, well done. It will give you someone to talk to about shaving, in REAL LIFE!!!

thoughtful gift and it's cool that your dad is willng to try a new way of shaving. My dad is also 60 but I know for a fact if I bought him DE stuff he would never touch it, he fears change :mellow:

Great story!

I did the same thing for my Dad back in the summer. He is 77 and I gave him a crap load of aftershaves, brushes, soap with old spice mug, creme, a slim adjustable and blades for it and more blades for his trac II.

I went back home for Xmas and he's still using his cart, but he loves using the brush and creme/soap.

It's funny because he's got his shave den set up on the counter displaying it all proudly and I thought he would keep it all under the sink.

It never too late to enjoy the shaving process.

I don't think my dad would try either. His hands shake too much and I would be afraid he would slice himself. Even though it wouldn't be deep, it is the fact that he would slice himself almost every time.

I love the fact you could do this for your father.

Top Bottom