What's new

I take it tabac

From Fine discontinued message saying it was the same soap base.
True, but it could have been reverse engineered. Fine took pains to say theirs was made in The Netherlands, and included this on their packaging, while Tabac is/was made in Germany.

When you follow the different companies, I think you find they are/were related, so it is hard to say for sure. The parent company of Mäurer & Wirtz had holdings in The Netherlands.

There was discussion of this scattered throughout this thread when the Fine soap was discontinued (with some inconsistemcies and conflicting opinions). It is hard to tell for sure who made what and where, at least it is for me. Companies being bought and sold, subsidiaries, etc.

Last edited:
True, but it could have been reverse engineered. Fine took pains to say theirs was made in The Netherlands, and included this on their packaging, while Tabac is/was made in Germany.

When you follow the different companies, I think you find they are/were related, so it is hard to say for sure. The parent company of Mäurer & Wirtz had holdings in The Netherlands.

There was discussion of this scattered throughout this thread when the Fine soap was discontinued (with some inconsistemcies and conflicting opinions). It is hard to tell for sure who made what and where, at least it is for me. Companies being bought and sold, subsidiaries, etc.

It says the same soap base. I didn't care to research this in the first place, but, found the link since two people had doubts. Whether it was made in the same place as Tabac or not, it is just as epic. Either the same or comparable without smelling like an "old lady's purse", which was my original point. The fact that there were so many scent options was the icing on the cake. I just shaved with Lavender Pour Homme yesterday and was again struck by the performance and enjoyable scent. I stocked up a while ago. When my Tabac ran out I did not care to reorder.

Last edited:
I always felt Haslinger was a notch better than Tabac, except for Tabac's classic modern design bowl and bottle. When Haslinger changed to non-tallow, it wasn't quite the same, and ime requires more water, but was still a notch above Tabac imo. Now that Tabac is changing, I'm hoping the change is similar. Based on both positive and negative reviews I've seen here, I'm guessing it will no longer be as quick and foolproof to create 'proto' lather. More patience will be needed whipping up a nice thick and pasty proto lather before one can begin to add water. Then we'll see how it works when done properly.

Tabac is a great soap. Not my favorite scent, but it is nice and the lather is top notch. It's the only commercial soap I keep around.

When I first started shaving I gave tabac a try and really didn’t like it I couldn’t get a half decent lather out of it so I came here and said my bit….welp now a couple years later I thought you know what I’ll try it again ….lo and behold it was super thick and slick …I take what I said tabac..it’s fairly good stuff I just didn’t know how to lather it properly back then… mmm that musky smell
Hi hcoop111, How did your technique and tools evolve over the past couple of years to produce the improved lather?

tools I used to use were a wahl traditional badger brush (can’t remember the mm) a futur clone (it wasn’t half bad tbh but can’t compare to the real deal) the tabac soap and a bowl…I started off bowl lathering but now I mainly do face lathering … nowadays I use whatever soap I have a futur gold (amazing little razor ) or a yaqi katana it’s a single edge that takes half of a de blade pretty good little razor it makes almost any blade good…a yaqi 2 band brush either 24mm or 26mm and whatever razor blade is next in a pile..I take whatever is at the top and when the pile is finished I remake another pile of blades probably like hrm 1-2months a pile-ish…as for how I do it all …I start off by filling the sink just enough to cover my badger hairs fully I let the soak whilst I load from my selected shaving soap of the day …now how much soap varies but I do it by feel and look..if I start to get resistance or the brush itself looks pretty coated I know to stop there it’s plenty…then what I do is I splash my face a couple of times with warm water …grab the brush I start swirling there is no time here I do it by feel and look …usually I will dip once have a few swirls and paints then dip it again a few swirls and paints then after that it’s pretty much done for me…I shave it all off I can get bbs in a 2 pass where as I used to take 3 passes …i go wtg then atg…I wash my brush out into the water then I splash my face quickly to remove the soap…then empty the water and splash cold water on my face a couple of times and rub around make sure nothing is left behind…I grab whatever aftershave I am using I find 1-2 shakes to be enough I smear that everywhere I wipe the rest on my arms for a bit of extra scent …then whilst I let that absorb into the skin I’ll dispose of blade reload etc etc tidy up then come back and grab a small amount of moisturiser depending on what it is I could skim the top of the cream a bit or scoop a nails worth of cream…spread that all over my face and wipe what’s left on my arms and elbows … that’s what it’s like nowadays …………

Back then it was…I would load until I thought I had enough (because I didn’t know it probably wasn’t enough ) I’d swirl into the bowl and pump wayyyy to much air that was probably half of my problem was I was injecting lots of air way to early into the lather making …when I thought it was done I’d just scrub it everywhere and paste ot on (it was really subpar lather) have my shave and I’d be heavy handed probably get a cut or some red skin or dry skin (takes ages to get rid of) …it has really changed a lot now and I havnt had a cut for a pretty long time tbh not any of those I just mentioned… it probably takes a couple months to dial stuff in properly after that it’s gravy 👍

Top Bottom