What's new

I surrender... I'm buying a pipe

You've done it. You've worn down my resolve.

Good job! :biggrin:

I enjoy a cigar from time to time, and can't see any reason to not try a pipe. The question is, which one, and from where?

Ive read through the (awesome) threads in here on fixing up a used one. I feel pretty comfortable with having to do that. I was on eBay looking about, and saw some super cheap new pipes. Are these the equivalent of super cheap (terrible) razors? Shall I just ignore them?

Whats the difference between a new pipe and an old one?

What makes a pipe good, what makes a pipe bad?

Long stem makes the smoke cooler I assume? Anything else?

Any shops to check out in Sydney anyone knows?

Help!

The biggest difference between a new pipe and an old one, generally speaking is a new one is likely unsmoked. Even after cleaning there is likely to be the scent of the previous owners tobacco. This will be replaced with whatever you choose after smoking a few bowls but it is something to be aware of. Also there may be some other cleaning and repair issues especially off the 'bay. Check for good pictures to identify if there are any burns or cracks. Ask questions when in doubt. A good pipe is made of good raw materials and put together well. The drilling is precise with the draft hole at the bottom of the bowl and allows for an open draw without turbulence. The fit of the stem is snug but the tenon will allow the stem to be removed without too much force and when assembled fits together without gaps. engineering is probably the single most important thing with regard to how well a pipe smokes. I've seen some great deals on ebay but super cheap new pipe doesn't sound promising to me, if they give a brand or description you can always ask here and we can give you a go/no go. I have excellent new smokers for under $30 but they were from reputable retail sellers.

Metal pipe (Falcons, Kirstens, etc) dissipate heat better and smoke very cool. They are made with interchangeable briar bowls that can be replaced easily. They aren't as pretty as a briar or meerschaum pipe, but they are incredibly practical pipes.

Stay away from brand new dirt cheap pipes from china. They are made of plastic.

The member Badger & Bengall might know a smoke shop over there. Glad to have you over here in the brown leaf mdunn!

I'm new to pipes I just do a corncob, it's cheap but I like the results and you are not out alot of coin if you don't like it. My favOrige tobacco is Seattle pipe club plum pudding. Visit tobacco reviews.com

The biggest difference between a new pipe and an old one, generally speaking is a new one is likely unsmoked. Even after cleaning there is likely to be the scent of the previous owners tobacco. This will be replaced with whatever you choose after smoking a few bowls but it is something to be aware of. Also there may be some other cleaning and repair issues especially off the 'bay. Check for good pictures to identify if there are any burns or cracks. Ask questions when in doubt. A good pipe is made of good raw materials and put together well. The drilling is precise with the draft hole at the bottom of the bowl and allows for an open draw without turbulence. The fit of the stem is snug but the tenon will allow the stem to be removed without too much force and when assembled fits together without gaps. engineering is probably the single most important thing with regard to how well a pipe smokes. I've seen some great deals on ebay but super cheap new pipe doesn't sound promising to me, if they give a brand or description you can always ask here and we can give you a go/no go. I have excellent new smokers for under $30 but they were from reputable retail sellers.
What he said. I second the corncob recommendation. I knew if I waited long enough someone else would do my typing for me.:001_cool:

Ok, thanks so far guys.

What's the price point for value? I mean I'm looking for the sweetspot of good engineering without too much money for extra fancyness (if you follow).

$50?

State side you can get a great smoker in that range - Savinelli naturals, and Romas, as well as entry level Petersons. You should be able to find nice estate Petes, GBD, Comoy, Savinelli, and Nordings at that or a little less on ebay.

State side you can get a great smoker in that range - Savinelli naturals, and Romas, as well as entry level Petersons. You should be able to find nice estate Petes, GBD, Comoy, Savinelli, and Nordings at that or a little less on ebay.

+1, Add Jobeys to that list $60 for many new ones and they are great smokers. And then there's the MM cob as others have said, a great starter pipe for just a few bucks. And (IMO) try a Cavendish tobacco to start with, Not some heavily flavored aromatic. You wont be disappointed.

The right pipe is the one that looks and feels right to you. The one that calls your name, and you want to smoke regardless of price. There have been some good recommendations as to the brands, but I'd like to add Brigham, Stanwell, Lorenzetti, Butz Choquin, and Brebbia.

Above all else , please don't buy one of those plastic pieces of crap with the metal bowl on the inside.

+1, Add Jobeys to that list $60 for many new ones and they are great smokers. And then there's the MM cob as others have said, a great starter pipe for just a few bucks. And (IMO) try a Cavendish tobacco to start with, Not some heavily flavored aromatic. You wont be disappointed.

New Jobey just doesn't smoke the same! There is something about the old threaded stem Stromboli pipes that make the new ones just seem cheapish. Same goes for GBD, great pipes but the vintage pipes are so much better.

So after some hunting around it seems that there are no cheap pipes in the country. I've found 2 BOM stores in Sydney, one is near my work so I'll try and duck over if I've time at lunch today.

The pipe that is 'speaking to me' so far is the Peterson fermoy 80s. Holy moly that thing looks good! I've found one on eBay for ~$100. Will try and see it in the flesh at a shop, but that's the top of my list so far

So after some hunting around it seems that there are no cheap pipes in the country. I've found 2 BOM stores in Sydney, one is near my work so I'll try and duck over if I've time at lunch today.

The pipe that is 'speaking to me' so far is the Peterson fermoy 80s. Holy moly that thing looks good! I've found one on eBay for ~$100. Will try and see it in the flesh at a shop, but that's the top of my list so far

I have a Kildare 80S and love the shape. One thing to consider with the Fermoy is that they're built to take a filter (I have nothing against filters).

I've been told that there is a briar shortage, and particularly, Peterson has a shortage so making a pipe to order will be unlikely. Smoke-King has a decent stock of Petersons though.

Leigh! Late, but appreciated!

So import of tobacco of a couple of tins won't attract crazy customs fees?

Ahh, didn't know that. Kildare 999 looks pretty spiffy... Thoughts?

Anywhere local you know of (I'm planning an attack on sol levy and bogarts) I can go to check out the gear in the flesh?

Last edited:
So import of tobacco of a couple of tins won't attract crazy customs fees?

No more than what you already pay over the counter - the import duty is the same: around $450 a kilo.

Anywhere local you know of (I'm planning an attack on sol levy and bogarts) I can go to check out the gear in the flesh?

Bogarts and Sol Levy are the only ones I know of in Syndey. Sol Levy is the importer for Peterson Pipes, so I'd expect them to have good stock but no the best prices (you can't go undercutting your wholesale customers in that position). Bogarts cigar prices are hysterical!

Yeah, bogarts cigars were a bit much!

I got a pipe and some baccy there today anyway :biggrin:

I have been reading through this thread and........where is the money shot of the haul?

I should quit looking in the Brown Leaf, I have five pipes in my eBay watch list. Just starting to see what the eventual sale price is so I can judge the market price on some of the pipe styles that I find attractive.

I only smoke cigars, about one a week in front of the firepit, so I was thinking that a pipe might be a more economical option...like wetshaving

I have been reading through this thread and........where is the money shot of the haul?

I should quit looking in the Brown Leaf, I have five pipes in my eBay watch list. Just starting to see what the eventual sale price is so I can judge the market price on some of the pipe styles that I find attractive.

I only smoke cigars, about one a week in front of the firepit, so I was thinking that a pipe might be a more economical option...like wetshaving
Give it up, you're already hooked. A year from now you'll be buying furniture for your prettys.

Attachments

• $pipes 005.JPG
    $pipes 005.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 67
Give it up, you're already hooked. A year from now you'll be buying furniture for your prettys.

Ooh, that's nice... do you have more smokey stuff in the drawers and cabinets below? I see stuff like this, and people's extensive shave dens and I think "nah, the future is changeable." Probably not though, this is just another goal... I wonder if the wife would mind me getting something like this for my briar, the burnt out corn cob, and the pouches of Captain Black and Carter Hall? It's like getting the baby's room set up before he's born! :)

Also- Dogs playing Poker... nice touch!!

Top Bottom