What's new

I shimmed my 34c

I put two shims under a feather blade it's still not aggressive enough for me. What should I do now? It helped a lot but I need something more aggressive.

You must have a a VERY tough beard. I assume you do at least 3 passes.

Next option: Get an adjustable razor, and open it all the way up.

And if that fails, grow a beard! :lol:

Add about 10 more shims - wide for stiffness - and remove the baseplate. That's what I did to my 23C. It will be more than aggressive enough.

Sell it,and,buy a more effective razor?.The more passes,the more irritation.I only shave every 3-4 days,and I have a barbed wire beard,and although I started off on my DE journey with a 34cHD,I soon realised it was not for me,and ended up getting RAD!,but thanks to that,I found my 'holy grail' razor.Now its just 2 passes and touch up.

Good luck!.

Last edited:
I started with a 23c, then I added shims.After buying several razors. I'm happiest with the Red Tip's. If you want a good aggressive shave look into the GEM se's.

iKon ShaveCraft Tech. IMO, more aggressive than the R41 (2011 or 2013). My most aggressive DE, other than a couple of DEvettes I own.

Todd R.

I shimmed it with two more shims so thats a total of 4 shims but still not much better. Should I go straight to the r41 or what? I would by a ATT razor or ikon. I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars for something that works and I would use about everyday.

I started with a 23c, then I added shims.After buying several razors. I'm happiest with the Red Tip's. If you want a good aggressive shave look into the GEM se's.

Have you tried a Feather blade in your 23C? I been getting some great shaves out'a that combo. Lately, I have really liked that set up more than my 34C.

Get an adjustable and forget about shimming. I have certain spots (under chin and corner of jaw) that can only be handled with a 5 setting on the third pass. I've got an R41 (now the '13 but previously the '11) and the iKon slant but nothing handles the hair quite like the Mergress.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'd try a Muhle R41 or this handsome: Double Edge Straight Razor Barbe Bleue BB Model X

$maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
The Merkur HD can be a VERY Aggressive razor if you load it right.
See here what it can do with a Derby blade.
$20150128_022630.jpg

Seriously, though ... the Feather is not a good match for that razor, no matter how much you shim it.

As others have suggested, get an Open Comb like the Muhle 41, a vintage Gillette NEW or Red Tip, or even a Slant.

Top Bottom