What's new

I shave with a cartridge razor but I use old school soap and a brush. Weird I know.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nothing wrong with what you are doing. I do the same thing when I use my cartridge razors. We also have a Modern Shaving Systems forum that caters for all things cartridge and electric. Pop over and have a look.

I guess I'm caught in between. I've tried safety razors and they don't seem to cut my whiskers down as well as a cartridge. It may be the razor or the blades I'm choosing, or even my bad technique. For whatever reason I get a closer shave with less irritation using the Gillette skin guard. But I love old school soap and shave sticks. Not sure if there are too many other people out there doing what I'm doing.
I do the same when I have to shave daily, it just works but lately I have been shaving every three to four days so the Gamechanger .68 OC has been chosen one. If it works for you then it is the right way to shave.

For sure whatever works for you. I tried shaving with old time soap and cartridges but it seemed to pull more. On the other hand, I will use canned gel or canned foam with my DE if I'm in a hurry or if I just feel like it and I find while I like the soap better, the canned stuff works just fine.

1986 or so, Gillette sold a brush. The handle was a cartridge with shave cream. there was a little rubber tube that ran to the top of the brush. You would squeeze a bit onto the brush and then face lather. At the time is was better than using any foam that I had used. But I couldn’t find a refill for a cartridge. So I got a brush, probably boar, at the drug store plus some hard soap and used the soap, brush and cartridges for 30 years before getting tired of the cost and plastic waste of cartridges and experimenting with safety razors. Unfortunately, the expense hasn’t actually decreased. But the fun has increased a lot.

I used to do that, back when I still shaved with those multi-blade things. I got a better shave, for sure. However, I suggest you try a Henson. You will forget the cartridge razor.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I guess I'm caught in between. I've tried safety razors and they don't seem to cut my whiskers down as well as a cartridge. It may be the razor or the blades I'm choosing, or even my bad technique. For whatever reason I get a closer shave with less irritation using the Gillette skin guard. But I love old school soap and shave sticks. Not sure if there are too many other people out there doing what I'm doing.
That is perfectly fine.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When Gillette added the single trim blade to their multi blade cartridges, it was a game changer for me. I had emailed them a request for an improvement to their cartridges, listing the main problem was the multiblade design made it next to impossible to shave under my nose and clean up the nostrils. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to complain.

I didn't and still don't mind shaving with the Gillette Fusion Power. I much prefer wet shaving with my Claymore Evolution, but the Fusion Power isn't horrible.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If I’m in a hurry that’s what I do in the shower. Arko stick, synthetic brush, and a Fusion.

It’s been a long while since I’ve had to do this, but as I’ve mentioned before the best thing about a cart is I can shave in the shower, lights off, with about 2-3hrs of sleep, hungover (maybe still drunk), after being at the bar all night and still look presentable for work the next morning.

I do the same thing and never considered it might be weird. luckily, I have a great paying job doing construction and I can afford the stupendous cost of $15 a year on cartridges.

Top Bottom