What's new

I shave with a cartridge razor but I use old school soap and a brush. Weird I know.

I guess I'm caught in between. I've tried safety razors and they don't seem to cut my whiskers down as well as a cartridge. It may be the razor or the blades I'm choosing, or even my bad technique. For whatever reason I get a closer shave with less irritation using the Gillette skin guard. But I love old school soap and shave sticks. Not sure if there are too many other people out there doing what I'm doing.

I shave with DE and SR razors but none beat the closeness I get with my WS/Schick Protector 3. Like you I use 'old school' soaps and creams combined with 'old school' shaving procedures (hot flannels/towels, pre shave etc...)

I started using brush and soap circa 2003 or so. I did not use a safety razor until 2016. Until then I used cartridge razors. I don't think it is uncommon. I started using a brush after reading a book from Art of Shaving. They suggested Gillette Mach 3 razors at that time, so that is what I used until the next big thing came out.

If I was going to drop one thing, I’d switch back to a Trac II. But, time and practice means I now get better, more comfy shaves from a DE. It did take a lot of time and trying many razors though.

I don't think it's weird at all. I actually think this is what would make sense for a lot of people. I know that the part of shaving that needed the most improvement was using a good soap or cream rather than aerosol goop. Just changing that would likely have resulted in less irritation and ingrown hairs.

Nothing wrong with that. If I did not notice me reacting on to many blades and lubra strips I might have stayed on carts also.

I stayed on cartridges for a year or two after getting a brush and some soap, before making the jump to a DE razor. It didn't work perfectly at first, but I got there.

The real goal is finding what works for you. If that's carts after a brush & soap lather, then rock on!

Sounds like my shower setup. I’ve switched to straight razors for face shaving but there are certain places that I still don’t trust myself to go with an SR. While not my preferred choice, carts and synths have their advantages.

F1AE39C7-A032-4369-BB5D-A9098DC5BD4F.jpeg

If it works, it works. I have to say that I use cartidges (Sensors) when I travel, along with a synthetic brush and a trvel size cream. I am always surprised that I get a DFS. I like the DE Razor better, but the cartidge works. I use the same techniques I used when I was learning to use a DE razor, and that really helps.

I always liked the shaves that I got with carts. What I didn't like about the carts was the stupendous costs. If it wasn't for that factor, I would still be using them maybe. Another thing about the carts was the speed at which I could shave. But hell, at my age one doesn't go for the speed, we go for the ride.
Yeah, what your doing is well within the norm.

I guess I'm caught in between. I've tried safety razors and they don't seem to cut my whiskers down as well as a cartridge. It may be the razor or the blades I'm choosing, or even my bad technique. For whatever reason I get a closer shave with less irritation using the Gillette skin guard. But I love old school soap and shave sticks. Not sure if there are too many other people out there doing what I'm doing.
Hardly uncommon IMO. Disposable Gillette MAch 3 type razor and all of our fancy stuff, damned good shave. If I am pressed for time.. Have the time I break out the DE razors

Another agreement with many positive comments up above .....
The only rule for a proper shave is to use what's best for you ! Enjoy !

The skin guard was a revelation. Used the Mach 3 for a while and hated it. Really uncomfortable. Used the skin guard and loved it. Used the fusion 5 and loved it. I think the Mach 3 sucks honestly. If I had to pick between soap and brush or a DE, I’d take the soap and use the skin guard. I keep it in rotation :)

Top Bottom