What's new

I seem to have fallen...

down a very deep rabbit hole.

I'm not quite sure why it happened, as I was quite content with my DE shaves for the last 6 years or so. Especially with my newest RR Lupo SS .95 but apparently I bore easily.

It started with my purchase of a Feather SS and some schick p30 AC blades. It seemed like a step backwards in shaving evolution at first but I stuck with it after some encouragement (looking at you @kingfisher ). There was something inexplicably addictive and satisfying after a few shaves with it. Before you know it, I'm ordering a GD monkey 666 from some bloke called @Slash McCoy and that's when the rabbit hole really sucked me in.

I found myself devouring countless threads pertaining to SRs, learning new terms I'd never even heard of, honing, strops, tip styles, grinds and on and on and on. A few shaves in on the Monkey and my fingers were already ordering a Ralf Aust from Germany and then later a vintage Genco and some stones to practice honing, setting bevel and progression.

I suppose this all rings a memory bell for most of you, think back to when you first got started... but I was pretty blindsided by how quickly it happened. It reminds me of when I first dived into wet shaving with DEs.

I feel much obliged to this forum and anyone who has ever posted questions or answers. Whatever question or subject came to mind, I could do an advanced search and bam!.. whole threads on the subject to work through and learn even more plus all new questions, haha.

So anyway, life is grand in the rabbit hole and I doubt I'll see boredom for quite a while.

P.S. please keep me away from Ebay. 🤫

cheers and happy shaves

I'm not quite sure why it happened, as I was quite content with my DE shaves for the last 6 years or so. Especially with my newest RR Lupo SS .95 but apparently I bore easily.

It started with my purchase of a Feather SS and some schick p30 AC blades. It seemed like a step backwards in shaving evolution at first but I stuck with it after some encouragement (looking at you @kingfisher ). There was something inexplicably addictive and satisfying after a few shaves with it. Before you know it, I'm ordering a GD monkey 666 from some bloke called @Slash McCoy and that's when the rabbit hole really sucked me in.

I found myself devouring countless threads pertaining to SRs, learning new terms I'd never even heard of, honing, strops, tip styles, grinds and on and on and on. A few shaves in on the Monkey and my fingers were already ordering a Ralf Aust from Germany and then later a vintage Genco and some stones to practice honing, setting bevel and progression.

I suppose this all rings a memory bell for most of you, think back to when you first got started... but I was pretty blindsided by how quickly it happened. It reminds me of when I first dived into wet shaving with DEs.

I feel much obliged to this forum and anyone who has ever posted questions or answers. Whatever question or subject came to mind, I could do an advanced search and bam!.. whole threads on the subject to work through and learn even more plus all new questions, haha.

So anyway, life is grand in the rabbit hole and I doubt I'll see boredom for quite a while.

cheers and happy shaves

yep too late for you.

to quote Snoop from a commercial......."down the hole........we all go."

a lot sounds familiar......I was just looking for some high grit maintenance stones originally. yeah that happened!!!

camo

Welcome! Are you okay down there?

rabbit-hole.jpg

Not sure how I started DE shaving, but that lead me here. And caused me to buy lots of aweomse stuff. Then the SR threads started catching my eye. I was reluctant and a bit nervous to try, mainly due to honing. I mentioned my interest to my wife. The next Christmas, I think it was, she got me a vintage straight with some light damage. Well...cannot let it go to waste. In the hole I went.....

cheers and happy shaves

A fascinating hobby. I started with a Dovo and cheap strop combo now I have an assortment of honing stones, various razors both vintage and new production. Several soaps in rotation also.

For me the attraction was remembering my dad taking me with him to the barber when I was a little tyke. This is like mid 70s and the shop had the spinning Barber pole out front, big red leather and chrome chairs, the hot towels and the strops etc. And the soda machine was a cooler with a lid and you put a nickel in the box on the honor system and got a big bottle of YooHoo or cream soda! Every time I use one of my straights I remember me and my dad going for a hair cut there. He’s gone now and so is that barber shop but it’s a thing that keeps me there with him in a way among all the other things we did when I was a kid.

Yup sounds a lot like me. I can see a light up ahead but I don’t know if it’s the exit or just another tunnel. After 1.5 years I still look forward to jumping out of bed to get my shave on.

Searching the old threads it becomes clear that anything you can possibly think of has already been discussed at length. The journey through the rabbit hole is quite predictable. Resistance is futile.

Last edited:

I 'limit' myself to new SRs at fair prices. And used and vintage from B/S/T. And wild vintage/restorable razors. Not much of a limit, right? But it keeps me away from auction sites and other limitless online marketplaces.

The hole is about 200 razors deep...

Some rules and restraint will probably... might... could possibly delay my hitting bottom.

I am still delving into the Gem SE, DE, and injector rabbit holes. And AutoStrops. Don't get me started! Ai yi yi!

Yup sounds a lot like me. I can see a light up ahead but I don’t know if it’s the exit or just another tunnel. After 1.5 years I still look forward to jumping out of bed to get my shave on.

Searching the old threads it becomes clear that anything you can possibly think of has already been discussed at length. The journey through the rabbit hole is quite predictable. Resistance is futile.
Everything has been asked, and we can learn plenty from reviewing. That being said, it is nice to get some personal advice and fellowship from time to time as well. So if it is 2030 and you are reading this, feel free to re-ask lol

I fell on Christmas when my wife purchased me my first SR,, which was not shave ready, been falling and sinking , still falling ever since,lol
You guys and this forum have addictive me
I want to shout out to several members who took time to explain from simply answers to complex honing and encouraging helpful info on this art

Members have tremendously help me valuable info that they did not have to take time from their schedule to respond reply
Many thanks as you know who you are
My first restore bay arrives today
What have you guys done to me,, lol
Thx all blessings

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I fell on Christmas when my wife purchased me my first SR,, which was not shave ready, been falling and sinking , still falling ever since,lol
You guys and this forum have addictive me
I want to shout out to several members who took time to explain from simply answers to complex honing and encouraging helpful info on this art

Members have tremendously help me valuable info that they did not have to take time from their schedule to respond reply
Many thanks as you know who you are
My first restore bay arrives today
What have you guys done to me,, lol
Thx all blessings

"We accept him, one of us..."
--"Freaks", 1932

Top Bottom