What's new

I received my Sheraton....Oh Oh!!!

I received my Sheraton off of Ebay. It was advertised as having no finish loss. After looking at it, there is no finish on the head. The finish has been polished off down to the brass. The handle has also been heavily polished down to the brass. The guy was right, there was no finish to be lost. He has 100 percent feedback, so I should be able to return it. After closer inspection, the end caps are missing. Live and learn, do not buy from distant photos on Ebay.

Are you OK with what you ended up with? Would you be OK plating it? It's hard to expect ebay sellers to know all the ins and outs of what us Wet Shavers know. I say if your displeased to contact the user and see if you can return it.

I would definitely contact the seller and state your grievance. See if you can come to terms, a refund, etc.

Are you OK with what you ended up with? Would you be OK plating it? It's hard to expect ebay sellers to know all the ins and outs of what us Wet Shavers know. I say if your displeased to contact the user and see if you can return it.

I am not pleased with the razor. If he said no finish loss, that is what I expected. I have contacted him. He does offer a 30 day return on all of his items. I will be out the shipping..........win some lose some.

I tend to think the seller is just not knowledgeable about razors as opposed to trying to deceive you. The finish is completely gone and you are left with pure brass which, to the untrained eye, can seem normal. The photos seem to me to tell that story though. I wouldn't have been surprised. Are those the photos that were with the original listing?

I tend to think the seller is just not knowledgeable about razors as opposed to trying to deceive you. The finish is completely gone and you are left with pure brass which, to the untrained eye, can seem normal. The photos seem to me to tell that story though. I wouldn't have been surprised. Are those the photos that were with the original listing?

The original listing had no photos. He added photos at a later date. The poor quality of the photos lead me to believe his description. He has 100 percent feedback. He may not know the difference. He does now.

If the seller doesn't understand what the finish should be then he should not use it in the description as a selling point. Send it back.

Not trying to sound harsh at all. Just FYI to anyone concerned. Any time there are two different colors in the same lighting there has to be finish loss. Unless of course there were some manufactured that way and I just don't know what I'm talking about. That's very possible.

Not trying to sound harsh at all. Just FYI to anyone concerned. Any time there are two different colors in the same lighting there has to be finish loss. Unless of course there were some manufactured that way and I just don't know what I'm talking about. That's very possible.

:lol: I am like that allt he time - never stopped me from making comments . :lol:

His recent auctions include a Rocket and a cased President... so he knows something about razors.

His recent auctions include a Rocket and a cased President... so he knows something about razors.

Thank you Insomniac. I like to think I do know a thing or two about razors.

I sold this Sheraton primarily as a shaver with display potential. Dalew I'm sorry that you are unhappy but I don't believe there is any plating loss on this razor. As for the difference in color between the head and the handle I have seen other Sheratons that looked this way and I believe that it is due primarily to age and handling over the years. When I get it back I am going to clean it up and see if that is so. I have never cleaned this razor. The razor was not sold with the intent to defraud regardless.

For everyone else's benefit, I have instructed the buyer to return it in accordance with Ebay's policy. Also I want to echo the post above about the 1937 Sheraton--it had NO endcaps! Later versions did but not the '37. Also I did have pictures with the auction from day one. I added the final four after the auction started but the first picture was there all along.

This is the first time I've ever had an issue with an auction on one of my razors and I've sold several. I did ask another collector to look at my "poor quality" pictures when this situation developed because I wanted his opinion since he is a former Gillette employee. He didn't think there was anything wrong with the razor based on what he could tell from the images but in the end he said the final decision rests with the buyer of course. That's true.

This auction and this thread have been a bit of a learning experience for me as well.

Thank you Insomniac. I like to think I do know a thing or two about razors.

I sold this Sheraton primarily as a shaver with display potential. Dalew I'm sorry that you are unhappy but I don't believe there is any plating loss on this razor. As for the difference in color between the head and the handle I have seen other Sheratons that looked this way and I believe that it is due primarily to age and handling over the years. When I get it back I am going to clean it up and see if that is so. I have never cleaned this razor. The razor was not sold with the intent to defraud regardless.

For everyone else's benefit, I have instructed the buyer to return it in accordance with Ebay's policy. Also I want to echo the post above about the 1937 Sheraton--it had NO endcaps! Later versions did but not the '37. Also I did have pictures with the auction from day one. I added the final four after the auction started but the first picture was there all along.

This is the first time I've ever had an issue with an auction on one of my razors and I've sold several. I did ask another collector to look at my "poor quality" pictures when this situation developed because I wanted his opinion since he is a former Gillette employee. He didn't think there was anything wrong with the razor based on what he could tell from the images but in the end he said the final decision rests with the buyer of course. That's true.

This auction and this thread have been a bit of a learning experience for me as well.

I am new at the razor game. If I made a mistake, I am sorry. It looks like it is polished brass to me. I have 7 other gillette golds and I am comparing the head to them. Regardless, I am sending it back today. I have a Senator and it has no end caps either.

What you said is absolutely correct. In the '30s, Gillette often used brass for the head and copper for the handle, and that is what you can see in one of the photos.

Top Bottom