What's new

I really just thought MDC was hype

I don't understand why some people say de Candre is good value as in cost per shave. When I tried it (a sample moulded into a pot, so it loads like from the jar), I think I was getting around 3 or 4 shaves per gram. I get that with Mitchell's Wool Fat.

OK, de Candre is a jar of 200g, whereas Mitchell's is only 125g. So that's 60% extra soap, and 60% extra shaves (800 instead of 500), but at 8 to 10 times the price! That netts out at 5 to 6 times more expensive per shave. If you get a shave that's 5 to 6 times better, however you personally rate them, then that's all well and good. Unfortunately, I don't.

Personally, I found it slow starting, which could (and did) lead to brush burn trying to get the lather working. Once the lather was built (which I had to start doing in a bowl to save my face), I did get very good shaves with it. However, it's just not worth the additional effort and expense, for me. I can get great shaves, easier, quicker, and at 20% of the cost, with Mitchell's. Maybe I should start calling it de CONdre :p
Obviously I lack any MDC experience, but your argument comparing to MWF makes sense for a good number of folks. However, I don’t think this can be universally applied. MWF is well known for being sensitive to varying water types, and if MDC lathers effortlessly morning better than MWF for some then it does widen the gap in cost per shave economy. The same can be true of nearly any soap I would think.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Obviously I lack any MDC experience, but your argument comparing to MWF makes sense for a good number of folks. However, I don’t think this can be universally applied. MWF is well known for being sensitive to varying water types, and if MDC lathers effortlessly morning better than MWF for some then it does widen the gap in cost per shave economy. The same can be true of nearly any soap I would think.

Oh absolutely. That may certainly negate the "quicker and easier" benefit that I personally get from Mitchell's.

Oh absolutely. That may certainly negate the "quicker and easier" benefit that I personally get from Mitchell's.
I’ll be content if the MDC performs as well or better than TABAC for my mileage. If they are equal, then it may just be a good idea to lean on the folks at Tabac to adopt a couple new scents to offer with their legendary soap formula. To be honest, if Tabac actually offered 4 more scents give or take, that cover a broad range, they would really be throwing some weight around and causing some disruption.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I’ll be content if the MDC performs as well or better than TABAC for my mileage. If they are equal, then it may just be a good idea to lean on the folks at Tabac to adopt a couple new scents to offer with their legendary soap formula. To be honest, if Tabac actually offered 4 more scents give or take, that cover a broad range, they would really be throwing some weight around and causing some disruption.

Tabac is outside of my experience. I've avoided it because folks say it stinks. Whether the stink is pleasant or not is irrelevant to me. I don't like overly smelly stuff generally, never mind smeared on my face. I'll sit back and wait for an unscented version. :)

I use MWF and MdC. Shaving is my only luxury, so I'm mainly concerned with the quality of the product. Both soaps are fantastic, but very different.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Legend has it that Fine soaps are almost identical in soap base to Tabac. That was their aim in replicating, and they come in glorious scents. L'orange noir is my personal fave. But I'd agree on the Tabac smell - really not pleasant though plenty do like it. Polarising.

I like Tabac but mostly because I associate the smell with the great quality of the lather and comfortable shave I get with it. My wife like the smell, more than I do. I like it well enough to get the matching aftershave.

My MDC soaps arrived today. I did a quick lather and shave late this evening with the FOUGÈRE tub. The scent on this I am not as excited about as I wanted to be. I want to get a few more uses in with it before I form an opinion. I don’t dislike it, but it’s note exactly what I expected. I was very pleased to see how easily this loaded and lathered. It also took plenty of water without thinning out and being a waste. My shave was just one quick pass. Not enough to give me a strong opinion of the soap qualities for slickness and post shave. Thus far, I anticipate it will rank even with Tabac but the MDC soaps will differ by having broadly accepted scents.

I like Tabac but mostly because I associate the smell with the great quality of the lather and comfortable shave I get with it. My wife like the smell, more than I do. I like it well enough to get the matching aftershave.

My MDC soaps arrived today. I did a quick lather and shave late this evening with the FOUGÈRE tub. The scent on this I am not as excited about as I wanted to be. I want to get a few more uses in with it before I form an opinion. I don’t dislike it, but it’s note exactly what I expected. I was very pleased to see how easily this loaded and lathered. It also took plenty of water without thinning out and being a waste. My shave was just one quick pass. Not enough to give me a strong opinion of the soap qualities for slickness and post shave. Thus far, I anticipate it will rank even with Tabac but the MDC soaps will differ by having broadly accepted scents.

I'm not a huge fan of the Fougère scent either. I much prefer the scent of the Original, which isn't quite so dark and earthy, but clean and fresh instead, kind of like a lemon peel.

I'm not a huge fan of the Fougère scent either. I much prefer the scent of the Original, which isn't quite so dark and earthy, but clean and fresh instead, kind of like a lemon peel.
I was interested in the original but I also ordered the AGRUMES at the same time and wanted to avoid scents that might be too similar. Especially with the knowledge this soap will be lasting me years, added to my existing inventory.

The FOUGÈRE was a good smell but I detect something in the profile that makes the scent finish a little harsh to my nose. That’s my impression off the puck. I didn’t really notice it once lathered but that might be due to other factors. It did pair nicely with the RR green label aftershave, thankfully.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
The Fougere wasn’t an instant love affair for me either, I’ll be honest. When I first opened the jar, my expression was one of confusion - this was what people were raving about?

Took a week or so’s worth of shaves for me to get used to the scent. It’s a rather non-intrusive, subtle scent that you either get used to and love, or just don’t get along with, I think. I do leave the jar open all day long though, so I get a whiff of it whenever I use the bathroom. That dulled the initial ‘spicy’ scent quite quickly for me.

That's because the ingredients in MDC are very simple. It's more or less 75% vegetable stearic acid, 25% coconut oil mixed with potassium hydroxide. It also contains water, glycerin and fragrance, and that's all. That makes a very soft soft like a 3P. The MDC is then aged and cured for several months to remove a lot of the moisture; that makes it more dense and firm. It's packed in a classy glass jar and sold for a high-end price.

There are many artisan soaps on the market that use a very similar recipe, maybe with a few added ingredients to improve post-shave feel, like shea butter, jojoba oil, etc. They contain more water than MDC and have simpler packaging. There is no real secret in making a soap similar to MDC.
Pre De Provence and 63 are both triple milled soaps
They are no better or worse than MDC.They have the same formula and longevity.They are cheaper!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Pre De Provence and 63 are both triple milled soaps
They are no better or worse than MDC.They have the same formula and longevity.They are cheaper!
Quad-milled, supposedly. I have both PdP Original and #63. The ingredients are not the same formula as MdC, though.

INGREDIENTS: Potasium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Palm Kernel Acid, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii), Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Eti Dronate, Rosemary Extract, Sunflower Extract, Seed Oil, Citronellol, Coumarin, D, Limonene, Eugenol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

As much as I likeMDC, please dont treat it as sacred! It's meant to last a year according to some, yes, maybe if you use it twice a week! Be generous with it, don't skimp on loading and it will be a very fine soap. However, other soaps will do the same.
I've only bought the rose, and for me, the scent is so natural and best of any soaps .

The Fougere wasn’t an instant love affair for me either, I’ll be honest. When I first opened the jar, my expression was one of confusion - this was what people were raving about?

Took a week or so’s worth of shaves for me to get used to the scent. It’s a rather non-intrusive, subtle scent that you either get used to and love, or just don’t get along with, I think. I do leave the jar open all day long though, so I get a whiff of it whenever I use the bathroom. That dulled the initial ‘spicy’ scent quite quickly for me.
That’s about what I am expecting from the scent profile. So many of my soaps are high scent strength artisan soaps and I really like them. However someone made the point of trying to stick with just one of those soaps as a daily driver for a month and that you’ll grow sick of it in a week or so. I think that’s largely true. A soap with a milder, unintrusive scent like MDC and many others are balanced and won’t have that effect.

Took a week or so’s worth of shaves for me to get used to the scent.

This. I'm working through a sample. At first, what?? Now, after a few shaves, I think it's fine and I would be happy with it long term. I still like Rose better, though.

A little over a week after receiving my first two jars of MDC, I have 5 shaves in with it. 2 AGRUMES and 3 with FOUGÈRE. AGRUMES is growing on me a little more at this point.

Things I like about MDC at this point.
- Ease of lather is excellent, I liken it to the ease of Tabac.
- Water tolerance and how thirsty the soap is when lathering. I’m quite pleased that it wants as much water as it does. I feel this give more range and flexibility to dial this soap into either its best potential or to meet my preferences.
- Economy (perceived) it does appear that it will take a long time to put a dent in these jars, indicating to me that the cost per shave is actually reasonable, therefore being a hard soap it has shelf life and longevity to rely on. I can look forward to enjoying these soaps in my rotation For years to come.
- Lather qualities, I feel this is a medium density lather with a bit more volume than I expected. Volume is close to, but a little less than I get with Tabac. Overall good. The lather meets my expectations for slickness, not blowing my mind, but it’s better than a good number if soaps I’ve tried.

Where has MDC fallen short in my first few shaves:
- Fragrance is not quite what I was expecting from either AGRUMES or FOUGÈRE. To be fair, the use of essential oils instead of fragrance oils in my view is a quality statement from MDC, which I can respect and I understand that this produces a different scent experience. This is not a failing or a con of the product, just my opinion based on my uneducated expectations for a blind product purchase. In short, these scents don’t excite me. I do think this is a plus in a scenario where MDC is your one and only or a true daily shave soap. It’s not too strong nor are the scents offensive. This product isn’t about the scents, it’s about the soap.
- Post shave, in my opinion, I would not use MDC and rely on the post shave feel to be enough for my skin. I absolutely feel it is necessary to use a post shave product. I have other soaps that leave my skin feeling better than MDC in post shave. That being said, it’s not harsh or skin tightening in post shave. It’s ok, it just leaves me desiring a little better. I think this is another instance is falls short of Tabac, but just a little.

I received my first SV soap in the same order as my MDC. I have only used the SV once, but I must admit, my initial impression of SV is very good and maybe better than the MDC. I would like to get a few more shaves in with the SV before I settle on a conclusion.

would I recommend MDC to anyone. Possibly, but it would be dependent upon why I would recommend to someone. Looking for a soap that will be straightforward and easy to use, neutral or mild enough scents, long lasting, reasonable cost per shave, yes. Looking for a soap that is exciting with a great scent, or delivers top of the line slickness or post shave, not likely.

Top Bottom