What's new

I really just thought MDC was hype

MdC is a nice clean soap that feels really natural on the skin for me. I still have yet to really dial it in since I’ve only shaved with it 3 whole times. Even when my lather has not been quite right, my shave still went OK with zero irritation or blood. I can’t say the same for the other soaps in my rotation which all have their own requirements, so to speak.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
MdC is a nice clean soap that feels really natural on the skin for me. I still have yet to really dial it in since I’ve only shaved with it 3 whole times. Even when my lather has not been quite right, my shave still went OK with zero irritation or blood. I can’t say the same for the other soaps in my rotation which all have their own requirements, so to speak.

Give the brush a good loading, don’t believe the YT blather.

Here’s something that might help you feel out how MdC lathers. Load the brush so that it’s a little bit dry. Lather on your face to get your skin covered, then start dribbling a little water into the knot and working the lather. Keep adding water and at one point, pretty quickly, you’ll notice the lather ‘loosen up’ and become very slick. That’s where you want to be.

Give the brush a good loading, don’t believe the YT blather.

Here’s something that might help you feel out how MdC lathers. Load the brush so that it’s a little bit dry. Lather on your face to get your skin covered, then start dribbling a little water into the knot and working the lather. Keep adding water and at one point, pretty quickly, you’ll notice the lather ‘loosen up’ and become very slick. That’s where you want to be.

I agree reg the YT blather, 10 swirls will make a lather that looks alright yet is very airy and not very protective. Still experimenting with the wetness of the brush during loading though, I will try as you say. Thanks!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tip: it really likes a more normal loading and good hydration. Don’t believe the YT blather like ‘I used 3 swirls and got enough lather for 10 passes!’.

I play with how little I can use. It's actually kinda amazing how little will work for me. My guess is the water in my house is perfect for MdC or something like that. I can almost load it without touching the puck compared to "normal loading." Maybe three seconds of loading. Seriously.

I think it an excellent soap with an excellent scent and excellent performance as a shaving soap. On the other hand, Vitos Extra Super is also an excellent soap with excellent performance as a shaving soap. Vitos has no significant scent and cost a mere fraction of the price of MdC. However, I still think of MdC as a good value considering how much I like it and how long a puck lasts.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have never tried MDC so far.
Could 3P shaving soaps blocks be on par with MDC?
Some gents in this forum indicated that 3P and MDC almost have the same ingredients.
Thanks for your inputs.

I've the Rose and think this is the best scent of any soap. Very natural and fresh. It is a very hard soap which doesn't seem to absorb water after loading and I think this may be why it lasts so long.HOWEVER, I don't think it's anymore long lasting than a lot of soaps I use. Remember, for a hard soap, you get 200g.....more than mist others. Forme Meißner Tremmona hard pucks are also very solid and 100g puck lasts a few months. Woolfat also lasts ages.

I have never tried MDC so far.
Could 3P shaving soaps blocks be on par with MDC?
Some gents in this forum indicated that 3P and MDC almost have the same ingredients.
Thanks for your inputs.
That's because the ingredients in MDC are very simple. It's more or less 75% vegetable stearic acid, 25% coconut oil mixed with potassium hydroxide. It also contains water, glycerin and fragrance, and that's all. That makes a very soft soft like a 3P. The MDC is then aged and cured for several months to remove a lot of the moisture; that makes it more dense and firm. It's packed in a classy glass jar and sold for a high-end price.

There are many artisan soaps on the market that use a very similar recipe, maybe with a few added ingredients to improve post-shave feel, like shea butter, jojoba oil, etc. They contain more water than MDC and have simpler packaging. There is no real secret in making a soap similar to MDC.

Last edited:
MdC is one soap where the high praises people sing are well-deserved. It is a top-shelf soap. I use it regularly.
IMG_2484.jpg

I have other shaving soaps that I relegate to shower use, but MdC is the only soap I actually shave with anymore - it's that good. The relatively subtle scents are a nice change from the olfactory sucker-punch that I get from most other soaps. I'm 98% sure that shaving soaps from days of yore weren't scented very strongly, and I appreciate MdC keeping it old-fashioned.

Top Bottom