What's new

I really have come a long way ... easier BBS ... Only took 10 years lol

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
So this is interesting to me, especially since a newer member started a thread on whether technique "mattered" as much as finding the right razor/blade combo. :rolleyes:

So, I've been wetshaving for 30 years (soap and brush) but DE shaving (as in giving up carts) for about 10 years. Lately, I've been posting about getting an "accidental BBS" while shaving, meaning, I wasn't "trying" for a BBS, or spending the normal, careful 30 minutes it used to take for me to get one. I have been getting DFS results for a loooong time, and my standards for BBS may be higher than for some, I suspect. So if I stumbled into a BBS in just a few minutes more than a normal everyday shave, I'd taken to calling it accidental, and suggesting the equipment was the hero. Razor, blade, soap, whatever. If I got a BBS and wasn't expecting one, I'd be like, "Wow! That just happened!" But I never attributed it to me, per se, but to whatever I had just changed up in the shaving hardware/software mix.

But interestingly, after a 5 year hiatus of using just a Merkur 34C and just 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades. Daily. For five years. I bought several razors, a blade sampler, started buying vintage blades, and collecting lather products. New to me, Gillette Fat-Handle Tech, 1940's Super Speed, 1950's Flare Tip, two Schick Injectors, a FatBoy ... and a sampler of a dozen new blades. And Mitchell's Wool Fat, Stirling, Haslinger, PdP, B&M, Cella Extra Extra Bio, RR Santa Maria del Fiore, a new synthetic brush, mixing it all up ...

So, I had to start focusing on my shaves to discover what I liked, didn't like, and that "being present" in my shaves has really paid off, apparently. After about a half dozen of what I labeled "Accidental BBS" shaves in the daily shave thread, over the last 2-3 weeks, it finally dawned on me, they are no longer accidental, I'm just getting good at this! I mean REALLY good at this! :c2:

So, today, after a week of shaves with a Gillette Spoiler in a FatBoy, I decided to switch to my new, new favorite thing, an E-type Schick with a Chick blade, a razor I'd used for a week only once maybe a month earlier. Grabbed a soap that was PIF'd to me by @Pressroll (thanks, buddy!) that I was using for only the second time, did a workmanlike shave (not too long, I was trying to get to work), and dayum if I did not get a BBS! In 15 minutes. Without really thinking about it.

So, as a proselytizer for new DE shavers locking things down with a vengeance (I still believe that, BTW), I think the best thing you can do to up your game after a few years at this is to CHANGE EVERYTHING! All of it. Razor, blades, brushes, soaps/creams, throw all of it into the hopper, but try to use a razor/blade combo until the blade is done. Use a soap a few days at a time. But change literally everything in your shave, a lot, and concentrate on the shave for several months.

You'll come out getting near-BBS or BBS, no irritation shave that blow your mind more an more often wondering where they came from ... until it hits you. You've arrived! You are now a shaving Ninja. Use any tool, any software, and you're not Grasshopper any more, you are the master.

It's pretty darn cool, I tell you. Very cool.

2021-10-22_Shave.jpg

Last edited:
Injectors are truly amazing, aren't they? I like all of my DE, GEM style and injector razors, but with the latter I achieve the same level of BBS like with the rest, but much faster, easier and the overall shaving experience is much more comfortable and enjoyable.

You should also try the any of the Schick adjustable M types. I like mine more than my type E and I think the main reason for that is the I find the handle of the type M to be more comftable. Or perhaps it's because of the head design, who knows?

The only thing that people concider better is the shaving with an AC blade style razor like the Blackland Vector, Razorock Hawk etc.

I can completely relate to BBS just happening. I feel like I’ve learned enough technique to be consistent but, despite my best efforts, sometimes it just isn’t meant to be. And other times…bam! BBS.

I’m also a big fan of injectors. I’ve tried a Schick M1, J2, and Parker Adjustable so far and like them all. I was to try a few of the earlier ones as well as the Pals and Supply. You know, basically all of them. 😜

I auctioned away my M type Schick. I hated every blade that I tried in them, Chicks, Personna and Schick B-20 Japanese blades. Every blade felt like I was scraping a rusty tin can lid across my skin. I am jealous of you gentlemen who can shave with them. I get the same sensation when shaving with an Astra SP blade but the injector blades are even worse.

To the OP, I recently went on a spree of using a lot of different razors. Using one for a day or two then using a different one. Like you it really improved my shaving skills and it was fun! I think it caused me to focus more on my technique. I highly recommend it.

I auctioned away my M type Schick. I hated every blade that I tried in them, Chicks, Personna and Schick B-20 Japanese blades. Every blade felt like I was scraping a rusty tin can lid across my skin. I am jealous of you gentlemen who can shave with them. I get the same sensation when shaving with an Astra SP blade but the injector blades are even worse.

To the OP, I recently went on a spree of using a lot of different razors. Using one for a day or two then using a different one. Like you it really improved my shaving skills and it was fun! I think it caused me to focus more on my technique. I highly recommend it.

I always tell people not to waste their time with a razor/blade or whatever they don't like. If you can't achieve good results even after trying new blades, different angle, pressure etc. there's really no need for you to keep it around. I usually know if a razor is good or not from the very first shave. In some cases it takes some time like it took me a while to perfect my technique with my Fatip Grande, but most of the time the results are just disappointing even after trying again and again for months and I have to get rid of the razor.

Some people will say something like - well it's not the razor's fault, it's your technique and bla bla bla, because they think that if they can get a great shave then everyone else should be able to, but it's not always about the technique alone. If that was the case, then most of us would be using pretty much the same razors and blades and there wouldn't be a need for the manufacturers to keep making all kinds of new blades or razors all the time with different efficiency and comfort.

I always tell people not to waste their time with a razor/blade or whatever they don't like. If you can't achieve good results even after trying new blades, different angle, pressure etc. there's really no need for you to keep it around. I usually know if a razor is good or not from the very first shave. In some cases it takes some time like it took me a while to perfect my technique with my Fatip Grande, but most of the time the results are just disappointing even after trying again and again for months and I have to get rid of the razor.

Some people will say something like - well it's not the razor's fault, it's your technique and bla bla bla, because they think that if they can get a great shave then everyone else should be able to, but it's not always about the technique alone. If that was the case, then most of us would be using pretty much the same razors and blades and there wouldn't be a need for the manufacturers to keep making all kinds of new blades or razors all the time with different efficiency and comfort.
I agree with you for the most part. Sometimes first shaves are not all that great but like with your Fatip more uses can improve your experience. I didn't care for the Winning razor my first couple of shaves with it but it is my absolute favorite razor now. In the case of Injector razors, I am sensitive to the feel of certain blades and there isn't anything that I can do about it. You do need to know when a piece of your gear will never work for you.

That’s a bummer but hey, you gave it a solid try. I definitely had to work at it to get a good result so I can’t claim it’s easy but then again DEs can be a bear sometimes as well. I’m kind of in the same boat right now with GEMs. I want to like them and enjoy the shaves but have had no luck thus far. I’ll keep trying once a week or so to see if it clicks but maybe it never will. I think, like you, I’d be happy to just call it quits with GEMs and move on.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Congrats! Its always feels good to really nail something. Rock on, Shave Fu Master!

My epiphany came when I realized that BBS just isn't worth the trouble to me. I have very light skin and very dark hair, which means no matter how BBS I got my shave, I always had a shadow anyway. I achieved some truly immaculate shaves, but beyond my own face-trabation enjoyment, I don't think anyone else noticed. BBS also increased my propensity for ingrown hairs, maybe because my skin is on the oily side. And believe me, having a wonderfully cue ball-level shorn face covered in red bumps kind of defeats the purpose. So no more BBS for me.

One of the easiest BBS shaves I had was with an injector and a shave stick. I couldn't believe shaving could be that easy and yet it was. So of course, in the interests of maintaining my quest for the 'perfect DE shave', I stopped using that combo. :lol::lol::lol:

marty

I totally feel ya, I've had two long stretches of using the same razor. First was my long handle Merkur, and this last go around has been the Muhle R89(?) I totally agree that switching things up so you can focus on the shave makes for some great shaves.

For me I'm finding that the razor doesn't matter as much for me, but rather something with some severe blade exposure and taking it nice and slow.

I switch too, using Gillette Tech, RR Sloc, Muhle R89, RR Black Hawk, and 3 Schick injector razors: I2, J1 en G2. Nearly all give me the same result each time, while I rotate between blades and soaps as well..... I do notice that if I use the same combination several days in a row, it does get easier and more natural than right after switching. With the injector, I only use Schick blades though, never could get along with the Personna blades.

So, I've been wetshaving for 30 years (soap and brush) but DE shaving (as in giving up carts) for about 10 years. Lately, I've been posting about getting an "accidental BBS" while shaving, meaning, I wasn't "trying" for a BBS...over the last 2-3 weeks, it finally dawned on me, they are no longer accidental, I'm just getting good at this! I mean REALLY good at this!

Around six years into my journey...and I'm not there quite yet. But often it is the journey where the fun is to be found -- right now I'm still enjoying the ride.

I guess I'll see you in BBS Lala Land in a couple of years. In the meantime, let the cases of irritated face continue. :blushing:

There are all kinds of theories about how to get a perfect shave.

They all are correct . . . to some people. None are correct to all persons.

So what does that tell us? Personal experimentation is the key to shaving success.
Agree! Was given a Parker 91R as a gift, which was on my wish list. Put in a Wilkinson Sword(G), and it was like-OMG! Could not believe how easy to get DFS++, with only 1 pass, which is all I do, with clean ups. Tried different blades, like the Gillette Platinum-really close, but no cigar. Used a Vokshod yesterday, and had to do 2 passes. Even a Feather is only good for me for 3 shaves. They don't seem to hold their edge. And I really don't think I have a tough beard. I can get 5-6 out of the Wilkie. So, I am using up my stash of blades, and will make a 100 blade purchase of the Wilkies in the spring. Son in law is interested in DE shaving, so I might give him a tuck or 2 of my current inventory.

Top Bottom