What's new

I realized I've achieved contentment

I’m on board with the OP. This site certainly promotes a materialistic lifestyl. It’s about the shaves for me, not the stuff. I have 1 synthetic brush, 1 Marvy mug, 1 razor, box of Persona blades and 1 use 1 soap at a time until it’s gone, usually Arko, Tabac or Cella. I can’t imagine nor desire anymore,I’m content.

Sadly I’ve found a soap I could shave with daily: Fine fresh vetiver in the Tabac base. But it’s been discontinued and I only have a limited stockpile.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have a habit of using most often those products which I like the least so as to use them up, and keep my favourites for a special occasion. As a result for much of the time I am wearing a scent which I do not care for while my favourites gather dust on the shelf. Eventually I will run out of time and my descendants will donate my favourites to the thrift shop without a second thought. Maybe I acquired some of my vintage favourites that way - kept for years by some gentleman waiting for a special occasion that never came. It is time for me to realise that every day is a special occasion and start using my favourites - the thrift shop can have the products I don't like 👍
Such wisdom and truth in this post.

I have a habit of using most often those products which I like the least so as to use them up, and keep my favourites for a special occasion. As a result for much of the time I am wearing a scent which I do not care for while my favourites gather dust on the shelf. Eventually I will run out of time and my descendants will donate my favourites to the thrift shop without a second thought. Maybe I acquired some of my vintage favourites that way - kept for years by some gentleman waiting for a special occasion that never came. It is time for me to realise that every day is a special occasion and start using my favourites - the thrift shop can have the products I don't like 👍
I really appreciated this response--because I do the same thing. Ever since you shared this, I've started using my favorites more and am OK with knowing my "good but not great" soaps will take longer to use up. As I took stock of how long I've owned certain soaps, I realized one of my favorites is 3 years old and still has like 75% in the tin!

I keep wanting to buy more William's Mug Soap. I'm afraid I'll outlast 24 1/2 pucks. The rumor is they are being discontinued. (That's always the rumor).
In case this helps estimate, I used to squeeze one small pure badger's worth of water onto the cake and lather from there. With daily shaves, 2-2 1/2 cakes would last me a year.

This has been me EXACTLY! Always feel like I'm "saving" my favorites, and use things I don't like as much to prolong the good stuff. Through the pandemic, I started to change that. I sold, PIF'd, traded etc. most everything that I didn't really like, or just sort of liked, even got a few backups of ones I really love, and have found contentment (mostly!) I know exactly what I like, and no longer feel the need to chase every new thing.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I now only have what I love, all else is gone. I’m 65! Vintage blades? Almost 200. Buy SV? Why not? Except I’m in GRUME for a bit. But soon I will have only that which I love. Life is too short for anything else in this hobby.

Except for $200 razors.that’s just nuts! 😂

Even though I'm mostly minimalist in my shaving approach, I occasionally get tempted by shiny things. I was going to back the Supply Kickstarter for their new injectors, but I thought about it some more and realized that a) I didn't really love the injectors I owned in the past; b) I pretty much have the products I need and like; and c) I really need to not impulse-buy anything, not just shaving stuff.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Even though I'm mostly minimalist in my shaving approach, I occasionally get tempted by shiny things. I was going to back the Supply Kickstarter for their new injectors, but I thought about it some more and realized that a) I didn't really love the injectors I owned in the past; b) I pretty much have the products I need and like; and c) I really need to not impulse-buy anything, not just shaving stuff.
This is definitely something I need to do. I am not in the best of health, and even if I were, one's life can (does, oftentimes!) end in a moment.

My wife and others should not have to throw out my trash just because I'm too lazy to do it.

Good thread, it got me thinking. I'm basically out of the razor collecting game. Brushes, too. Some blades work a little better than others for me, but most are good enough. Basically, I found a razor and a way of shaving with it that works far better for me than anything else I've tried. It may well be that a $200+ razor might be even better, but I have a habit of dropping things and banging them up, if not losing them altogether, so I'm not one for expensive little accessories. But I'm not against trying a new soap every now and then. So maybe it's good for me that Haslinger, Tabac and Speick suddenly changed their formulas. That keeps me on my toes and reading the posts here.

Great plan! I think I have been doing this lately. Time for a paradigm shift!

Top Bottom