What's new

I quit using shampoos

Yes, but my statement was not well written. I have been using real soap to shower with (body wash) for some years and have always wanted to try the Savon for that purpose.

In that same vein I want to stop using liquid shampoo and use something more traditional and hopefully better. I don't mind using separate products (separate soap bars) for the hair and body, but if just one can work well then that would be even better.

After some quick exploring I think there will be a lot more variety of bath soaps as compared to shampoo bars so that may a reason to use both. (I picked up a PdP No. 63 Men's Cube Soap & a Speick Bar Soap in my most recent order but have used either yet).

I am happy to keep shaving completely out of the shampoo+body bar equation but I may try some inexpensive hard pucks (such as Williams) or the one mentioned above to see if that might work as a 3-in-1 soap for short time periods, like when one is away from home for a few days and wants to pack light.
The PdP #63 is a very good soap, but the scent is too strong for me. I have the Speick bar soap and like it a lot as I do most of Speick's products, the main exception being their body/hair washes I tried a few years ago.

I can see using Williams as a 3-in-1 for "short" periods of time. In fact, I just shaved with Williams this morning and as much as I want to like and use this soap I don't see it being a regular soap for me. Others love it and God bless'm!

Good luck on your quest, it seems like you are on the right track.

I forgot to mention that though my experience with the savon soap for the hair was not to my liking, it’s use as a body soap is superb! This type of soap is very good for my skin.

Cheers!

long before I started shaving my head I quit using shampoos. Since I kept it short, the ring of hair remaining around my noggin required only rinsing.

One of the advantages of a shampoo bar is ease of traveling - especially getting through airports. You generally don’t have to put a hard soap in a clear bag and keep it under 3 ounces.

Ok, we have shaving, showering and shampooing figured out. Does anyone know of a tooth paste bar? I’m only kidding, sort of ...

I also stopped using shampoo on my hair several months ago when I read an article which pointed out the obvious....your body secretes its own natural oils for your hair. When you remove those oils with shampoo or soap, you have to replace with conditioners. No conditioners I tried had as good an effect as just massaging my hair under hot water in the shower and towel drying. Hair is fuller, more manageable and basically in better shape than it's been in a long time.

Curly Girl is one book that helped propogate more recently, the no shampoo method. Its a good read if anyone wants to better understand hair growth and how the variations work on a no shampoo maintenance method.

Curly Girl is one book that helped propogate more recently, the no shampoo method. Its a good read if anyone wants to better understand hair growth and how the variations work on a no shampoo maintenance method.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Interesting topic. I'm now officially paranoid about using shampoo after reading this thread.

I found this list of common chemicals in shampoos from bellatory.com:

Common Detergents Used in Shampoo:
  • Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate—very harsh
  • Ammonium Laureth Sulfate—harsh
  • Sodium Lauryl Sulfate—slightly less harsh
  • Sodium Laureth Sulfate—mild
  • TEA or MEA Lauryl Sulfate—gentle
  • TEA or MEA Laureth Sulfate—gentle
The idea is to try and fine shampoos that have the mild chemicals. Its not easy obviously. Most of the shampoos on the market are loaded with noxious chemicals that can lead to problems such as skin irritation and hair loss.

The site rates Tresemme Moisture Shampoo with Vitamin E and Garnier Fructis Fortifying 2 in 1 as two shampoos that have some of the less harsh chemicals. The shampoos to look for are the ones that contain the gentle detergents TEA or MEA Lauryl Sulfate and TEA or MEA Laureth Sulfate

Don't think the image was showing properly on my reply.
proxy.php

Top Bottom