What's new

I Ordered Another Razor...Again... Merkur Futur Adjustable Razor!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I've got a gold one. The reason I wanted gold is that the Chinese copiers don't have a clone of that as far as I know. It's a great razor.

Which is just another reason why I don't buy razors from Ebay. I bought mine from New England Shaving, which is an authorized dealer for several brands of razors. I seriously doubt a Chinese copy, would find its way to a dealer website.

While I appreciate gold razors, enough to googly eye over them, and give people hearted likes, gold is not really me you know? I just don't do gold anything. And while I do appreciate the polished chrome razors, and would love to have one, and could have easily gotten the chrome polished version, I would never be able to keep its original polished look.

You have to keep a razor SUPER clean, in order to maintain that polished brand new look. Some people have a can of chrome polish cleaner just for those reasons. Otherwise, its a finger print magnet, and always looking dirty even though you cleaned it, you can't even stop dust particles from landing on it!

I remember back when I was in school, I worked in our school cafeteria for the work experience program. They had me polishing all the stainless steel food tables, using that stainless steel polish stuff. Its amazing how much work is put in to keep stuff polished! So ya, for my sanity sake, I just chose satin matte chrome. Life will be easier for me that way lol.

Which is just another reason why I don't buy razors from Ebay. I bought mine from New England Shaving, which is an authorized dealer for several brands of razors. I seriously doubt a Chinese copy, would find its way to a dealer website.

While I appreciate gold razors, enough to googly eye over them, and give people hearted likes, gold is not really me you know? I just don't do gold anything. And while I do appreciate the polished chrome razors, and would love to have one, and could have easily gotten the chrome polished version, I would never be able to keep its original polished look.

You have to keep a razor SUPER clean, in order to maintain that polished brand new look. Some people have a can of chrome polish cleaner just for those reasons. Otherwise, its a finger print magnet, and always looking dirty even though you cleaned it, you can't even stop dust particles from landing on it!

I remember back when I was in school, I worked in our school cafeteria for the work experience program. They had me polishing all the stainless steel food tables, using that stainless steel polish stuff. Its amazing how much work is put in to keep stuff polished! So ya, for my sanity sake, I just chose satin matte chrome. Life will be easier for me that way lol.
I think you make a sensible choice.

Merkur Futur Adjustable Razor In Matte Chrome
View attachment 1446330

I just couldn't help it guys! I have always wanted this razor since I first saw it, and ended up going with a Rex Ambassador instead. There are things about the Merkur Futur that call to me...

(1) Easy snap on/off top cap for easy blade removal and install!
(2) Infinite Adjustment Levels 1 through 6, just like the Rex!
(3) The Sexy Handle & Futuristic Design!
(4) Made In Germany, Need I Say More?

OK, I promise this is the last one. Why are you all giving me that look like you don't believe me? :letterk1:

Alright, so this was another purchase from New England Shaving because they treat me right. And, there was no way I was going to pay 80 for this on Amazon! With a 10% discount from being a previous customer, as they are who I bought the Rex Ambassador from, I got this with free shipping for 61 dollars out the door. I think I did good on this order. I can't wait to try it out. I am going to call it my Star Trek razor, cause it makes me think of Star Trek lol!

Alright, I want all you Merkur Futur owners to post pictures of your razors here, lets all have a Merkur Futur shaving party woohoo! 😁
Late to your thread!!
Couldn't control yourself huh?
Good for you!
Perfect representation of a true B&B'r!
Reckless razor buying, hahaha
You'll probably beat me trying it out since I won't have a chance till Monday.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Late to your thread!!
Couldn't control yourself huh?
Good for you!
Perfect representation of a true B&B'r!
Reckless razor buying, hahaha
You'll probably beat me trying it out since I won't have a chance till Monday.

Not necessarily, Monday is when my new razor arrives! Its also when a couple of other things I have kept secret arrive too. And knowing how a lot of you shave super early in the morning, chances are, your SOTD post will come flying in with those amazing wings of yours, before my package has arrived lol.

Yep, I'd like to think that I am a true B&B'r, one of those ways, I can't stop posting and reading, I love it here lol. And, I am always buy more, must have more, its a funny obsession I must say. But, at least its one of those addictions that doesn't hurt anyone else. The only thing it hurts is my pocket book, which is emptier now these days I find.

As soon as the money goes in, it comes back out just as quickly, and I be like, oh thats funny, where did the money go? I know I had a 20 in there yesterday! Ohhhh, thats right, I spent it on another soap lol. I am like Oddball in Kelly's hero's. We like to be able to get back out of trouble as quickly as we got into it lol. Only its with money, money goes in quickly, money comes back out just as quickly.

WOOF WOOF

proxy.php

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker sorry for the late reply. I’ve had an evil cold for the last week and have barely been online since Wednesday. I love the Proraso aftershave lotion and that bottle has dwindled considerably since that photo was taken. It’s one of my favourites to use in the summer months especially when paired with the eucalyptus & menthol soap or cream. I agree with your points about heavier weighted razors too.
Hope you enjoy the Futur!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker sorry for the late reply. I’ve had an evil cold for the last week and have barely been online since Wednesday. I love the Proraso aftershave lotion and that bottle has dwindled considerably since that photo was taken. It’s one of my favourites to use in the summer months especially when paired with the eucalyptus & menthol soap or cream. I agree with your points about heavier weighted razors too.
Hope you enjoy the Futur!

I wish you a speedy recovery my friend. So that you go from this... 🤒 To this... :)

Also, for summer time, I want to get heavily into Stirling glacial lemon chill products.

Well, I got to use the Futur tonight for the first time. I used it with a Bic blade! Here are my thoughts on the razor:

1. Beautiful looking razor, it's heavy and the head is large. Scary large! When I saw the blade gap, I cringed.
I studied the razor before doing anything. I recommend that you do the same. This razor is unlike anything else I've tried. I carefully removed the cap and put the cap upside down on the countertop, dropped in the blade on the cap and snapped the handle onto the cap. (I followed recommended advice from B&B). As long as you do it this way and always hold the side of the head when handling it, you wont cut yourself. Now with the blade installed, it looked even scarier, LOL!!
The cap snap system it has for blade changes is fantastic and the adjustable mechanism is really nice!
Another nice thing is the handle. I had zero issues of possible slippage which I also read about.
It feels solid and you can tell that it's built really well!

2. I started out using the #1 setting for my test shave. The Futur gives aggressiveness a new meaning! Let me repeat that and underline it. Matter of fact, let me underline it and put it in bold. Better yet, I'll also include it with a bigger font:
The Futur gives aggressiveness a new meaning!
This razor at least for now requires concentration. And mind you I only used it on the lowest setting. I won't dare to go higher until I get more practice with it. It's not a "first time pick up and go razor". All my other razors have been but not this one. And I've used two other adjustables! My Pearl flexi on a high setting is nowhere near the Futur's lowest setting. Same applies when comparing it to the Parker Variant. Luckily I've discovered that I like aggressive razors so this one completely fits the bill. I can't stress enough though that this razor doesn't feel or shave like the others and it requires a different approach in technique. I don't believe that the head does any of the work. This is all blade!! Lots of feedback which is great!
I've never used a straight razor but this is probably the closest result to a straight razor from a DE.
No way it should carry the "Safety razor" classification, LOL!!
This is a razor that definitely requires Zero Pressure when shaving. The big head and heavy weight will totally do that part of the work for you.

In the end I did my usual 2 pass shave. I did it slowly and making sure that I didn't apply any pressure and I ended up with a nice and comfortable close shave with no weepers or nicks.
All in all I really like it for now and will continue using it daily for the whole week!
Little by little I'll try a higher setting and see how it goes. If I like it long-term , I'll put it in my razor rotation.
Anyways, that was my day 1 experience and I think that it went pretty well considering all the weird stuff I've read about the Futur. Hope this helps!
LRod🙂

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Well, I got to use the Futur tonight for the first time. I used it with a Bic blade! Here are my thoughts on the razor:

1. Beautiful looking razor, it's heavy and the head is large. Scary large! When I saw the blade gap, I cringed.
I studied the razor before doing anything. I recommend that you do the same. This razor is unlike anything else I've tried. I carefully removed the cap and put the cap upside down on the countertop, dropped in the blade on the cap and snapped the handle onto the cap. (I followed recommended advice from B&B). As long as you do it this way and always hold the side of the head when handling it, you wont cut yourself. Now with the blade installed, it looked even scarier, LOL!!
The cap snap system it has for blade changes is fantastic and the adjustable mechanism is really nice!
Another nice thing is the handle. I had zero issues of possible slippage which I also read about.
It feels solid and you can tell that it's built really well!

2. I started out using the #1 setting for my test shave. The Futur gives aggressiveness a new meaning! Let me repeat that and underline it. Matter of fact, let me underline it and put it in bold. Better yet, I'll also include it with a bigger font:
The Futur gives aggressiveness a new meaning!
This razor at least for now requires concentration. And mind you I only used it on the lowest setting. I won't dare to go higher until I get more practice with it. It's not a "first time pick up and go razor". All my other razors have been but not this one. And I've used two other adjustables! My Pearl flexi on a high setting is nowhere near the Futur's lowest setting. Same applies when comparing it to the Parker Variant. Luckily I've discovered that I like aggressive razors so this one completely fits the bill. I can't stress enough though that this razor doesn't feel or shave like the others and it requires a different approach in technique. I don't believe that the head does any of the work. This is all blade!! Lots of feedback which is great!
I've never used a straight razor but this is probably the closest result to a straight razor from a DE.
No way it should carry the "Safety razor" classification, LOL!!
This is a razor that definitely requires Zero Pressure when shaving. The big head and heavy weight will totally do that part of the work for you.

In the end I did my usual 2 pass shave. I did it slowly and making sure that I didn't apply any pressure and I ended up with a nice and comfortable close shave with no weepers or nicks.
All in all I really like it for now and will continue using it daily for the whole week!
Little by little I'll try a higher setting and see how it goes. If I like it long-term , I'll put it in my razor rotation.
Anyways, that was my day 1 experience and I think that it went pretty well considering all the weird stuff I've read about the Futur. Hope this helps!
LRod🙂

Hello Rod! 😎

See, I told you that you would get to try out your Merkur Futur before I could lol. HEHE. I am glad to hear that you are impressed with the sheer size and heft of the razor, very nice. And I see your learning what aggressive razors are all about. They are about efficiency, the ability to get the bulk of the whiskers in single passes, without taking all day doing it. But you do have to be extra careful when going ATG, this takes practice over time.

I am no stranger to heavy weight razors, I have experience with a 3.4 OZ Feather AS-D2, and a 3.7 OZ Rex Ambassador. But going from 3.7 OZ to 4.5 OZ is a bit of a jump in weight indeed, so I will have to get use to the extra weight. I tell you one thing, I am not interested in light weight razors, I like a razor that has weight, and I just let it do the work. And just so you know, thats exactly how you have to handle the Rex Ambassador as well, you don't dare apply pressure! lol

I am glad that you like the top cap design though, I am really impressed with the snap on installation design, from what I can tell in video's, allows for a very secure fit. And yes, you can hear the blade feedback from people video's, like GeoFatBoy's for example, I was like, dang dude, that razor is singing! And its supposed to look menacing with a blade in it, how else is it going to scare the light weight razors? HEHE

If anything, Geo proved in a video why you want a large gap if you have 5-days whiskers growth. I could not believe what I was seeing, but I could tell the video wasn't edited, it wasn't doctored in any way, and I was literally seeing him hack off 5-day whisker growth like it was nothing! But it took a big gap to do that, otherwise the razor would have clogged easily. Mild razors could never do that, not without clogging.

I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant first shave with your Futur, with no nicks or weepers, or razor burn, that is excellent news. I am glad to know that you have respect for the razor, it demands it! LOL! But at the same time, as your skills get better with it, so will your confidence in using it. I know this from experience with my Rex. Well, I need to get some sleep, and then later my packages should be here, and so that will be fun lol.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Merkur Futur Adjustable Razor In Matte Chrome
View attachment 1446330

I just couldn't help it guys! I have always wanted this razor since I first saw it, and ended up going with a Rex Ambassador instead. There are things about the Merkur Futur that call to me...

(1) Easy snap on/off top cap for easy blade removal and install!
(2) Infinite Adjustment Levels 1 through 6, just like the Rex!
(3) The Sexy Handle & Futuristic Design!
(4) Made In Germany, Need I Say More?

OK, I promise this is the last one. Why are you all giving me that look like you don't believe me? :letterk1:

Alright, so this was another purchase from New England Shaving because they treat me right. And, there was no way I was going to pay 80 for this on Amazon! With a 10% discount from being a previous customer, as they are who I bought the Rex Ambassador from, I got this with free shipping for 61 dollars out the door. I think I did good on this order. I can't wait to try it out. I am going to call it my Star Trek razor, cause it makes me think of Star Trek lol!

Alright, I want all you Merkur Futur owners to post pictures of your razors here, lets all have a Merkur Futur shaving party woohoo! 😁

Hope it's everything you thought it would be!

But you do have to be extra careful when going ATG, this takes practice over time.

I am no stranger to heavy weight razors, I have experience with a 3.4 OZ Feather AS-D2, and a 3.7 OZ Rex Ambassador. But going from 3.7 OZ to 4.5 OZ is a bit of a jump in weight indeed, so I will have to get use to the extra weight. I tell you one thing, I am not interested in light weight razors, I like a razor that has weight, and I just let it do the work. And just so you know, thats exactly how you have to handle the Rex Ambassador as well, you don't dare apply pressure! lol

If anything, Geo proved in a video why you want a large gap if you have 5-days whiskers growth. I could not believe what I was seeing, but I could tell the video wasn't edited, it wasn't doctored in any way, and I was literally seeing him hack off 5-day whisker growth like it was nothing! But it took a big gap to do that, otherwise the razor would have clogged easily. Mild razors could never do that, not without clogging.
-Well, I never do ATG so I won't have to worry about that with any razor. I get a DFS which I get by doing 2 passes.
-I use a heavy razor as well. The Pearl Flexi is actually heavier than the Rex since it's made of brass. It sits at 4.9 OZ!
It's also heavier than the Futur which sits at 4.4 OZ!
-I don't have a Rex but from what I see (in pictures), the blade gap is nothing compared to the Futur. Trust me when I say that the Futur's gap is something in it's own league.
-Luckily I shave daily so I'd never see a beard growth that goes beyond 2 days at the most. I will never get to experience the Futur's mowing capabilities, LOL! Because of that it might not be the best razor for me in the end.
We'll see!
-You seem to have about the same time as me DE shaving so it will be interesting to see your comparison of the Futur vs. the Rex. I'd like to see how you feel about it in comparison to me comparing it to the Flexi. The Flexi's design is almost identical to the Rex so it should be a similar comparison.
Anyways,
Let us know how it goes when you try it!
LRod

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Presenting...... The Merkur Futur!

proxy.php

What, you still can't see it? Well, lets fix this!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Oooooooo, Ahhhhhhhh, Well you look at that!

proxy.php
proxy.php

How could you possibly resist this razor? Well the answer is, you can't, so you better get yourself one! 😎

proxy.php
proxy.php

Well, I do say, she is one sleek razor, excellent contours, instant Star Trek certification achieved!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Head to head, ready for battle!

When I first started this DE wet shaving journey, I truly thought it would start and stop with one razor. I am writing to you now, realizing that the rabbit hole must have gotten bigger, so it could accept more people to go down it. I know, its like, welcome to the rabbit hole, inside Marry Poppins carry all bag, where all your money just disappeared!

When I pulled the razor out of the box, I noticed the increased weight over the Rex Ambassador right away. Of course, I wasn't scared of it as much as LRod was, I know how to tame wild razors, their all show and no bight. I popped the top off, I slapped that blade in the head, and snapped the top back on like a boss! I checked the blade reveal, looked slightly funky at first, I just wiggled the top cap a bit, and the reveal was then perfectly straight, no big deal.

Ohhhh, I just realized I forgot to tell you, it was a Bic blade I put in it. Yes, I know, it came with a single Merkur blade, but I wasn't going to use that. And once again, New England Shaving sent me another box of Astra blades, I won't use those either. I like to keep the Astra's as backup blades, as in, if I somehow managed to run out of everything else, I had those Astra's.

I set the razor to blade aggression level 3, which is half of 6. Would you look at that, I can do math! I win a cookie. After I got my face all lathered up with some delicious Captains Choice Italia shave soap, I went to town on my face. I noticed how much more blade feedback I was getting in the way of noise with this razor, it literally sings to you. Lend me your ears, and I will sing you a song. One thing I was amazed by, is that the Futur was shaving smoother with a brand new Bic blade, then my Rex does.

But asking the Futur to shave 3-day weekend stubble on level 3, was asking a bit much, same for the Rex in that way. Before I did the other side of my face and neck, I rinsed the razor, then brought it to the towel, head against towel, And I rotated the handle to blade aggression level 4. Which is where I have my Rex set for, WTG bulk removal as well. I went back to my face, and wow, was she singing louder now.

Sing my a tune Futur, sing it! You should have just heard it, I could hear the tune reverberating through the razor, it wasn't just the blade cutting sound. As the Futur quite smoothly I might add, sliced through my 3-day stubble whiskers. I managed to get a slight nick on a mole, but its the same one I always nick, so lets not go blaming the Futur, the Rex will do the same thing guys! And now, we come to the moostash area, the place where everybody throws a hissy fit about in the reviews.

Yes, I admit, its a bit tricky getting that head under the nose for the upper moostash hairs. But guys, I am kind of an experience wet shaver now. I made a funny face, and simultaneously used my fingers to move my nose away, and once I got the blade angle just right, I was able to get those tricky hairs. I felt with my fingers and I set, I got you, you BEEEEEPERS. I won't say what I really said, this is a family forum.

I then felt around my face, and I was like, for single WTG passes, not bad my Merkur Futur, you did very good, quite smooth for just a WTG shave. But, I am all about that BBS, and I am very serious about my BBS, and as such, I take no BS. So this is where I really put the Merkur Futur to the test! I re-wet my face, and brought a new load of warm lather to my face, from my scuttle. I set the Futur to blade aggression level 2. Were now doing ATG!

I started with my neck first, I couldn't believe how much smoother the Futur was shaving over that of the Rex. A razor with 0-resistance? This can't be, the Borg say resistance is futile, but I swear to God this Futur was like, oh yeah, watch this! By the time I was done with my neck, I felt my face, and realized that only a slight bit of buffing was going to be needed later, probably cause I wasn't using a Feather blade.

I then lathered up my face, and proceeded to shave, same blade aggression guys, level 2. Still ATG! WOW, listen to the razor sing, as its taking off a lot more hair! I tell you what, my Futur wasn't playing around, it saw whiskers, and it was bound and determined to rid them of my face. Again, a little slight buffing would be needed here and there. But ultimately, what did I not do this time around, that I did the last two times? I didn't cause capillary bleeding of the unwanted in the moostash area!

The only blood there was, was from that mole, but no where else! By the time I was finished with the buffing, I was left with a very smooth shave. And to my surprise, I wasn't getting anywhere near as bad of stinging from the alum stick! About the only spot that needed the alum stick, was the mole. Once I applied the Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel, and then later the aftershave, and my face was dry, I felt my face, and I kid you not, a higher quality BBS shave, then I ever got with my Rex Ambassador!

If I am to judge this razor from an first time shave standpoint, I'd say the razor passed with flying colors! But I'd like to get some more shaves with it, to finalize my review. But for now, I am going to give this Merkur Futur a 100% positive feedback, 5 out of 5 stars! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Bonus pictures...

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Presenting...... The Merkur Futur!

proxy.php

What, you still can't see it? Well, lets fix this!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Oooooooo, Ahhhhhhhh, Well you look at that!

proxy.php
proxy.php

How could you possibly resist this razor? Well the answer is, you can't, so you better get yourself one! 😎

proxy.php
proxy.php

Well, I do say, she is one sleek razor, excellent contours, instant Star Trek certification achieved!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Head to head, ready for battle!

When I first started this DE wet shaving journey, I truly thought it would start and stop with one razor. I am writing to you now, realizing that the rabbit hole must have gotten bigger, so it could accept more people to go down it. I know, its like, welcome to the rabbit hole, inside Marry Poppins carry all bag, where all your money just disappeared!

When I pulled the razor out of the box, I noticed the increased weight over the Rex Ambassador right away. Of course, I wasn't scared of it as much as LRod was, I know how to tame wild razors, their all show and no bight. I popped the top off, I slapped that blade in the head, and snapped the top back on like a boss! I checked the blade reveal, looked slightly funky at first, I just wiggled the top cap a bit, and the reveal was then perfectly straight, no big deal.

Ohhhh, I just realized I forgot to tell you, it was a Bic blade I put in it. Yes, I know, it came with a single Merkur blade, but I wasn't going to use that. And once again, New England Shaving sent me another box of Astra blades, I won't use those either. I like to keep the Astra's as backup blades, as in, if I somehow managed to run out of everything else, I had those Astra's.

I set the razor to blade aggression level 3, which is half of 6. Would you look at that, I can do math! I win a cookie. After I got my face all lathered up with some delicious Captains Choice Italia shave soap, I went to town on my face. I noticed how much more blade feedback I was getting in the way of noise with this razor, it literally sings to you. Lend me your ears, and I will sing you a song. One thing I was amazed by, is that the Futur was shaving smoother with a brand new Bic blade, then my Rex does.

But asking the Futur to shave 3-day weekend stubble on level 3, was asking a bit much, same for the Rex in that way. Before I did the other side of my face and neck, I rinsed the razor, then brought it to the towel, head against towel, And I rotated the handle to blade aggression level 4. Which is where I have my Rex set for, WTG bulk removal as well. I went back to my face, and wow, was she singing louder now.

Sing my a tune Futur, sing it! You should have just heard it, I could hear the tune reverberating through the razor, it wasn't just the blade cutting sound. As the Futur quite smoothly I might add, sliced through my 3-day stubble whiskers. I managed to get a slight nick on a mole, but its the same one I always nick, so lets not go blaming the Futur, the Rex will do the same thing guys! And now, we come to the moostash area, the place where everybody throws a hissy fit about in the reviews.

Yes, I admit, its a bit tricky getting that head under the nose for the upper moostash hairs. But guys, I am kind of an experience wet shaver now. I made a funny face, and simultaneously used my fingers to move my nose away, and once I got the blade angle just right, I was able to get those tricky hairs. I felt with my fingers and I set, I got you, you BEEEEEPERS. I won't say what I really said, this is a family forum.

I then felt around my face, and I was like, for single WTG passes, not bad my Merkur Futur, you did very good, quite smooth for just a WTG shave. But, I am all about that BBS, and I am very serious about my BBS, and as such, I take no BS. So this is where I really put the Merkur Futur to the test! I re-wet my face, and brought a new load of warm lather to my face, from my scuttle. I set the Futur to blade aggression level 2. Were now doing ATG!

I started with my neck first, I couldn't believe how much smoother the Futur was shaving over that of the Rex. A razor with 0-resistance? This can't be, the Borg say resistance is futile, but I swear to God this Futur was like, oh yeah, watch this! By the time I was done with my neck, I felt my face, and realized that only a slight bit of buffing was going to be needed later, probably cause I wasn't using a Feather blade.

I then lathered up my face, and proceeded to shave, same blade aggression guys, level 2. Still ATG! WOW, listen to the razor sing, as its taking off a lot more hair! I tell you what, my Futur wasn't playing around, it saw whiskers, and it was bound and determined to rid them of my face. Again, a little slight buffing would be needed here and there. But ultimately, what did I not do this time around, that I did the last two times? I didn't cause capillary bleeding of the unwanted in the moostash area!

The only blood there was, was from that mole, but no where else! By the time I was finished with the buffing, I was left with a very smooth shave. And to my surprise, I wasn't getting anywhere near as bad of stinging from the alum stick! About the only spot that needed the alum stick, was the mole. Once I applied the Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel, and then later the aftershave, and my face was dry, I felt my face, and I kid you not, a higher quality BBS shave, then I ever got with my Rex Ambassador!

If I am to judge this razor from an first time shave standpoint, I'd say the razor passed with flying colors! But I'd like to get some more shaves with it, to finalize my review. But for now, I am going to give this Merkur Futur a 100% positive feedback, 5 out of 5 stars! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Bonus pictures...

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
Excellent review!
First shave at setting #3, you are definitely braver than me my friend!
Here are some interesting (and shocking) figures comparing the Rex blade gap vs. the Futur's,
(From lowest to highest setting):
Rex: 0.012" - 0.052"
Futur: 1.12" - 1.75"
To put this in perspective: The Merkur 34C which is very popular and is middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness, has a blade gap of 0.71".
That means that the Rex is super mild and the Futur is a monster!
Now I understand why the Feather AS-D2 did nothing for you!
Again, you are brave and have a face of steel (except for your mole, LOL!!)😉

Really entertaining to read your respective reviews of the Futur, LRod and Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker. The polished chrome looks great too.
It took me a while to build up the courage to try the Futur above setting 1 but it was my 3rd DE razor after the old Wilkinson Sword Classic (black plastic) and the Edwin Jagger DE89, two very light razors.

My first impression after using a Futur the first time - on settings 1 and 2 - was I didn‘t think I’d ever had such smooth cheeks after shaving before. I’d class my beard coarseness as medium at most and so two passes with a Futur will give me at least 1 extra day where I can get away without shaving compared to if I did 3 passes with say an Edwin Jagger DE89.

Nowadays I wouldn’t hesitate to go to setting 6, especially if I’ve got an extra day or so’s growth. It’s sometimes worth me not shaving a few extra days to dig the Futur out and let it shine when mowing down a 4 or 5 day beard.

As for getting the moustache hairs under the nose, I was asked about this on another forum. This is definitely all about angle for me and once I got that right it’s been a doddle since.

A friend of mine who I’ve managed to convert to DE shaving seriously needs to try a Futur. I am thinking about loaning my as yet unused spare one at some point. His shaving issues are definitely related to having a very coarse beard and I think the Futur will be a game changer for him with the efficiency it brings.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Really entertaining to read your respective reviews of the Futur, LRod and Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker. The polished chrome looks great too.
It took me a while to build up the courage to try the Futur above setting 1 but it was my 3rd DE razor after the old Wilkinson Sword Classic (black plastic) and the Edwin Jagger DE89, two very light razors.

My first impression after using a Futur the first time - on settings 1 and 2 - was I didn‘t think I’d ever had such smooth cheeks after shaving before. I’d class my beard coarseness as medium at most and so two passes with a Futur will give me at least 1 extra day where I can get away without shaving compared to if I did 3 passes with say an Edwin Jagger DE89.

Nowadays I wouldn’t hesitate to go to setting 6, especially if I’ve got an extra day or so’s growth. It’s sometimes worth me not shaving a few extra days to dig the Futur out and let it shine when mowing down a 4 or 5 day beard.

As for getting the moustache hairs under the nose, I was asked about this on another forum. This is definitely all about angle for me and once I got that right it’s been a doddle since.

A friend of mine who I’ve managed to convert to DE shaving seriously needs to try a Futur. I am thinking about loaning my as yet unused spare one at some point. His shaving issues are definitely related to having a very coarse beard and I think the Futur will be a game changer for him with the efficiency it brings.

Glad you found them informative and entertaining. I watched a video from GeoFatBoy, where he was literally taking off a 5-day beard using setting level 6, that was all the proof I needed, to know that this razor was the real deal. If your friend needs a nudge, give them the link to this thread, and I think by the time they finish reading it, they will be ordering a Merkur Futur.

Also, keep soap off your fingers, or it can be tricky to use a Merkur Futur, due to the smooth handle. Or! Head on over to ShaveNation, where he literally sells a version of the razor, with a customized grip handle. But it will cost you more to buy the razor that rout just so you know. You can get the razor cheaper from New England Shaving.

While the custom grip handle would be nice, I wasn't willing to pay more, so to each their own I suppose.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

As we all know, most razors don't come with stands, even though we know they all should! I ordered this stand from Amazon for a very affordable price. Its solid metal, as such it has a small amount of weight to it, and it was probably made off of a CNC lathe more then likely. It includes a nifty drain hole in the bottom of it, and as you can see, its the perfect size to hold a Merkur Futur! Totally recommended!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom