What's new

I Ordered Another Razor...Again... Merkur Futur Adjustable Razor!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Merkur Futur Adjustable Razor In Matte Chrome
merkur-safety-razor-merkur-futur-safety-razor-matte-chrome.jpg

I just couldn't help it guys! I have always wanted this razor since I first saw it, and ended up going with a Rex Ambassador instead. There are things about the Merkur Futur that call to me...

(1) Easy snap on/off top cap for easy blade removal and install!
(2) Infinite Adjustment Levels 1 through 6, just like the Rex!
(3) The Sexy Handle & Futuristic Design!
(4) Made In Germany, Need I Say More?

OK, I promise this is the last one. Why are you all giving me that look like you don't believe me? :letterk1:

Alright, so this was another purchase from New England Shaving because they treat me right. And, there was no way I was going to pay 80 for this on Amazon! With a 10% discount from being a previous customer, as they are who I bought the Rex Ambassador from, I got this with free shipping for 61 dollars out the door. I think I did good on this order. I can't wait to try it out. I am going to call it my Star Trek razor, cause it makes me think of Star Trek lol!

Alright, I want all you Merkur Futur owners to post pictures of your razors here, lets all have a Merkur Futur shaving party woohoo! 😁

Here’s mine in polished chrome. I paid slightly more than you but mine came with a presentation Merkur gift box, which has been ideal for travelling. It was the third DE razor I bought and I also own a spare, which I’ve never used. It’s a superior razor - the snap on/off top cap in particular is great and there’s no blade overhang either. The weight of the razor does much of the work for you and the audio feedback during the shave is very satisfying.

Attachments

• 38C94F51-9EF5-4A9D-9FA3-18AA4D5FEA4C.jpeg
    38C94F51-9EF5-4A9D-9FA3-18AA4D5FEA4C.jpeg
    996.1 KB · Views: 24
Congratulations! You're going to love your "Star Trek" Merkur Futur. Since its futuristic design removes chances of chopping off your esr lobe, they left a gate open to once in a while take a slice off your finger when changing the blade !

Here is mine from an earlier SOTD. BTW, you can address me as captain gold finger! :lol:

No, seriously after using a lower quality clone Futur first, I never got around to using this beautiful razor, until this month. This razor is superlative in every way, it's design, way it shaves, audible feedback. You'll love your Futur.

1649084974414.jpg

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1446330

I just couldn't help it guys! I have always wanted this razor since I first saw it, and ended up going with a Rex Ambassador instead. There are things about the Merkur Futur that call to me...

OK, I promise this is the last one. Why are you all giving me that look like you don't believe me? :letterk1:

Alright, so this was another purchase from New England Shaving because they treat me right. And, there was no way I was going to pay 80 for this on Amazon! With a 10% discount from being a previous customer, as they are who I bought the Rex Ambassador from, I got this with free shipping for 61 dollars out the door. I think I did good on this order. I can't wait to try it out. I am going to call it my Star Trek razor, cause it makes me think of Star Trek lol!

Alright, I want all you Merkur Futur owners to post pictures of your razors here, lets all have a Merkur Futur shaving party woohoo! 😁
Lots of folks like that razor, I think you got also a good deal. A few fellows have all 3 models mat chrome, chrome and gold finishes and seem happy with them. I have a Clone I bought 4+ years ago when I first started Traditional wet shaving and QC on it was so so . Enjoy!

Brother Star,

I love the Merkur Futur.

My advice is to remember this is an insanely aggressive razor. I have heavy and coarse whiskers, but I find a low setting of only 1.5 on the 6-setting dial is perfect. (I hope and presume you're not one of the curious folks who feel the art and the purpose of shaving with an adjustable razor is to use it only at the highest setting.)

It also has a uniquely solid and efficient feel during the shave.

It is one of the few razors that I can shave comfortably ATG above the lip. Most of my other razors fail, and I have about 70 DE and SE razors.

My only complaints on the Futur are the overly calibrated dial and I wish the handle was a bit more grippy, but I have never dropped it or even come close to dropping it.

After your honeymoon period please let us know what you think of the Futur.

View attachment 1446330

Enjoy!! Great looking razor! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Sorry it took me so long to get back to everyone, I put in an 8-hour shift today, so that kept me busy all day. I didn't even have time to post my SOTD! But don't worry, I will get right on that. But for now, its time to write some replies! HEHE 😁

Here’s mine in polished chrome. I paid slightly more than you but mine came with a presentation Merkur gift box, which has been ideal for travelling. It was the third DE razor I bought and I also own a spare, which I’ve never used. It’s a superior razor - the snap on/off top cap in particular is great and there’s no blade overhang either. The weight of the razor does much of the work for you and the audio feedback during the shave is very satisfying.

Oh my gosh, its gorgeous! I love it! 😍 I see you are using the Proraso aftershave too, how you like it? I have the Proraso aftershave balm and I love it. Yes, I am very much wanting that snap on/off cap, I think thats just great. When I see people do that in video's, it provides this solid snap sound feedback, that is ever so satisfying. And then I've also heard the whisker removal feedback too, as its being used.

My Rex Ambassador is 3.7 ounces. And I've learned that the Merkur Futur is a 4.5 ounce razor. I don't know about you, but I love heavy weighted razors. For me, they make shaving easier. Why? Cause I don't have to think about how much pressure to apply, because you don't need to apply any pressure when using a heavy weighted razor, their weight carries the blade through the cut, and thats all I need.

Thanks again for sharing a pic of your razor, your Merkur Futur is so delicious it made me hungry, so I heated up some frozen pizza, ahhh, that hit the spot! :tongue_sm

Congratulations! You're going to love your "Star Trek" Merkur Futur. Since its futuristic design removes chances of chopping off your esr lobe, they left a gate open to once in a while take a slice off your finger when changing the blade !

Here is mine from an earlier SOTD. BTW, you can address me as captain gold finger! :lol:

No, seriously after using a lower quality clone Futur first, I never got around to using this beautiful razor, until this month. This razor is superlative in every way, it's design, way it shaves, audible feedback. You'll love your Futur.

View attachment 1446474

Oh my gosh, your razor is absolutely gorgeous too! I love it! 😍 Truth be told, I could have bought the polished version, or the gold plated polished version. But while I appreciate gold razors in people's photo's and video's, gold is not really me per say, but like I said, I love looking at it. An as far as polished, oh man, I'd never be able to keep the thing clean enough to keep it in its original polished look lol!

I decided, both for ease of cleaning, and for financial reasons, the matte chrome was the best option for me. Thank you so much for sharing such beauty with me, I really appreciate it, your razor looks amazing! I've watched enough video's on the Merkur Futur, that I know how to change the blade safely. And I also know how to adjust the blade aggression on the fly without cutting myself, using a towel to hold razor. ;)

Lots of folks like that razor, I think you got also a good deal. A few fellows have all 3 models mat chrome, chrome and gold finishes and seem happy with them. I have a Clone I bought 4+ years ago when I first started Traditional wet shaving and QC on it was so so . Enjoy!

I noticed that too Ron, people do seem to really love this razor, which also helped to boost my confidence. I completely agree with you! Yep, it seems that when a company puts out their first versions, they always have troubles with them, the Rex was no different in its history. But once years go by, razors get improved upon, and made better. So happy to hear your friends love their Merkur Futur's too! :)

Love the Futur! it was the first DE I purchased. It's heavy, but that's not a bad thing.

I agree! A heavy weighted razor is not a bad thing at all, its actually a good thing. When I first started wet shaving, I didn't want a real light razor, because that would have forced me to figure out how much pressure to use. I started with a Feather AS-D2, which is a 3.4 OZ razor if I remember correctly. Then I switched to a Rex Ambassador, which is a 3.7 OZ razor. Now, I will be trying out a whopping 4.5 OZ razor called the Merkur Futur, were going to be good friends I just know it hehe. Glad you love your Futur! 😁

And now, a word from Khan:

View attachment 1446535
"Captain, although your shaving technology
intrigues me, it is quite honestly inferior."

:clown:

Ohhhhhh Kahn, always him and his superiority complex, he sure knows how to monologue. But he's right about one thing. When I really want a razor? I will chase through nebula's, around moons, and perdition's flames before I give it up! 😂 But if Kahn steals my Merkur Futur, oh its on baby! :lol:

Brother Star,

I love the Merkur Futur.

My advice is to remember this is an insanely aggressive razor. I have heavy and coarse whiskers, but I find a low setting of only 1.5 on the 6-setting dial is perfect. (I hope and presume you're not one of the curious folks who feel the art and the purpose of shaving with an adjustable razor is to use it only at the highest setting.)

It also has a uniquely solid and efficient feel during the shave.

It is one of the few razors that I can shave comfortably ATG above the lip. Most of my other razors fail, and I have about 70 DE and SE razors.

My only complaints on the Futur are the overly calibrated dial and I wish the handle was a bit more grippy, but I have never dropped it or even come close to dropping it.

After your honeymoon period please let us know what you think of the Futur.

I am so glad that you love your Merkur Futur, thats awesome! I thought the razor was just as aggressive as the Rex Ambassador, but now I am getting the feeling that maybe its more aggressive? So, instead of starting out on level 4 for my WTG passes like I usually do with my Rex, maybe I should start out on setting level 3 for my WTG passes?

No, I am not like GeoFatBoy, who uses a Merkur Futur all the way on level 6, when I saw him doing that, I was like, seriously! And I saw another Youtuber, forget his name, but he shaves far too fast and aggressive style for my liking, and he was on level 6, and of course, he caused himself a weeper on his neck, cause he was going too aggressive. I was like, dude, I don't think you should use level 6, bad idea! lol

Ya, the biggest complaint I've heard from people about the Merkur Futur, is that they have troubles getting under their nose. Well, hold my beer! 😁 Thank you for the information, and your review. For the record, I've never dropped a razor, don't intend to now either. Also, in my mechanics shop, I use tools called torque wrenches, and you can't drop those either, cause it will throw off the calibration. Then you got to send them in for a professional certified re-calibration. So, I am always careful not to drop them.

It’s definitely going to be a change from the Rex Ambassador, which is only mildly aggressive on its upper settings.

This is good information to know, I think I will start out with blade aggression setting level 3 for my WTG passes then, instead of 4, like I do with my Rex Ambassador. Then maybe I will use setting level 1, for my ATG passes.

Enjoy!! Great looking razor! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Thanks BigJ! I always love seeing you around. Three thumbs up, I am honored! Thank you! 😁

Congratulations, it's a classic! I've had one & enjoyed it. Once you get familiar with it, try something that may sound crazy. Turn it to "6" & shave with it. You'll be surprised but you also may really love it. It seems like it smooths out at the high setting. Maybe I'm crazy to some, but it worked for me. And just to set the record straight, I'm crazy probably to a lot more folks than just some of them.

My futur served me well for over a decade. In fact it was the only razor I used for that time. Unfortunately mine stopped working correctly. For some inexplicable reason, one side felt like the blade was barely shaving my face. Its still on my shelf but now its just just for looks.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Congratulations, it's a classic! I've had one & enjoyed it. Once you get familiar with it, try something that may sound crazy. Turn it to "6" & shave with it. You'll be surprised but you also may really love it. It seems like it smooths out at the high setting. Maybe I'm crazy to some, but it worked for me. And just to set the record straight, I'm crazy probably to a lot more folks than just some of them.

Thanks DMSHAVER! I like classics, as long as I can get them new lol! Hmm, no, I won't be doing that, but thank you anyways lol.

My futur served me well for over a decade. In fact it was the only razor I used for that time. Unfortunately mine stopped working correctly. For some inexplicable reason, one side felt like the blade was barely shaving my face. Its still on my shelf but now its just just for looks.

I assume you tried different blades? And I assume that you attached the top cap in the correct orientation? The reason I ask, is because the Futur cap only goes on properly, in one direction If you flip the cap the other direction, the top cap goes on crooked. This just goes to show you how many video's I watched on the Futur if I already know this information lol.

And if your Futur really is screwed up, I am truly sorry! I want you to be able to enjoy a Futur again Greggory. So, if yours is really in its permanent graveyard resting place, then maybe buy a new one. Then we could be Futur brothers. HEHE.

Thanks DMSHAVER! I like classics, as long as I can get them new lol! Hmm, no, I won't be doing that, but thank you anyways lol.

I assume you tried different blades? And I assume that you attached the top cap in the correct orientation? The reason I ask, is because the Futur cap only goes on properly, in one direction If you flip the cap the other direction, the top cap goes on crooked. This just goes to show you how many video's I watched on the Futur if I already know this information lol.

And if your Futur really is screwed up, I am truly sorry! I want you to be able to enjoy a Futur again Greggory. So, if yours is really in its permanent graveyard resting place, then maybe buy a new one. Then we could be Futur brothers. HEHE.
I did not know that the cap only went on one way. I am embarrassed for not knowing that, considering how long I have owned it. But that makes sense, because that's exactly what it felt like when I shaved with it. Im gonna swap the cap around and give it another shot. We may end up being futur brothers after all. Thanks for the suggestion!

Wait. Time out. The cap on the Merkur Futur goes on correctly in either direction. You may be thinking of it's brother, the Merkur Progress.

Great video. But unless I missed it, I dont recall him saying that the cap has to be orientated a certain way.

There is a chance I missed it. I was watching the vid on my phone late at night, tried to keep volume down as to not disturb sleeping wife.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Great video. But unless I missed it, I dont recall him saying that the cap has to be orientated a certain way.

There is a chance I missed it. I was watching the vid on my phone late at night, tried to keep volume down as to not disturb sleeping wife.

Apologies, the video where I saw a guy put the top cap on the wrong direction, that was a different video and I don't remember which one that was. For some reason my mind wants to lead to GeoFatBoy, maybe it was one of his video's, God knows I've watched a lot of them.

Never wake up a sleeping wife unless its an emergency, otherwise you will become the emergency.

No, I was just sharing that video above, cause that is the one I last watched, and I found it really informative, on how to take apart a Merkur Futur razor, how to clean it, oil it properly, and put it back together. One thing he didn't oil though, and I would have, is the spring. But other then that, I think he did awesome, and I will be doing the same.

I was honestly amazed at how dirty his Futur was to be honest. I always have the policy, after the razor has been used, remove the top cap, blade, wipe everything down, allow to dry on a paper towel, then put razor back together hours later, hang on the stand. The thing I am curious to know is, did he get that much grime buildup despite cleaning after every use, or is that from never cleaning the razor.

It looked like dried toothpaste on there didn't it? Probably just dried soap I am guessing. Either that, or that man has hard water like you can't believe! You know, like untreated well water or something lol.

Apologies, the video where I saw a guy put the top cap on the wrong direction, that was a different video and I don't remember which one that was. For some reason my mind wants to lead to GeoFatBoy, maybe it was one of his video's, God knows I've watched a lot of them.

Never wake up a sleeping wife unless its an emergency, otherwise you will become the emergency.

No, I was just sharing that video above, cause that is the one I last watched, and I found it really informative, on how to take apart a Merkur Futur razor, how to clean it, oil it properly, and put it back together. One thing he didn't oil though, and I would have, is the spring. But other then that, I think he did awesome, and I will be doing the same.

I was honestly amazed at how dirty his Futur was to be honest. I always have the policy, after the razor has been used, remove the top cap, blade, wipe everything down, allow to dry on a paper towel, then put razor back together hours later, hang on the stand. The thing I am curious to know is, did he get that much grime buildup despite cleaning after every use, or is that from never cleaning the razor.

It looked like dried toothpaste on there didn't it? Probably just dried soap I am guessing. Either that, or that man has hard water like you can't believe! You know, like untreated well water or something lol.
It was Geofatboy discussing the Merkur Progress.

Top Bottom