What's new

I only use blades once

I may be in a bit of a minority here, but I throw my blades out after every use. I've always been like that, going back to when I used to use the disposable cartridge razors. Using it more than once feels wrong to me, I can't quite get over it, despite how many people on here say that blades get better after the first use.

The only blade(s) I used multiple times were the gillette fusion/mach/whatever 5 blade cartridges, and that was mainly down to not shaving often and not wanting to fork out for the super expensive blades.

I'd recommend 3 uses on any blade. After that, it does start to go downhill but some folks feel they can get 10 or 20 shaves from a blade. Not me. I will go as far as 4 but that's enough for me. One time is just a waste. They are low cost but at least double your money and use them twice.

Every razor blade is slightly different.

Feather blades are super sharp out of the wrapper, but they are quite fragile. After a couple of shaves, they deteriorate to the point they feel harsh on my face.

Some blades start sharp and stay similar in sharpness for several shaves.

Some blades have a thick coating that makes the blades somewhat dull on the first shave. As the coating wears off, the blades become sharper. Then they will start to deteriorate.

Some blades just are not all that sharp, period. However, for those whose beards are not so tough, they may work great.

Thus, it really depends on which blades you are using and what you need in the way of sharpness and smoothness in your blade. If you had mentioned which blades you typically used, I might be able to tell you which category it falls into. The only thing I suggest is that you try a blade for a second shave and see what you like and dislike about the shave. If I used Feather blades, I would have to replace it after the second shave. I have a very tough beard and only get about 4 shaves per blade, but the 1st shave is my least favorite of the four.

I'd recommend 3 uses on any blade. After that, it does start to go downhill but some folks feel they can get 10 or 20 shaves from a blade. Not me. I will go as far as 4 but that's enough for me. One time is just a waste. They are low cost but at least double your money and use them twice.
Solid advice here. I usually go three shaves per blade as well. I think the guys that claim to get 20 shaves from a blade either a) have peach fuzz or b) have a beard and are only shaving a portion of their neck. I definitely feel the blade deteriorating after 3 shaves.

Solid advice here. I usually go three shaves per blade as well. I think the guys that claim to get 20 shaves from a blade either a) have peach fuzz or b) have a beard and are only shaving a portion of their neck. I definitely feel the blade deteriorating after 3 shaves.
Agreed.

I recall some dude last year that was (very strangely) pretty well known in the shaving community for shaving daily with one blade for a year. First off, that is super weird that people actually cared/were impressed… and second off, he had a big goatee and just shaved his cheeks and a small part of his neck. LOL

I may be in a bit of a minority here, but I throw my blades out after every use. I've always been like that, going back to when I used to use the disposable cartridge razors. Using it more than once feels wrong to me, I can't quite get over it, despite how many people on here say that blades get better after the first use.

The only blade(s) I used multiple times were the gillette fusion/mach/whatever 5 blade cartridges, and that was mainly down to not shaving often and not wanting to fork out for the super expensive blades.
Ok.

Well this is very YMMV thing. For me it depends on so many things: how many passes, technique, how you care about DE blade after each use, brand and quality of that particular blade (sometimes you can find a bad batch).
Now I don’t think nowadays DE blade is something you need keep to the point you scratch your face with a dull blade. I go with “rather change it one shave earlier than one shave too late”. That being said 3-5 uses per blade. Sometimes over 5 but I had blades I had to bin after one use.

Whatever works for you man.

Blades are cheap. Get a nice big blade bank. Hearing the blade clank can be satisfying!

I'm waaaaay ahead of you...

Every razor blade is slightly different.

Feather blades are super sharp out of the wrapper, but they are quite fragile. After a couple of shaves, they deteriorate to the point they feel harsh on my face.

Some blades start sharp and stay similar in sharpness for several shaves.

Some blades have a thick coating that makes the blades somewhat dull on the first shave. As the coating wears off, the blades become sharper. Then they will start to deteriorate.

Some blades just are not all that sharp, period. However, for those whose beards are not so tough, they may work great.

Thus, it really depends on which blades you are using and what you need in the way of sharpness and smoothness in your blade. If you had mentioned which blades you typically used, I might be able to tell you which category it falls into. The only thing I suggest is that you try a blade for a second shave and see what you like and dislike about the shave. If I used Feather blades, I would have to replace it after the second shave. I have a very tough beard and only get about 4 shaves per blade, but the 1st shave is my least favorite of the four.
My current go to are bluebird blades out of the derby factory in Turkey, with Extras and Elios blades also getting occasional use

I'm waaaaay ahead of you...
Just wait until you see his @lasta blade bank. Trust me…

1676581640399.gif

As I also shave with straights, I know that a freshly honed (and stropped) razor will reach its peak performance only on the second or third shave.

Similarly, safety razor blades too reach their best performance on the second and third shave.
It may feel ”wrong” to you, but I am in the camp that finds this practice not only wasteful, but it would also deprive me of the best shaves.

Of course, technique and pre-shave prep also play a role in how long a blade last and how quickly it is shot.

B.

Top Bottom