What's new

I only use blades once

The vast majority of blades that I own start to decline after the third shave, albeit some more slowly than others. Sweet spot is usually the second shave.

With that, I have more blades than i could ever use, so these days its three and out for almost every non-vintage blade that I use. No reason to use a less than an optimal blade when I have so many.

My current go to are bluebird blades out of the derby factory in Turkey, with Extras and Elios blades also getting occasional use
The Derby Extra blades are among the not-all-that-sharp category. I have no experience with the Bluebird blades. I have heard that they are a private label branding of one of the other blades made by Derby. The box says they are platinum blades, so they may have the same chromium-ceramic-platinum-tungsten polymer coating used on the Derby Premium blades. I understand the blades are made of very thin steel, so perhaps the edge is sharp, yet fragile.

I still suggest trying the blades for more than one shave. If you are not pleased with the second shave, go back to your single-use plan. If the second shave is better than the first, try a third shave. Shaving is all about experimentation to learn what works best for you.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Here's the reality: nobody here is peeking in your bathroom window and we're all good with using a blade once or 30 times. If you're paying ten cents a blade you're going through $.70 a week (or less), and let's face it, you've got $.70.

I do find the second shave is often better than the first. I keep track of my blade use with a die and a few years back I found that virtually all my weepers came on the 15th pass, so I change blades after 4 days (usually 2 with a Feather).

As a practical matter I'd suggest trying 2 days, but if you find the idea repugnant I'd suggest you keep using them for one day and be happy about it. If changing the blade brings a little joy to your day I say enjoy the heck out of it and carry on.

I use blades as long as they perform well. Sometimes that goes over 15 shaves per blade and sometimes it is less than 5 shaves per blade. Most of the time subsequent shaves are better than the first shave on a blade. I don't like to throw things away that still work well and that applies to everything in my life. I have way more blades than I can use in my lifetime so running out of blades is not the reason, I just don't like to waste stuff.

Sure! Whatever works for you is just fine!

For me, tossing some blades after the first use would mean missing the best shaves that blade may deliver. For, example, Personna labs often require a shave or three to really hit their stride.

For other blades like Feathers, the first shave may be the best!

For me, it's the consistency of one and done. I'm not a shave blade connoisseur, my experience the last 2 years with a wunderbar I wanted blade repeatability. My consumption has been about 100 blades/year. I have burned through the Astras and feathers, working on the personna blues now. Below is the cost pers blade (US$). For me the consistency of the blade reduced shave time dealing with nicks/weepers. Consider the cost of shave cream, nick/weeper management and post shave lotion/moisturizer, new blade is not a big deal.
In the end, it's personal preference, nothing more.

A new blade every shave is an investment, in my opinion.

Astra SP 8 cents
Personna blue 17 cents
Feather 30 cents

This pastime of ours, wet shaving, affords each of us the opportunity to do what works best for us. There is no absolute right or wrong. Using a blade for one shave then throwing it out is perfectly acceptable if that’s what works for you. Congratulations on knowing what you like & being able to do it. Enjoy your shaves!

I get what you are saying, but bad analogy. A Nacet is $0.10 and a bottle of Glenlivet is… well, not ten cents. 🤪
I agree with you, it is a poor analogy, and I probably value a good blade too highly. But be it good, bad, or indifferent it's only my own opinion. And as I said, to each his own. :bored:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
To me, throwing away a Gillette Nacet for example, after one shave, would be like throwing away a bottle of Glenlivet Scotch after one shot. But to each his own. :rolleyes1

Glenlivet shots?!?! Living the "highland" life. I sip mine.

As to OP, to each their own. Do you.

I may be in a bit of a minority here, but I throw my blades out after every use. I've always been like that, going back to when I used to use the disposable cartridge razors. Using it more than once feels wrong to me, I can't quite get over it, despite how many people on here say that blades get better after the first use.

The only blade(s) I used multiple times were the gillette fusion/mach/whatever 5 blade cartridges, and that was mainly down to not shaving often and not wanting to fork out for the super expensive blades.
Keep doing what works best for you - YMMV.

See that you use Bluebird and Derby blades. I'm a Derby Extra fan myself though they are good for multiple shaves for me per my technique and beard type. One thing I have discovered is that as I shifted to wetter/slicker lather a side effect was increased blade longevity. My Derby blades used to be good for roughly 3-5 shaves. Now it's more like 5 - 8 with some outliers. One Derby Extra blade delivered over 20 shaves earlier this year.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm too new to wet shaving to know what's best for me, let alone anyone else. So far, when I've tried to stretch any blade to a third use, I've seen significant degradation of the shave, so I've been using DE blades twice, then tossing them.

I can only get 6 shaves out of a SE AC blade, when many people get 10 or more... I'm sure some of it depends on our shaving techniques... but how our whiskers dull an edge has to be a factor too, one would think. I've read that shaving actually sharpens then hones the DE blades... but I don't understand that.. It that is true, when I use a kitchen knife, it would sharpen itself when cutting and hone it on the "back stroke", if there is one.

My only thought is... our whiskers are different... our techniques vary.. longevity of a blade's sharpness has to be dependent on those two, doesn't it? Oh... and has been mentioned, if we retain some of our facial hair or shave our entire face and neck.

I use DE blades a minimum of 5 days, but I have gone 7 days with no issues.

IDK if this is true and I have no way to prove it, but I believe razor blades have a "wire edge" from the factory. Usually, the "wire edge" comes off after the first shave. Subsequent shave are closer and smoother. I only have anecdotal evidence, but I "feel" the difference. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I may be in a bit of a minority here, but I throw my blades out after every use. I've always been like that, going back to when I used to use the disposable cartridge razors. Using it more than once feels wrong to me, I can't quite get over it, despite how many people on here say that blades get better after the first use.

The only blade(s) I used multiple times were the gillette fusion/mach/whatever 5 blade cartridges, and that was mainly down to not shaving often and not wanting to fork out for the super expensive blades.
I suggest you try a least 2 shaves with a blade because the 2 & 3 shaves when face shaving are the sharpest and can be the smoother, it is a known fact of shaving. There is a person that test blades and he has some fancy equipment for testing sharpest and feel of the blade + head shaves & he has found 2nd shave on the head is the sharpest. He tests the sharpness of a new blade out of the wrapper and then shaves and tests sharpness again and then he shaves a 2nd time and measures sharpness after 1st and 2nd shave and does a percentage gain or loss of sharpness.

Top Bottom