What's new

I obtained my final holy grail razor

So...yeah...well...where to begin. Remember when I posted about my first holy grail razor yesterday and I wrote this little cliff hanger:

And the story actually doesn't end there - but that is for another day! :cuppa::001_rolle

Well this is another one of those "life is not happening to you, but happening for you" (I believe a quote from Tony Robbins) type of stories.

I reached out to a fellow B&B brother who I knew send razors to Europe to ask what his preferred way and process was so I could relay that information to @Butch Waxx in sending my top-end-big-alpha-dog-do-I-need-another-razor-ever-again razor (paying homage to @never-stop-learning 's razor categories here :001_tt1:). He was super kind and super helpful and in our small conversation I made a typing error (or better stated: was victimized by auto correct!) which read "modern but vintage razor". Obviously, that peaked his attention and our conversation continued with me explaining that that should have read "modern NOT vintage razor" and for me the only "modern but vintage razor" would be a very hard to find Gillette Super Adjustable v3 also known as the Gillette Black Beauty.

He shared some of his story and his amazing collection of vintage razors and even undertook a small search into his collection, but concluded the v3 was not present. And why should it, right? These things rarely pop up on the bay sites and if they do their condition is usually less than desirable. I mean I can look through gunk as such, but there is no knowing if the doors open, if the mechanism works, et cetera right?

I promised to keep him posted when my Timeless arrived - which I did and that was it. He also helped me to cope with this PIF thing a little better than before and his kindness really radiated from my computer and phone screen. And for that I already applaud him.

But as I said in the beginning "life is happening for you". Last week or so his name appeared in my inbox again and I mindlessly opened his message thinking he was inquiring about the Timeless' arrival - which he did by the way, but then as I read on he asked for my mailing address...now where did I hear that question being asked before??!

He had went through his collection again and found....drum roll please...my (seemingly unobtainium) birth quarter razor.

And because he did and because he too found it too remarkable that the two of us should virtually meet and that he had my birth quarter razor (I mean seriously, what are the odds of that happening!), he decided that this razor was for me. And to my astonishment it arrived today already!

It is in really pristine condition and the LOTH observed something extra remarkable: the adjustment dial skips the even numbers, right? You know what I am left with: 1 9 7 5 3 - now if that is not karma I don't know what is!

Who this kind, warm and gracious gentleman is, you ask?

Dear B&B brother @Curly Straight - you have made my day and gave me more perspective on life in the process! I thank you deeply from the bottom of my heart - this is a really special gift and a special razor. Again, I am left beyond words and speechless by the generosity and selfless kindness of the B&B community. Humbled and grateful, I have already changed my status to contributor to in part express that gratitude.

This razor will definitely air during my birthday shave, but I intend to use it for other momentous occasions as well - and every time I do I will be sure to tag Cowboy @Curly Straight (the cowboy connotation is at his suggestion!) in honor of my shave.

@Curly Straight, again, wow - bless you and a big big thank you!

Last edited:
I like those. It’s nice to find one with the black handle looking as pristine as that. It’s a really nice gift and now you have quite an enviable shaving den.
Thanks! And this is also the space I had for razor stands so I think the den is about complete. Which I really think it is.

Not counting the Rocca, Athena, Ares, R41GS, etcetera on the wanted list 😬. But I guess that’s why we invented GRUME 😁.

Cheers,

Guido

That is a really nice razor in great condition! Congrats on getting your birth year razor! :thumbsup:

I just shaved with my birth year razor this morning. A Gillette Tech date code H2.

IMG_20221117_111643.jpg
IMG_20221117_111700.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My small razor collection is hmmmm you can never say "complete"... so perhaps, it's at a happy state at the moment. I assembled it quickly.. like I did my brush collection.. but I'm almost 70. I don't have 50 years to gather razors I like along the way.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So...yeah...well...where to begin. Remember when I posted about my first holy grail razor yesterday and I wrote this little cliff hanger:

Well this is another one of those "life is not happening to you, but happening for you" (I believe a quote from Tony Robbins) type of stories.

I reached out to a fellow B&B brother who I knew send razors to Europe to ask what his preferred way and process was so I could relay that information to @Butch Waxx in sending my top-end-big-alpha-dog-do-I-need-another-razor-ever-again razor (paying homage to @never-stop-learning 's razor categories here :001_tt1:). He was super kind and super helpful and in our small conversation I made a typing error (or better stated: was victimized by auto correct!) which read "modern but vintage razor". Obviously, that peaked his attention and our conversation continued with me explaining that that should have read "modern NOT vintage razor" and for me the only "modern but vintage razor" would be a very hard to find Gillette Super Adjustable v3 also known as the Gillette Black Beauty.

He shared some of his story and his amazing collection of vintage razors and even undertook a small search into his collection, but concluded the v3 was not present. And why should it, right? These things rarely pop up on the bay sites and if they do their condition is usually less than desirable. I mean I can look through gunk as such, but there is no knowing if the doors open, if the mechanism works, et cetera right?

I promised to keep him posted when my Timeless arrived - which I did and that was it. He also helped me to cope with this PIF thing a little better than before and his kindness really radiated from my computer and phone screen. And for that I already applaud him.

But as I said in the beginning "life is happening for you". Last week or so his name appeared in my inbox again and I mindlessly opened his message thinking he was inquiring about the Timeless' arrival - which he did by the way, but then as I read on he asked for my mailing address...now where did I hear that question being asked before??!

He had went through his collection again and found....drum roll please...my (seemingly unobtainium) birth quarter razor.

And because he did and because he too found it too remarkable that the two of us should virtually meet and that he had my birth quarter razor (I mean seriously, what are the odds of that happening!), he decided that this razor was for me. And to my astonishment it arrived today already!

It is in really pristine condition and the LOTH observed something extra remarkable: the adjustment dial skips the even numbers, right? You know what I am left with: 1 9 7 5 3 - now if that is not karma I don't know what is!

Who this kind, warm and gracious gentleman is, you ask?

Dear B&B brother @Curly Straight - you have made my day and gave me more perspective on life in the process! I thank you deeply from the bottom of my heart - this is a really special gift and a special razor. Again, I am left beyond words and speechless by the generosity and selfless kindness of the B&B community. Humbled and grateful, I have already changed my status to contributor to in part express that gratitude.

This razor will definitely air during my birthday shave, but I intend to use it for other momentous occasions as well - and every time I do I will be sure to tag Cowboy @Curly Straight (the cowboy connotation is at his suggestion!) in honor of my shave.

@Curly Straight, again, wow - bless you and a big big thank you!
A beautiful Black Beauty. :love-struck:

Very nice addition to your Den, Guido! :)

Way to go @Curly Straight! :thumbup:

There is always another grail.
I would like that contest that statement. I've gone through my fair share of razors. I fact, I am all but financially ruined by letting myself get carried away.

A while ago I aqcuired a Yates 921 H plate and I've been using it almost exclusively.
It's also possible that I finally figured out how to get a decent shave under my belt. But it's the Yates that really stands out for me.

Ofcourse today my Heritage gibbs replica arrived, so I will be using that for a while. But I'm pretty confident and have no need to explore any other options. I can really and honestly say I'm done. I've already sold most of my collection. Some are still up for sale. Very few will be kept.

Grail razors exist!

Congrats BTW, Guido. I know you were looking for this. It looks great, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

All this grail talk makes me want to say it...

only the penitent man will pass

Congrats BTW, Guido. I know you were looking for this.
Thanks Shaun. Yes the universe rallied together and came up with a very fine specimen!
Grail razors exist
I think I agree - I have sought too at various ones and they all shave great, but I tend to agree with the I’m done part.
All this grail talk makes me want to say it...

only the penitent man will pass
Only makes me think of Indiana Jones - my favourite franchise is all time next to Beverly Hills Cop.

1668716884396.gif

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom