What's new

I obtained my final holy grail razor

So...yeah...well...where to begin. Remember when I posted about my first holy grail razor yesterday and I wrote this little cliff hanger:

Well this is another one of those "life is not happening to you, but happening for you" (I believe a quote from Tony Robbins) type of stories.

I reached out to a fellow B&B brother who I knew send razors to Europe to ask what his preferred way and process was so I could relay that information to @Butch Waxx in sending my top-end-big-alpha-dog-do-I-need-another-razor-ever-again razor (paying homage to @never-stop-learning 's razor categories here :001_tt1:). He was super kind and super helpful and in our small conversation I made a typing error (or better stated: was victimized by auto correct!) which read "modern but vintage razor". Obviously, that peaked his attention and our conversation continued with me explaining that that should have read "modern NOT vintage razor" and for me the only "modern but vintage razor" would be a very hard to find Gillette Super Adjustable v3 also known as the Gillette Black Beauty.

He shared some of his story and his amazing collection of vintage razors and even undertook a small search into his collection, but concluded the v3 was not present. And why should it, right? These things rarely pop up on the bay sites and if they do their condition is usually less than desirable. I mean I can look through gunk as such, but there is no knowing if the doors open, if the mechanism works, et cetera right?

I promised to keep him posted when my Timeless arrived - which I did and that was it. He also helped me to cope with this PIF thing a little better than before and his kindness really radiated from my computer and phone screen. And for that I already applaud him.

But as I said in the beginning "life is happening for you". Last week or so his name appeared in my inbox again and I mindlessly opened his message thinking he was inquiring about the Timeless' arrival - which he did by the way, but then as I read on he asked for my mailing address...now where did I hear that question being asked before??!

He had went through his collection again and found....drum roll please...my (seemingly unobtainium) birth quarter razor.

And because he did and because he too found it too remarkable that the two of us should virtually meet and that he had my birth quarter razor (I mean seriously, what are the odds of that happening!), he decided that this razor was for me. And to my astonishment it arrived today already!

It is in really pristine condition and the LOTH observed something extra remarkable: the adjustment dial skips the even numbers, right? You know what I am left with: 1 9 7 5 3 - now if that is not karma I don't know what is!

Who this kind, warm and gracious gentleman is, you ask?

Dear B&B brother @Curly Straight - you have made my day and gave me more perspective on life in the process! I thank you deeply from the bottom of my heart - this is a really special gift and a special razor. Again, I am left beyond words and speechless by the generosity and selfless kindness of the B&B community. Humbled and grateful, I have already changed my status to contributor to in part express that gratitude.

This razor will definitely air during my birthday shave, but I intend to use it for other momentous occasions as well - and every time I do I will be sure to tag Cowboy @Curly Straight (the cowboy connotation is at his suggestion!) in honor of my shave.

@Curly Straight, again, wow - bless you and a big big thank you!
Final? Nope. The fact is that for people like us there is no end to the madness. As soon as you think you have found your grail razor, you will inevitably see another one you must have. The rabbit hole we all dive into is akin to M.C. Eschers' works, no endpoint. Once you are on the mobius path there is no escape.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't know..... Rabbit holes have at least two entrances.... so if you go down one... you can eventually come out the other side somewhere.

I bought quite a few brushes as I explored the various knot types. I knew when I was "done"....

I'm at that place with razors now. It's well documented how many I purchased over a few weeks. It was an odd circumstance. I had the cash in my hobby fund so I used it. But I feel a sense of contentment at the moment. Will I never buy another brush or razor? I'm not making that promise but the desires have abated.

Will there be another rabbit hole waiting for me? I guess you never know, but when I evaluate my gear, I don't see a buying frenzy coming up for anything at the moment.

I don't know..... Rabbit holes have at least two entrances.... so if you go down one... you can eventually come out the other side somewhere.

I bought quite a few brushes as I explored the various knot types. I knew when I was "done"....

I'm at that place with razors now. It's well documented how many I purchased over a few weeks. It was an odd circumstance. I had the cash in my hobby fund so I used it. But I feel a sense of contentment at the moment. Will I never buy another brush or razor? I'm not making that promise but the desires have abated.

Will there be another rabbit hole waiting for me? I guess you never know, but when I evaluate my gear, I don't see a buying frenzy coming up for anything at the moment.
Denial will get you nowhere. Easier to submit than fight it. :)

Final? Nope. The fact is that for people like us there is no end to the madness. As soon as you think you have found your grail razor, you will inevitably see another one you must have. The rabbit hole we all dive into is akin to M.C. Eschers' works, no endpoint. Once you are on the mobius path there is no escape.
You might certainly be right. What I personally feel right now is that my RAD has significantly toned down. Will I never buy a razor again? No, I probably will. But it feels relaxed now. Like Kim said:
I'm at that place with razors now.
Same with blades. I will buy smaller quantities, but overall I am where I want to be. I might turn my attention more to brushes now 😁.

But again the mobius analogy I totally get.

Guido

Congratulations on the find!
Very cool story!
As others, I was amused at your thread title.
Doesn't match the typical theme here on B&B, LOL!!
Maybe something like this for next time:

I obtained my final holy grail razor (again)​

or

I obtained my final (for now) holy grail razor​

or

I obtained (what I think will be) my final holy grail razor​

Lots of possible combinations🤣

Seriously, enjoy the razor,
LRod

Yeah well Larry @LRod what can I say😁. I have two holy grail razors now, so at least I am on the safe side. And I think I dubbed my Fatip Piccolo as holy grail in some other threads earlier too. Might have said the same thing about my Flatboy.

Oh no! I picked the wrong thread title!! :lol:

Thanks man! She shaves devine.

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Congratulations on the find!
Very cool story!
As others, I was amused at your thread title.
Doesn't match the typical theme here on B&B, LOL!!
Maybe something like this for next time:

I obtained my final holy grail razor (again)​

or

I obtained my final (for now) holy grail razor​

or

I obtained (what I think will be) my final holy grail razor​

Lots of possible combinations🤣

Seriously, enjoy the razor,
LRod
I found my next to the last Holy Grail razor... I'm sure... I think.... but then there are the unicorns and Goldilocks razors to find. If I'm lucky, I might find the three bears trilogy as well. <eg>

I found my next to the last Holy Grail razor... I'm sure... I think.... but then there are the unicorns and Goldilocks razors to find. If I'm lucky, I might find the three bears trilogy as well. <eg>
That might be a great distinction in these type of razors: Holy Grail, Unicorn and Goldilocks.

I do have some Unicorns left on my list, but Holy Grail seems to be covered. Lots of Goldilockses around!

Guido

I need to brush up on my razor classification definitions it seems.
Well I believe you are on to something. Just as an idea:

Unicorns are the razors you really like to have or try, but they are harder to get (like your Athena).

Goldilocks razors are similar but are easy to get. This is the dangerous category with rabbit hole safety disclaimers.

Holy Grail is the razor top of your wanted list and that you could shave with the rest of your life because it’s that good. Might be multiple - but usually just one or two. And yes YMMV YMMV YMMV YMMV.

Guido

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Now that Guido is done with the search for the Grail razor, he might start the quest to find the Holy Grail itself.

I am sure he will be the first to find it, and perhaps even multiple Holy Grails Jesus didn't know about. :)

I am sorry to disappoint you. There is no such thing as 'complete'.
Now that Guido is done with the search for the Grail razor, he might start the quest to find the Holy Grail itself.
Figuratively speaking gents…see post #34 - I still have my wish list and razors to try and buy. I just noticed inside that my RAD is currently at bay. It really is. So I have less of that FOMO feeling I had earlier. And this birth quarter razor was definitely causing looking and looming at every auction site imaginable - this saves a lot of time and exposure to other things!

Guido

Figuratively speaking gents…see post #34 - I still have my wish list and razors to try and buy. I just noticed inside that my RAD is currently at bay. It really is. So I have less of that FOMO feeling I had earlier. And this birth quarter razor was definitely causing looking and looming at every auction site imaginable - this saves a lot of time and exposure to other things!

Guido
Hah! My RAD was at bay, and that was for a few years. And then it started again and plummeted to the sky.
Birthday razors you say. Have more than 5. Doesn't mean I would't buy another one. :lol:

Hah! My RAD was at bay, and that was for a few years. And then it started again and plummeted to the sky.
Birthday razors you say. Have more than 5. Doesn't mean I would't buy another one. :lol:
Haha! Fortunately for me, my birthday is 1975 - so less temptation from DE razors as cartridges were on the rise by then.

And I still have a lot of years of DE shaving in front of me - so I can only imagine where my collection is heading.

Haha! Fortunately for me, my birthday is 1975 - so less temptation from DE razors as cartridges were on the rise by then.

And I still have a lot of years of DE shaving in front of me - so I can only imagine where my collection is heading.
I really hope you also have a lot of money in front of you. :lol: The shaving things continue burning a huge hole in my pocket. There is no way out. Just yesterday caught a Parat. :taz:

Top Bottom