What's new

I now own a traditional 8 yard wool kilt

USA Kilts customer service is the best.

To rectify the sizing they want me to take new waist and hip measurements, take photos from front, back, and each side. Then we can figure how to get it to them so they can resize the kilt. First resizing is free.

I then will take the belt to a cobbler to have more loop (Velcro) added so it will go small enough :)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

To rectify the sizing they want me to take new waist and hip measurements, take photos from front, back, and each side. Then we can figure how to get it to them so they can resize the kilt. First resizing is free.

I then will take the belt to a cobbler to have more loop (Velcro) added so it will go small enough :)
They have been a pleasure to work with!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

I've dropped $7000 in purchases on their web site and got my first partial shipment Saturday. Unfortunately two of the items they sent were clearly and unmistakably incorrect. I've dropped them an email and hopefully they'll get back to me today. I'm hopeful it was just a one off and isn't a portent of things to come. They've been very responsive to questions I've had so far.

I've dropped $7000 in purchases on their web site and got my first partial shipment Saturday. Unfortunately two of the items they sent were clearly and unmistakably incorrect. I've dropped them an email and hopefully they'll get back to me today. I'm hopeful it was just a one off and isn't a portent of things to come. They've been very responsive to questions I've had so far.

Hope they make it right quicklyi just received my Sgain Dubh from Sundown Forge. $165.00 shipped.

I had to wait for Mike Wall to make the blade

Attachments

• IMG_20210913_105039239.jpg
    IMG_20210913_105039239.jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 12

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hope they make it right quicklyi just received my Sgain Dubh from Sundown Forge. $165.00 shipped.

I had to wait for Mike Wall to make the blade
They contacted me first thing this morning and made it right!

That's a gorgeous blade!

So not having the funds to order another new eight yard kilt I went and ordered two kilts from a rental outfit (Black Watch and Royal Stewart tartans).

Buying tuxedos, Tuxedo vests, Kilts and other clothing from a rental place is a great way to save massive amounts of money and still get a quality product. The Tux vests I purchased years ago retailed around$150.00, but I bought them for around $50.00.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So not having the funds to order another new eight yard kilt I went and ordered two kilts from a rental outfit (Black Watch and Royal Stewart tartans).

Buying tuxedos, Tuxedo vests, Kilts and other clothing from a rental place is a great way to save massive amounts of money and still get a quality product. The Tux vests I purchased years ago retailed around$150.00, but I bought them for around $50.00.
Great idea!
I have marriage related family that are Irish, so the Black Watch is out, but the Stewart's are kind of allies to my clan.

Black Watch can be worn by any Veteran of the Armed Forces. I think you qualify.

Black Watch is also a Scottish tartan

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Black Watch can be worn by any Veteran of the Armed Forces. I think you qualify.

Black Watch is also a Scottish tartan
Yeah, it's that as a British Military Unit tartan, it evokes unfavorable emotions in some Irish circles due to the conflict during "the troubles".
Admittedly, that's an American Irish thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's that as a British Military Unit tartan, it evokes unfavorable emotions in some Irish circles due to the conflict during "the troubles".
Admittedly, that's an American Irish thing.

I get it, as I am familiar with the conflicts between the Irish and British.

My kilt is resized and headed back to me... funny that in the time between ordering and receiving the kilt (about 16 weeks) I lost three inches so the kilt at its tightest fell off (thank goodness it was while I was at home)....

It is amazing the comments when one goes kilted in our rural area, and the looks (some approving, some of "is that dude crazy?")

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My kilt is resized and headed back to me... funny that in the time between ordering and receiving the kilt (about 16 weeks) I lost three inches so the kilt at its tightest fell off (thank goodness it was while I was at home)....

It is amazing the comments when one goes kilted in our rural area, and the looks (some approving, some of "is that dude crazy?")
I've ordered 8 yard kilts in my clan tartan in Modern, Modern muted, Modern Hunting, and Ancient.
Received the Modern Muted and Ancient yesterday and wore the Muted around the house and yard today with a black woolly pully and short combat boots.
If I'd known how comfortable these are, I would have done this 20 years ago.
Even with temps in the low 40's, I was comfortable in the 16oz wool.

I've ordered 8 yard kilts in my clan tartan in Modern, Modern muted, Modern Hunting, and Ancient.
Received the Modern Muted and Ancient yesterday and wore the Muted around the house and yard today with a black woolly pully and short combat boots.
If I'd known how comfortable these are, I would have done this 20 years ago.
Even with temps in the low 40's, I was comfortable in the 16oz wool.
Went for haircuts for the family and grocery getting today wearing my Gray hunting Ancient hose flashes, green hose, Black Watch Modern acrylic kilt from Atlanta Kilts (a used rental model), my kilt belt clan crest buckle, Hunting sporran and strap from USA Kilts, my 11 inch Afghan issue British Rifles Gurkha Kurkri on my side, Florishiem wingtips, a white Mandarin collar tux shirt with a red Cardi tapestry vest.

Got one compliment, and many strange looks .... keeping in mind this is a very rural area.

I just drove Portland-Spokane and back. I will confirm that Boardman still seems rural. I love to drive the byway through Irrigon along the Columbia. It is such a different feel right down by the river.

There are rumors of a Christmas utilikilt...

Nice! I don't know if I have the courage to go out just yet!
I had one lady probably in her 40s come up to me and say "it is nice to see a man wearing a kilt; my husband wears a kilt".
And I had many looks of disapproval, but that could be because I was also exercising my right to not adorn my face with a veil.

I used to wear kilts often. I haven't in years. I still have my families tartans and all accessories. I have kilts ranging from great kilts to sport and utility kits... Also I stuck true and would never say whether I was traditional or regimental under.. I also had some neutral kilts that I would wear out sometimes that were not related to any clan so that there was no chance of the family colors being dishonored / disrespected and having to defend them....

Last edited:
Top Bottom