What's new

I now have TAD: tie acquisition disorder

i've purchased about 6 ties in the last week and I don't see myself slowing down. I don't really need anymore ties but I feel compelled to buy them because I want to expand my tie color palette. today was a pretty good haul. I went to the thrift store and someone unloaded a buttload of Brooks Brothers ties, so I got two BB paisley ties (one red and one blue), a maroon paisley Christian Dior tie and a pink paisley tommy hilfiger tie (still new with the original $50 price tag on it). the quality feels pretty nice and I got them all for the sum of $7. I also got a couple of ties from Macy's since they seem to be having a perpetual tie sale - got a pink DKNY tie and a mauve/lavender/floral Hugo Boss tie because they were both heavily discounted.

I have to say, I usually don't have much luck when it comes to thrifting, but today was a pretty good day for a change. most used ties I come across look like they've been to hell and back, so i'm glad I found some decent brands today for next to nothing.

I think 4 paisley ties should about cover it - are there any other must-have colors/motifs/patterns I should look for when i'm about and about?

I scored a freebie bag of about 40 ties at a charity clothing recycling event. There were some really nice ones in there ... Italian silk, hand-made, name-brand stuff. I also got a brand-new pair of G.W. Bass shoes, some almost brand new Dockers gabardine pants, some oxford shirts, a few sweaters, a sports jacket and a windbreaker. All for free.

That was about 6 years ago, and the 40 ties have seen a lot of use in that time. Some I wear more than others, obviously ... and some were stained so badly that I couldn't wear them at all.

I've never really found a good way to clean ties at home ... any suggestions?

fortunately, I don't own any ties that need cleaning. I assumed this was a tricky thing to do, but taking your tie to the dry cleaner wouldn't be of much help either.

i've purchased about 6 ties in the last week and I don't see myself slowing down. I don't really need anymore ties but I feel compelled to buy them because I want to expand my tie color palette. today was a pretty good haul. I went to the thrift store and someone unloaded a buttload of Brooks Brothers ties, so I got two BB paisley ties (one red and one blue), a maroon paisley Christian Dior tie and a pink paisley tommy hilfiger tie (still new with the original $50 price tag on it). the quality feels pretty nice and I got them all for the sum of $7. I also got a couple of ties from Macy's since they seem to be having a perpetual tie sale - got a pink DKNY tie and a mauve/lavender/floral Hugo Boss tie because they were both heavily discounted.

I have to say, I usually don't have much luck when it comes to thrifting, but today was a pretty good day for a change. most used ties I come across look like they've been to hell and back, so i'm glad I found some decent brands today for next to nothing.

I think 4 paisley ties should about cover it - are there any other must-have colors/motifs/patterns I should look for when i'm about and about?

I have paisley ties which are suitable for weddings and funerals. Everything I am called upon to do. You can't go wrong with Paisley ties.

fortunately, I don't own any ties that need cleaning. I assumed this was a tricky thing to do, but taking your tie to the dry cleaner wouldn't be of much help either.
Yeah, I know that dry cleaners will do it ... but I hate the idea of spending several dollars to maintain something that I got for free.

I have paisley ties which are suitable for weddings and funerals. Everything I am called upon to do. You can't go wrong with Paisley ties.
I dress like a slob at work, since I'm in a blue-collar job and i get dirty, but when I'm on MY time, I pay more attention to how I'm dressed.

When I go out clubbing, I like to wear a solid color, button-down shirt and tie, that's my default style. Most of the other guys at the club are in jeans and designer t-shirts, but that doesn't work for me. So I'm set apart as being a little more upscale than the others, and wearing a tie has become sort of a trademark for me. Women that see me there as a regular, but don't know my name, know me as "that tie guy."

Also, if I have business to conduct, like going to a bank to open a new account or apply for a loan, or even going to the DMV to renew my driver's license, I like to dress up for that. It helps to present a more professional appearance to the person behind the desk, and it helps me to stay focused on the task at hand.

Even when I went to Bankruptcy court many years ago, I was appalled at the way the other petitioners were dressed ... some looked as if they had just rolled out of bed, or they were in clothes that were thread-bare, worn through at the knees, and looked like they hadn't been washed in a month. One person was wearing his Biker Gang colors. Most of the men hadn't bothered to shave for several days, and one of the women showed up with her hair in curlers.

C'mon, people! This is a Federal court, and this is how you're going to present yourself?

While my attorney advised me not to wear any jewelry or show up in an Armani suit, she did suggest that I be neat and clean, shine my shoes, get a haircut, etc. All common sense, as far as I was concerned. I was going to do that anyway, whether she gave me that advice or not.

Last edited:
I've got around 80 ties. I pick most of them up at Charity shops. Some great bargains to be found.

I would probably thrift more ties if there wasn't so much garbage buried in the piles I come across. the 1 thrift store I go to the most has 2 racks of ties - it's not too much and not too little. when I go to Goodwill there are usually 2-3 racks and a few bins full of worthless ties to sift through. after 5 minutes i've lost all interest. yesterday's finds gave me hope, especially after seeing a lot of Brooks Brothers, Christian Dior and Savile Row.

Before Katrina (I live in New Orleans), there used to be a tie factory called Harken Tie Outlet. They would have unadvertised tie sales near Father's Day and Christmas. You would literally walk into a factory with people making ties by hand from bolts of silk. The funny thing is that they would be labeled with various maker's tags. Same ties, different brand names. They would charge $5 per tie (all silk ties), or, if you bought twenty or more, they were $3 each. I'd go twice a year and get twenty ties for $60! And they always had XL length which I need.

All of those nice ties were submerged by Katrina, and now I find it hard to spend regular prices for ties.

You've got to mine alot of ore to find a diamond. I've got a couple of Charity shops me that do yield some good ties though. Last vist I managed to pick up about 7 ties in excellent condition which included a Boss and a Zegna.

You've got to mine alot of ore to find a diamond. I've got a couple of Charity shops me that do yield some good ties though. Last vist I managed to pick up about 7 ties in excellent condition which included a Boss and a Zegna.

this is true. I did score myself a Zegna and Boss tie while thrifting so it certainly is possible.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Sounds like you haven't even gotten into bow ties yet. That's where the fun really begins. For some reason women really dig these. They always go out of their way to talk to me about mine and always want to know if I tie it myself. Since I don't have a chamber assistant, I tie them myself.

Must be something in the weather, I’ve just ordered five silk ties, three neck and two bow. With eight bow ties and two neck ties, the rack is a bit unbalanced, I want to even it out some. Can’t get into stripes or dots or little dogs or boats or what have you, it solid colors or woven jacquards, though paisleys have started looking better and there was this silk twill bow tie called “Dunhill” printed with various pipe shapes that appealed to me, I am a pipe smoker.

I’d love being able to find ties that fit in a thrift store, having a 21” neck even what they call “Extra Long” ties are too short which rules out department stores and name brands as well. Needing a neck tie that’s 74” long to tie a full Windsor, I have them custom made, local tailors wanted $150.00 per tie, and then I found Beau Ties of Vermont.

First time ordering a non-standard length neck tie, there’s a onetime fee of $25 for a custom pattern, after that any neck tie is $5.00 more than the listed price. $45 - $60 per silk tie is much better than $150.

I've been on a tie binge as well. So freaking dangerous!

Neiman Marcus' Last Call is having an extra 25% discount on their sale items, so, a lot of the ties by Ferragamo, Kiton, Brioni & Armani are pretty cheap. unfortunately, they're going pretty fast so all of the good colors/patterns have been snatched up.

I went through necktie binges for a good period. As a result, I have over thirty neckties, and find myself wearing the same five or ten the most. I bought most of them at Macy's when they had them for sale at around ten dollars or so (usually around a One Day Sale or big clearance event.) A few were gifted to me from one of the reps from private label. Most of my favorite ones have been Jerry Garcia, and just about any with a bold color/pattern. If anyone is able to, try sample sales as well. Although I ran the risk of buying damaged goods (which are only good if they can be mended/modified) I found one tie at three dollars at work. As for my next desired acquisition is a Burberry necktie. I fell in love with the tie since buying Stereotype Be by Kevin Max.

I only buy new clothes, its why I'm broke all the time.

Same goes for ties. Digging through bins of rubbish for over an hour to find one nice tie for $10-20 or walk into a shop I know, grab something I like from a new designer I want to support in less then 10 mins for $70, the latter just makes sense.

I scored a freebie bag of about 40 ties at a charity clothing recycling event. There were some really nice ones in there ... Italian silk, hand-made, name-brand stuff. I also got a brand-new pair of G.W. Bass shoes, some almost brand new Dockers gabardine pants, some oxford shirts, a few sweaters, a sports jacket and a windbreaker. All for free.

That was about 6 years ago, and the 40 ties have seen a lot of use in that time. Some I wear more than others, obviously ... and some were stained so badly that I couldn't wear them at all.

woolite and water.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I only buy new clothes, its why I'm broke all the time.

Same goes for ties. Digging through bins of rubbish for over an hour to find one nice tie for $10-20 or walk into a shop I know, grab something I like from a new designer I want to support in less then 10 mins for $70, the latter just makes sense.

Let me refer you to your first sentence. It sums up why the later does NOT make sense for those of us who prefer to spend an hour or two to save a hundred or two on things that often still have tags on. It's not that often that I make $100 an hour, so when I can save that much in an hour I am happy.

Thrift shopping isn't for everyone and until my wife taught me the ropes I was completely turned off by it. When I worked in the office of a machine shop I was glad to have most of my work pants from the thrift store, as they occasionally got damaged when going through the shop, or receiving materials, etc.

And now that I am taking a couple of years to drive around the country in an 18 wheeler with my wife, I am one of the best dressed truckers on the road, and it pays. I recently had an overweight condition in NJ and the customer was closed for the weekend. However, one of the VP's was there in the front office and he came to the door when I knocked. Since I didn't look like your average truck driver, we got talking but he made it clear that they were closed. I complimented him on his Movado watch and said I was a bit of a watch freak, he looked at my watch and said, "Yes, I see." Next thing I knew he said he would make a phone call and about an hour later, I was rolling.

Top Bottom