What's new

I Never Swirled

Are you a Swirler

• Are

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Are you a Mad Man

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
I’m a dry cap dude. The daily V60 is for my wife. By the time I saw Hoffman’s swirl, I was already stirring like a madman. I was using the handle of an espresso spoon. I’ve upped my game with a small egg beater whisk which really rocks. Pilot Roasters Heritage blend from Toronto are the beans we’ve been using for the last two years. Fed-exd the day after roast. I purchase five pound bags and freeze the beans in mason jars. The 420 grams water 31.5 grams beans produce a velvety soft mouth feel complemented by chocolate with caramel, nutty notes. Baratza Virtuoso single dose grind at #19.

Into pre heated vessels.(filter rinse) Water @195F approx. First pour 140-160 grams with a moderate stir for blooming. Second pour after 60 secs. 140-160 grams moderate to mad man stir. It is ok, necessary and recommended to pour along and on the filter paper only to this point. The slurry bed is now established after the mad man stir, do not pour on the filter paper for remaining pours. I visually watch how the slurry is drawing down and finish with one to three pours to come to my total 420 grams. My total draw down times vary from 5:05 to 6:..... it takes what it takes.

Obviously there are more precise and accurate recipes. I wrote this piece for the frustrated newbies who are freaking because they over poured by .1 gram and they are going to wake up at 3:00am in a cold sweat wondering if they blew it with that .1 error. It is a science of course but does not have to be dead nuts accurate unless your in a Barista World Championship. A consistent routine and recipe staying within reasonable boundaries can and will produce a delightful cup.

I’m a dry cap dude. The daily V60 is for my wife. By the time I saw Hoffman’s swirl, I was already stirring like a madman. I was using the handle of an espresso spoon. I’ve upped my game with a small egg beater whisk which really rocks. Pilot Roasters Heritage blend from Toronto are the beans we’ve been using for the last two years. Fed-exd the day after roast. I purchase five pound bags and freeze the beans in mason jars. The 420 grams water 31.5 grams beans produce a velvety soft mouth feel complemented by chocolate with caramel, nutty notes. Baratza Virtuoso single dose grind at #19.

Into pre heated vessels.(filter rinse) Water @195F approx. First pour 140-160 grams with a moderate stir for blooming. Second pour after 60 secs. 140-160 grams moderate to mad man stir. It is ok, necessary and recommended to pour along and on the filter paper only to this point. The slurry bed is now established after the mad man stir, do not pour on the filter paper for remaining pours. I visually watch how the slurry is drawing down and finish with one to three pours to come to my total 420 grams. My total draw down times vary from 5:05 to 6:..... it takes what it takes.

Obviously there are more precise and accurate recipes. I wrote this piece for the frustrated newbies who are freaking because they over poured by .1 gram and they are going to wake up at 3:00am in a cold sweat wondering if they blew it with that .1 error. It is a science of course but does not have to be dead nuts accurate unless your in a Barista World Championship. A consistent routine and recipe staying within reasonable boundaries can and will produce a delightful cup.

Attachments

• D39956E6-123C-450E-B068-90CD17E4143C.jpeg
    D39956E6-123C-450E-B068-90CD17E4143C.jpeg
    911.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 4E9DEE77-A54E-4EF9-941B-FFC6AD5FD95A.jpeg
    4E9DEE77-A54E-4EF9-941B-FFC6AD5FD95A.jpeg
    670.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 7C88D278-6229-473D-8561-8D8C6B35FBE0.jpeg
    7C88D278-6229-473D-8561-8D8C6B35FBE0.jpeg
    851.4 KB · Views: 18
I voted before I read the post. I thought this was about shave brushes. 😂

Coffee looks amazing btw!
Thank you for reading. I always seem to post and then have to re-edit or adjust. You can change your vote if you want to be a Mad MAN, I am also an animal hair swirler.

Thank you for reading. I always seem to post and then have to re-edit or adjust. You can change your vote if you want to be a Mad MAN, I am also an animal hair swirler.

I love coffee and every time I try to make it it’s just not that good. Love watching others do it though!

I tried to remove the vote but can’t, only can change it. If a mod sees this and can manually remove it to keep your data pure then so be it!

I love coffee and every time I try to make it it’s just not that good. Love watching others do it though!

I tried to remove the vote but can’t, only can change it. If a mod sees this and can manually remove it to keep your data pure then so be it!
I think I had the posting doubled and I was trying to edit and probably maybe not sure what the hell I was trying to do. I think the bots removed one posting all seems to be good. The poll is just a fun thing for interest and conversation. Sometimes I end up getting more fun then I need. lol

I use a pour-over every morning and have no idea what you just said...
Three years ago I was also living the dream until my Krups grinder folded due to my neglect. I went on line to check out grinders and fell down a rabbit hole called coffee. Just when I thought life was good and couldn’t get any better I fell down another rabbit hole called De shaving. Everyone knows you only need one razor. Why do I have nine, probably the same reason I have three coffee grinders. I love rabbit holes.

Attachments

• 8ABD9891-1727-4463-B2BF-3AEFCFB2E576.jpeg
    8ABD9891-1727-4463-B2BF-3AEFCFB2E576.jpeg
    847.1 KB · Views: 14

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Here in Australia we mainly use Instant Coffee. I have branched out to Moka Pots, pour over and now I have a Vitoria Coffee machine. This has all come about due to joining this Shaving Forum. With my pour over I measure nothing. I place a couple of teaspoons into the filter paper and pour over the hot water with a small goose neck pourer. Some of my beans are way out of date when I use them. Maybe I am missing out not being a little more precise with my measurements.

Here in Australia we mainly use Instant Coffee. I have branched out to Moka Pots, pour over and now I have a Vitoria Coffee machine. This has all come about due to joining this Shaving Forum. With my pour over I measure nothing. I place a couple of teaspoons into the filter paper and pour over the hot water with a small goose neck pourer. Some of my beans are way out of date when I use them. Maybe I am missing out not being a little more precise with my measurements.
I brewed pour over Malita for close to four decades only using scoop measure and was totally happy. It’s only when I went down the coffee rabbit hole and started exploring. Just the same as the De shaving rabbit hole, I had one razor going down that hole. A new world opened up.

I do not understand the poll. Isn't a Swirler (assuming that is a person who constantly stirs the coffee bed with a spoon) a Mad Man? :)

I let my coffee bloom for a while and then pretty much constantly pour, letting the water stir things up a little. The constant pour also helps to prevent the bed of coffee from settling too much and blocking the drip. If I make the mistake of pouring too near the edge of the V60 too soon which pushes too much coffee lower down into the funnel and blocks the drip, then I will stir or uplift the coffee bed as a way to recover and finish.

I do not understand the poll. Isn't a Swirler (assuming that is a person who constantly stirs the coffee bed with a spoon) a Mad Man? :)

I let my coffee bloom for a while and then pretty much constantly pour, letting the water stir things up a little. The constant pour also helps to prevent the bed of coffee from settling too much and blocking the drip. If I make the mistake of pouring too near the edge of the V60 too soon which pushes too much coffee lower down into the funnel and blocks the drip, then I will stir or uplift the coffee bed as a way to recover and finish.
My experience with the V60 is that it is quite accommodating with different techniques and recipes. The first time I saw the stirring method was an Aussie you tube video and he looked like a mad man when he was stirring, and I have been using it ever since as I’ve described. This works best for me because I use a stand. The latest James Hoffman swirl video has been the rage with many V60 brewers.
That is why I posted my experience wondering how many swirlers are out there. I’m also surprised at the number of variations used with the V60. Of course the final cup is what counts.

My experience with the V60 is that it is quite accommodating with different techniques and recipes. The first time I saw the stirring method was an Aussie you tube video and he looked like a mad man when he was stirring, and I have been using it ever since as I’ve described. This works best for me because I use a stand. The latest James Hoffman swirl video has been the rage with many V60 brewers.
That is why I posted my experience wondering how many swirlers are out there. I’m also surprised at the number of variations used with the V60. Of course the final cup is what counts.
Good video presentation. Though I did not care much (I don't think it matters very much) for the swirling after the final pour because most of the brewing has already occurred. And because it can otherwise hide problems in the pouring. By that I mean when doing a full pour in either the 01 or 02 size brewer the stream of water enters at a slight angle. That depending on the height of the kettle spout and rate of pour, the far side of the coffee bed will experience more agitation than the near side, which will be seen as an uneven coffee bed once the final drawdown has finished. I try to pour from all sides to avoid that issue (which a periodic stir might also avoid). I have looked online for a tiny lazy-susan to sit under my thermos when I max out the v60 volume, but do not have anything yet.

To "stir up" my normal v60 routine, after watching that video I tried using a spoon to stir the coffee bed towards the end of pre-infusion. I disliked the result in that it causes the coffee bed to collapse on itself and the remainder of the brewing process takes an extra 1-2 minutes to complete. I tried grinding a little coarser a few times but the flow was still slower than I expected.

But it was helpful as it showed that my usual technique was at the edge of adding enough water to pre-infuse the coffee bed. Meaning sometimes I was leaving a small portion of the coffee dry until the the main pour. I am usually brewing coffee that is 1-2 weeks old so the bloom is sometimes like a volcano erupting, sometimes big enough to be a distraction from adding just a little more water.

Top Bottom