What's new

I need your opinions on this prototype

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Now about a razor brush stand for the collectors....
I would think of a modular stacked ring design on a heavy rotating base so you would get something like a chuppachup lollipop stand. With the difference that layers can be added when needed. Ideal a brush slot size with a silicone adapter to razor handle size.
Just an inspiration pick and although I am Dutch would never buy Delfts blue ;-)
I can't imagine something like that being something I could afford, but it is a PHENOMENAL idea. Thanks.

I am pretty sure someone who can make a good design for 3 d printing can make them for relative cheap.
There is some thinkering needed to nest the layers and make them lock
In ceramics it is a lot more challenging

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I guess leaving subjective criticism aside, i dont think i like the hole in the side. I get what you are going for but that wouldn't be something id buy even if i was in the market for something like that.

If you are decent in woodworking you can skunk work one
Make thick wooden rings approx 2 inch thick 5-6 inch diameter
Drill 4 holes 30-45 angle in the outer rim to accept a pvc pipe 1 inch 4 inch long. Make a smaller circle to fit between the pipes.
Make another layer of pipes and stack them 45 deg rotated

I assume the razors handles will fit the 1 inch pvc pipe

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I like the new design but would prefer the razors to hang vertically rather than angled outwards. You say the hanger is to hang the damp brush, so presumably for after use, while the brush is drying. My issue is that the next time I am ready to shave, the next brush in my rotation will not be in the stand. In any case I stand my brush by the open window to dry after use. The product is better, but I prefer to have to hand all my razors and brushes as I select them literally on the spur of the moment as I am filling the sink with water. I cannot store enough hardware in this nor can I fit it on my window sill or bathroom counter top. I like the idea of the central storage space but if the product is kept in a steamy bathroom then I would not keep straights in it as they should be kept dry. Again, for what it is, it is good, but I have no requirement for this. I do think it will sell though. Good luck with it.

Good news here, we have decided to move forward with the product. I do appreciate each of you taking the time to be candid with your feedback - thanks.

I have been in touch with the factory regarding the razors hanging vertically. They are going to address it on this first short production run. It is a ticklish thing - if the top is flat that becomes a weakness when they are fired in the kiln. A rounded off top edge ensures strength. So they are going to strike a middle ground that maintains the strength and yet hopefully allows razors to hang vertically. It may be that the slot the razor is inserted into will be ever so slightly deeper.

Good news here, we have decided to move forward with the product. I do appreciate each of you taking the time to be candid with your feedback - thanks.

I have been in touch with the factory regarding the razors hanging vertically. They are going to address it on this first short production run. It is a ticklish thing - if the top is flat that becomes a weakness when they are fired in the kiln. A rounded off top edge ensures strength. So they are going to strike a middle ground that maintains the strength and yet hopefully allows razors to hang vertically. It may be that the slot the razor is inserted into will be ever so slightly deeper.

Thanks for being open for criticism and allowing us to share our preferences.

Good news, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Brother, I just had to tell you that I wish you would post more often, lol.

The reason is your avatar! Every time I see it I almost belly laugh. That creature reminds me of what I suppose a baby Bigfoot looks like in the middle of a peaceful dream.

I sometimes look at my cats sleep and it is one of the most beautiful, peaceful easy feelings I ever get.

Lol, not sorry for the thread derailment Gents, it's just one of my many gifts.

Side effect of having no teeth 🤣. Thanks. I see that little face everyday and still laugh at the tongue sticking out. I don't think it will ever get old

I've thought about this process in a slightly different light since listening to your interview on that podcast you shared a while back. Glad you are going ahead with it. Looking forward to seeing a finished product - that gunmetal is sharp!

*Slot edges need to be radiused to minimize the chance for scratches and should be large enough to hold large handled DE's.
*5 slots look right.
*Base on the left appears less likely to chip.
*Definitely needs a floor in the center or eliminate the center cavity altogether.
*$30 would be about right.
*I would probably buy one.

I do like the improvements you made but still not enough for me to buy one. I still think it is a waste of counter space. I still like my thoughts of something that could be hung on the wall that holds a few razors and a brush or two, that I would be interested in. But that is just me.

Good luck!

I had the picture with the toothbrush/toothpaste in the center pop up on my Facebook page and it dawned on me, just wondering if you had thought about the safety on that item if those razors had blades in them? I didn't think about it when you had posted it earlier but I was thinking if the razor that was facing me had a blade in it and I was reaching for something in the center and a part of my hand/finger hit the razor I would likely cut myself.

Thanks Dean, good question. You mentioned the Facebook feedback from others. To see what Dean is referring to just click here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/captainschoiceproducts/posts/?ref=page_internal

The toothpaste / toothbrush was a last minute addition to illustrate storage ability. It was all we had at hand on short notice. For the product shots in our store there will be tubes of shaving cream inside which is more logical. The interior can also be filled in with whatever and that will raise the products up higher making it easier to grasp.

We anticipate that all four razors will have blades in them. I think it would be natural to remove the razor closest to you and then reach inside for the tube of shaving cream, reaching past the now empty slot. Or maybe you grab the tub of soap over on the counter.

I wanted this to be a more "finger friendly" alternative to the common storage rack below. Guys buy them and they are popular. It will probably be forever missing on me, the appeal of this style. If you want to be up close and personal with a lot of blades this is the way to do it. And the head with blade will be in close proximity to your fingers. And you need to use both hands any way you try.

In the case of our unique design you only use one hand. The bonus is that you only grasp the end of the handle, avoiding the head of the razor altogether. That is the beauty of it, that ours is safer.

Compare the two here. Visualize getting a razor for your morning shave. I believe ours has a number of advantages.

il_794xN.2084350138_8ex0.jpg

IMG_3046.jpeg

Last edited:
Razor Caddy update, gents:

We now have the listing on our site with (preliminary) photo and description: All Products — Captain's Choice - https://www.captainschoicestore.com/all

We did not think we would have them for a month. Based on correspondence with the factory we may have them available this coming Friday, May 8!

This is the first production run and it is a short run. We have promoted this on our Facebook and Instagram feeds. I'll be candid and say that based on the feedback here and those two platforms that this first run will sell out. Badger and Blade is where we got our start as a small company ten years ago so you guys get first dibs. We will hold off announcing it on the other two platforms until the following day on Saturday, May 9. So check our site this coming Friday to ensure you get one before they are gone.

If you do miss out, not to worry. We will have them back in stock after the next firing, probably in July.

A first picture all glossy glazed up for you:

Top Bottom