What's new

I need your opinions on this prototype

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is a "niche" item. But we all know that plenty of folks in the "community" like things that others don't have and are shiny. This will sell.

I might be a little late to this one, but for what it’s worth-

1) I like it. I’d have no problem with having one on my sink. Ideally, for me, it would have 3-4 slots for razors, and a slot for a brush.

2) I think 5 slots looks best, if not including a brush slot.

3) While I visually prefer the one on the left, I can see it getting easily chipped, so as a practical choice, I’d pick the one on the right

4) The interior should have a floor for storage.

5) Knowing that the bowl sells for $30, expecting to pay the same or less for this item is unrealistic. I would expect it to sell in the $40 to $50 range to make it profitable. It seems like more work is involved.

6) Yes! I would buy one.

Well Gents, I have a revised prototype for you to review.

Tell me what you think @FarmerTan, @Lightcs1776, @02flhtci, @ackvil, @skibik, @Frozenshades, @stone and strop, @DocPapi, @RookieGuy, @Marhos24, @gvw755, @Rhody, @vacman, @MTG Jr, @GRUNTSHAVE, @Tedolph, @Suhrim21, @ouchyfoot, @AshleyQ, @Razorburne, @EclipseRedRing, @shave/brush, @It's Hedley, @Ron R, @Cphobes, @Whiterook, @Timeclo, @Aaron Hall, @Toothpick, @Gringo_Chulo, @BigD, @KeenDogg

Here is what has been amended:

~ It has the bottom lip of the one on the left in the original picture. Opinions were divided so I picked that one.

~ It was made taller to accommodate a razor up to 4 1/4" in length. That is a Feather with black handle that is 4 1/4" long.

~ It has a floor in it for the convenience of being able to store other items. Toothpaste and toothbrush are featured. The toothbrush is sitting in a holder (not seen) but the bottom can be rigged to your own personal needs to hold straight razors or whatever.

~ This is the raw clay that has not been fired yet. Once done it will be in Gunmetal (black.)

~ The brush holder will accommodate any size or shape handle. A thin line is knotted on the outside of the holder and threaded through the side. It passes up and over the side, fitting right down into a designated slot to hold the damp brush.

~ Pricing looks to be around $32.00 give or take.

~ The flared edge has been flattened somewhat and slightly extended to ensure that the razors are secure. You can see they fit into the deeper slot in a more secure manner than the first version.

So tell me, what do you think? Not going for the hard sale - just not me - but is it something you would buy? If you would not buy, is there anything that can be done that would make it more appealing?

Thank you for helping out, it is much appreciated guys.

IMG_3044.jpeg
IMG_3046.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3039.jpeg

Last edited:

Tell me what you think @FarmerTan, @Lightcs1776, @02flhtci, @ackvil, @skibik, @Frozenshades, @stone and strop, @DocPapi, @RookieGuy, @Marhos24, @gvw755, @Rhody, @vacman, @MTG Jr, @GRUNTSHAVE, @Tedolph, @Suhrim21, @ouchyfoot, @AshleyQ, @Razorburne, @EclipseRedRing, @shave/brush, @It's Hedley, @Ron R, @Cphobes, @Whiterook, @Timeclo, @Aaron Hall, @Toothpick, @Gringo_Chulo, @BigD, @KeenDogg

~ It has the bottom lip of the one on the left in the original picture. Opinions were divided so I picked that one.

~ It was made taller to accommodate a razor up to 4 1/4" in length. That is a Feather with black handle that is 4 1/4" long.

~ It has a floor in it for the convenience of being able to store other items. Toothpaste and toothbrush are featured. The toothbrush is sitting in a holder (not seen) but the bottom can be rigged to your own personal needs to hold straight razors or whatever.

~ This is the raw clay that has not been fired yet. Once done it will be in Gunmetal (black.)

~ The brush holder will accommodate any size or shape handle. A thin line is knotted on the outside of the holder and threaded through the side. It passes up and over the side, fitting right down into a designated slot to hold the damp brush.

~ The flared edge has been flattened somewhat and slightly extended to ensure that the razors are secure. You can see they fit into the deeper slot in a more secure manner than the first version.

So tell me, what do you think? Not going for the hard sale - just not me - but is it something you would buy? If you would not buy, is there anything that can be done that would make it more appealing?

View attachment 1092274View attachment 1092275

View attachment 1092276

View attachment 1092277
View attachment 1092279
Wow. That is a big improvement for me. I would be very tempted to buy one.

It seems like you have interesting proto type bowls. At first I had to get my head around if it was for storing razors or a lather mixing bowl. If you use it for just a mixing bowl it has merit and use one razor it will work Ok IMO. If you put 5 razors on it for rack storage you would have to remove them every time to mix lather. To buy racks for razor storage are not cheap either. For $25-30 would be very tempting for myself. Living in Canada the price would be 1.38 times higher also.

That was my first reaction. I could see one for razor storage, but not as a dual-propose item. But that said, adding slots to the base could make a neat straight razor holder.

I would buy one if I had a sink with a counter. (Not just bolted to the wall). it’s both functional and artistic. As I stated before, married men that share the bathroom with there wives would be smart to buy something like this to assuage harmony in the toilette.
I liked the original one on the left with the rolled lip, and I think you have improved it.
You should charge at least $135 for it and they will be snapped up by decorators and high end shoppers as fast as you can crank them out. It’s a unique product and the niche market will pay for it.

FarmerTan

I would buy one if I had a sink with a counter. (Not just bolted to the wall). it’s both functional and artistic. As I stated before, married men that share the bathroom with there wives would be smart to buy something like this to assuage harmony in the toilette.
I liked the original one on the left with the rolled lip, and I think you have improved it.
You should charge at least $135 for it and they will be snapped up by decorators and high end shoppers as fast as you can crank them out. It’s a unique product and the niche market will pay for it.
As long as my royalties help pay for it....

The only problem I see is someone with even less scruples than I have making fakes.

But I'm a born cynic.

I like it, and would probably buy one as is. However, for me it would be even better if the top edge were extended out just a bit so that the razors would hang straight down, instead of (as it appears) angling outward. If that's just an optical illusion and they do, in fact, hang straight down, I'm happy with it. At your proposed price, I would probably buy one...or three (for my sons).

Any chance of them eventually being offered in a variety of colors?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I love it and would definitely consider purchasing one. I have some lovely Captain’s Choice pottery here in Australia and they could use a friend from their home country.

This is a definite improvement, but now that I see the real size (when things are actually put in it), I will pass because my counter space is already taken up. Price is just about right.

Nice work Cap. That design is far improved in my opinion. Great call on the brush holder design. That is a fair price estimate and something I would be more likely to buy over the first design. I think it's just down to counter space if I would buy one or not. In the process of buying the first house with the better half...

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I did not offer an opinion originally as I did not know what to use it for. Now that you have posted the new picture I could see this as something I would be interested in.

If is not really my style so I would not buy it. And modular solution for my razors anyhow. Not a big fan of breakable stuff in the bathroom.
A bottom is a smart idea though
And assuming the slots are nicely glaced smooth and big enough to handle let’s say a oneblade it should work. They are high enough to handle a black beauty so that is good.
Price point is good.
Pretty sure it wil make a lot of shavers happy.

Ok for me hmmmm
I would want to be able to take it even leave it in the shower/sauna
Just one razor slot
Just one variable width brush slot, no cords clips whatever on that brush
Beaker is nice for electric tooth brush, paste, maybe a hair brush
I would use a round bottom and top with a D shaped half cylinder so you can use that floating platform for the razor and brush and you get a drip tray
A removable drain plug in the bottom
Weighted Bottom with silicone ring for anti skid or scratching
Maybe silicone rings around it for grip.
And I would prefer unbreakable material though ceramics look better!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

View attachment 1092274View attachment 1092275

View attachment 1092276

View attachment 1092277
View attachment 1092279
Very practical stand, a small batch for sale might indicate if it appeals to others. I have over 40 razors and use racks but for a person with a few razors or his favorites would appeal to them possibly. I have seen some cheap razor and brush stands for $30 + and are not as nice as your proto type IMO.

FarmerTan

Nice work Cap. That design is far improved in my opinion. Great call on the brush holder design. That is a fair price estimate and something I would be more likely to buy over the first design. I think it's just down to counter space if I would buy one or not. In the process of buying the first house with the better half...
Brother, I just had to tell you that I wish you would post more often, lol.

The reason is your avatar! Every time I see it I almost belly laugh. That creature reminds me of what I suppose a baby Bigfoot looks like in the middle of a peaceful dream.

I sometimes look at my cats sleep and it is one of the most beautiful, peaceful easy feelings I ever get.

Lol, not sorry for the thread derailment Gents, it's just one of my many gifts.

Now about a razor brush stand for the collectors....
I would think of a modular stacked ring design on a heavy rotating base so you would get something like a chuppachup lollipop stand. With the difference that layers can be added when needed. Ideal a brush slot size with a silicone adapter to razor handle size.
Just an inspiration pick and although I am Dutch would never buy Delfts blue ;-)

Attachments

• 59C4ADE4-CF53-4DD8-A93B-2DC43F2AA21F.jpeg
    59C4ADE4-CF53-4DD8-A93B-2DC43F2AA21F.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom